The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

in the day ...

Godfrey

I'm continuing my read of "Walker Evans", the autobiography by Belinda Rathbone. We're into the early and middle 'thirties now. In one paragraph describing how Walker Evans was instructing one of his friends how to make photographs, he says, "... Set your camera for 1/20 second. Use f/9 on the shady side of the street and f/45 on the sunny side. ..."

Great street shooting advice. That works for about ISO 200 ... Hmm. I don't have many lenses that stop down past f/22, though.

Godfrey

One of the greatest photographers. f/45? Guess he didn't use an m4/3 camera then ;)
:) I suspect that an Olympus E-PL2 would have been considered an artifact from outer space if it dropped into his hands in the 1930s. ;-)

I don't know what camera he was referring to, it's not clear from the text. I know he did a lot of his work with Leicas and also a lot with 4x5 and 8x10 cameras.