The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X100 or K5?

durrIII

OK I love rangefinders, BUT I want to be able to shoot portraits. X100 or K5 and a prime? Let's hear it. Pros and cons for each. Thanks

Well there's really no choice. The K5 will offer you flexibility for portraits. The X100 (because of the 23 mm lens) means you will have to to stick to mid-chest-to-head, waist-to-head compositions. You will have to crop the X00 shots to get a tight head shot without perspective distortion. For portraits the K5 has no cons. You can use whatever lens you want, the IQ is great.

The X100 (which I own) is easy to carry around with you wherever you go. It has wonderful IQ and a lovely lens. But a 23 mm focal length lens is not a good choice for tight head shots.

Godfrey

OK I love rangefinders, BUT I want to be able to shoot portraits. X100 or K5 and a prime? Let's hear it. Pros and cons for each. Thanks
All depends on the type of portraits you want to do. For traditional head n shoulder stuff, you need a longer lens.

A Pentax K5 and FA43/1.9 + DA70/2.4 or FA77/1.8 makes a great portrait kit. I use an Olympus E-5 plus 35, 50 and 85 mm lenses myself for that kind of portraiture.

woodyspedden

So, you think I should get the X100 AND the K5 w/77 Ltd?
I have both the X100 and the K-5. Getting both is one way to solve some issues but I must tell you that the K-5 with the 31 FA is a real winner as well!

I shot some comparisons yesterday with those two combinations and the results were remarkably similar. Colors were virtually identical. The biggest difference I could see was that the X100 had better corner sharpness than the 31 FA although not by a lot. You can see it if you are looking carefully as in a comparison, but you would probably not notice in real life shots

Both are pretty special cameras. I will probably use the K-5 more often because of the versatility associated with interchangeable lenses

Best

Woody