The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wherever we go, pigs follow...

Don Libby

Don, I am still wondering what the title to that post means. Maybe someone will enlighten us all...or I am the only one who doesn't get it. Charles
When Ken & I first talked about this blog it was a no brainer on what we wanted to include in it. The difficult part came t naming the thread. Several emails were sent back and forth and with the lack of adult supervision the title kept going down hill. We soon found ourselves going from suggesting tame titles to R then X and hitting rock bottom at XXX. Someone ended an email with something along the lines of "wherever we go pig follow" and it stuck. Seeing as how this wasn't an official Pigs in a Blanket "function" (said tongue in cheek) we felt the title was close enough.

Welcome to our heads. Spooky how a retired fed and district attorney thinks isn't it?

And now back to our regularly scheduled program.

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Don Libby

I ordered a newer card shortly after getting the P65. It's not only faster but I'm getting better subtle shades of color...

dogstarnyc

Me too Don.... I was talking to Ken about it just today... Are your cards move of a Funji Velvia or Provia colour or are you talking more like the Koodak route of subtle yellows ...?

I'd love your feedback as I'm in for some new cards myself... lately mine have been giving me a bluish cast that i'm not 100% happy with, what do you think?

Steve

Don Libby

Steve - I'm familiar with your conversations w/Ken on this subject.

What color is your current card? I'm thinking that if blur then it might have bled inside the card causing the bluish cast. I also see that the images could be a little sharper - a trick I picked up is swiping the card prior to insertion.

:poke:

kdphotography

You know, Steve, you might like Sandisk. It has more of a Velvia flavor. Lexar has that Kodak Portra flavor. :D

These images are from the slot canyons, shot with the 35mm and 55mm lenses. .6 and 1 second exposures. The large screen of the IQ180 is an obvious joy to work with, but it's the histogram thumbnail tool (and other tools also) on the side that really makes the IQ180 easy to use and quickly adjust settings in situations like the slot canyons. :thumbup: And two thumbs up for nice saturated Sandisk colors.... :thumbs: ;) :D

ken

Last edited:

Tim Ernst

Thanks for your great images guys - I don't think we expected anything less! A quick funny story about Hunts Mesa. Several years ago I was up there shooting with David Muench. We were sitting on top of a rock near the campfire trying to figure out how to cut up those big old steaks with plastic knives and forks. He looked over at me and got this big grin, then just grabbed his steak with both hands and dug in. The meat was actually not all that great, but sitting next to the great master himself while chowing down like that was priceless...

kdphotography

Tim,

Where was your P&S camera? That would have been a priceless capture eating steaks with David Muench! Tom has upped the finishing touches for dinner: we used real forks and knives!

Sunbeam from Upper Antelope. IQ180, ISO 35, 35mm D, f/4.5 @ .6 secs. If you look close, you can see two more sunbeams coming down into the slots in the middle.

Nicholas with Don at Lower Antelope. I think Nicholas talked Don's ear off (as he also did Tom Phillip's). One of the few IQ180 grab-shots that I have at ISO 3200. IQ180 handheld, 35mm D, f/3.5 @1/40th.

This is another thing that is really nice about the IQ180 UI: it's very quick and easy to change your camera settings. Clean, nice and intuitively easy to use. Tools are easily accessible. Nice upgrade to the dual axis horizon level tool. :thumbup:

ken

Don Libby

I just did a quick blog on the experiences using a tech camera in a slot canyon along with all the gear. I'm tired just reading it...

Here's a couple from the second day shooting the Cambo WRS1000 or is it a Cambo 1025.50 with the wood grips? Love the files from the P65+. Some of these turned out to be in excess of 100 megapixels!

Nick didn't really talk my ear off however I still laugh at the remarks other photographers made when they saw him carrying the tripod and camera...

dogstarnyc

Ken - Don,

My cards were blue...!!!! I like your warm tones so gonna try a few Sandisks and see what happens...

Lovely shots BTW lads... will upload mine this week (yeah yeah yeah).

Seriously... my estata 'box' that holds my 4 drives started clicking a couple of days ago and I'm scared it will corrupt them so until the new raid 10 box arrives... I'm not turning them on.....

Steve

Don Libby

"This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.
Sorry about that."

The above message is what I got when I opened the link :thumbdown:

johnnygoesdigital

Ken,

Stunning photography. I love the pic of Don and Nicholas on the smooth sandstone, what camera is Don using in that photo? A father and son photo adventure will not only create lasting images, but timeless memories too! Thanks for sharing.

kdphotography

Ken,

Stunning photography. I love the pic of Don and Nicholas on the smooth sandstone, what camera is Don using in that photo? A father and son photo adventure will not only create lasting images, but timeless memories too! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks---still tons of images to go through, but swamped here. I really do enjoy my time with my sons, and taking them along to memorable locations is a lot of fun.

Don is using his Leica M9; he used his Cambo RS on a return visit. Nicholas used a pimped out Panasonic GF1 with RRS L bracket and cable release, which worked really well.

One final note on the transition to the IQ180: Moving from the Phase P30/P45+ to the P65+, there is a definite learning curve. I had to modify my photographic approach slightly. With the move from the P65+ to the IQ180, it really is seamless, and if anything, is easier and faster. For those coming from a P+ back, the transition will be easy and intuitive. It's all about the user-interface.

ken

Tim Ernst

My transition was from a P-45+ direct to the IQ 180 and it took me all of about two seconds - in fact everything is a lot easier with the new back so there was really no learning curve at all.