The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Long Journey: Maintaining an Expensive Hobby and a Good Marriage

simonclivehughes

I have written an article for my website entitled The Long Journey. (Subtitle: Maintaining an Expensive Hobby and a Good Marriage)

A slightly tongue-in-cheek look at G.A.S. and how I have managed to come out of the other end a (relatively) whole person. ;)

Hope you may find it enjoyable.

Cheers,

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I have written an article for my website entitled The Long Journey. (Subtitle: Maintaining an Expensive Hobby and a Good Marriage)

A slightly tongue-in-cheek look at G.A.S. and how I have managed to come out of the other end a (relatively) whole person. ;)

Hope you may find it enjoyable.

Cheers,
Dear Simon, I was delighted to read your essay, which is thoughtful and introspective. I have had a similar path, though admittedly my equipment has not gone through as many variations. The common thread is my wife, who not only tolerates the lunacy, but encourages it. She is a psychiatrist by training and I think she understands that the gear and what I can (sometimes) do with it, is important to me, makes me happy, and keeps me from boredom (for example, as I seek the perfect bag)(perhaps a new section in your piece on bags; I am sure you have had dozens). Keep at it.

simonclivehughes

Alan, I do believe that you have a remote camera in my home. I should rush to point out however, that it is my firm belief that camera bags breed unnoticed in the closets, thus unfairly inflating the number our spouses see. We are tragic men.

We really should get into the habit of putting an equal amount of money, for any GAS-related purchase, into an account for our patient, understanding, supportive, loving spouses and significant others.

CIao,