The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

disturbing news....

stephengilbert

According to the website, you guys are in agreement with the 70+ percent of responders who disagree with the decision. Too bad none of them or you likely know what the evidence was.

I am actually an appellate lawyer, and while it might make the readers of the article happy if the guy appeals, it might well cost him a hefty fee to have some other judges tell him they can't overrule the jury's findings of fact.

My guess is the case gets settled: she takes less money, and he waives his right to appeal. But I only do criminal appeals; marital disputes are much more likely to be vengeful and vicious that simple murders and such.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I don't think it's all that uncommon that a couple intend to marry but before the final "yes" in the church one of them changes his / her mind and calls the wedding off. I've never heard that such a crisis should be illegal in any way, at least not here in little Denmark. Sad maybe, but not illegal.
Btw. I've seen quite a lot of movies more or less about that theme, one of them a rather funny one with Julia Roberts and Richard Gere.

stephengilbert

Bondo,

It isn't illegal; that term refers to a crime. What the case is about is an action between two people for damages, a civil case. I haven't heard of such a case in recent years, but when I was in law school I read a book called "The Art of Cross Examination," that included a famous "breach of promise" trial from the early 20th century involving a similar case. A woman sued her wealthy fiance for backing out on his promise to marry her. (The case is reported here: http://law.jrank.org/pages/2645/Martinez-v-Del-Valle-1877.html)

Even 30 years ago I thought the case was foolish.

Steve

D

dlew308

So if this is really the new foundation.....
That runaway bride should be sued for breaking the engagement plus face fraud for her false story. I'm guessing maybe these two were legally married on paper for her to win? This can only be bad for the country and only good for lawyers :p

D

dlew308

Shouldn't such things be seen as frivolous and tossed out? It's apparent the woman only wanted to marry him for his money. That should be fraud in itself...just my 2 cents :)

Bondo,

It isn't illegal; that term refers to a crime. What the case is about is an action between two people for damages, a civil case. I haven't heard of such a case in recent years, but when I was in law school I read a book called "The Art of Cross Examination," that included a famous "breach of promise" trial from the early 20th century involving a similar case. A woman sued her wealthy fiance for backing out on his promise to marry her. (The case is reported here: http://law.jrank.org/pages/2645/Martinez-v-Del-Valle-1877.html)

Even 30 years ago I thought the case was foolish.

Steve

O

Oxide Blu

Bondo,

It isn't illegal; that term refers to a crime.
Sometimes it does; sometimes it doesn't.

"Illegal" = prohibited by law.

Not all laws relate to crimes. Some do; some don't. Fraud is illegal but not always criminal. :thumbup: