The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Free service in jeopardy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Suggestion to the moderators at this forum.

To the moderators at this forum: I suggest that all for sale threads be allowed only posts by the original poster. And all potential buyers communicate by sending PM to the seller. This way you will not have to moderate sale threads.
Great idea. They do it that way on the rolexforums and it seems to work fine. Not sure how easy that functionality (or lack of) can be implemented here.

PeterA

I have been a very happy buyer of gear on this forum I don't know exactly how much, maybe over 100K of transactions - and have only had one bad experience - which I take total responsibility for. On two other occasions there was a problem with what I bought and the sellers wanted to pay for any cost of fixing or offered to take the item back.

I would never buy again from a person who isn't a regular or cant be vouched for by someone privately and in breaking this rule I made my mistake.

The notion of policing prices is anathema to a market as Marc and other s have said one way or another.

Leave things as they are.

If you don't like the price dont buy it - simple.

jlm

Workshop Member
seems like the only problem is when someone comments the pricing is too high, thus undermining the seller's effort.

Uhh..this is the internet, not some backroom house of deals

I say let it go un-monitored or limit responses to pm's only

weinschela

Subscriber Member
What is the problem with simply ignoring new sellers that have added nothing to the community?

I understand what everyone is saying about preserving community but again I say why can't everyone just do the obvious, ignore them.
Point well-taken. I won't buy from a new poster, but that has nothing to do with price and everything to do with trust.

kdphotography

Okay I'm having a stressful day. Lol

Hey I'm sitting next to 4 hot ladies on the beach and Nancy on the other side of me. I can only look one way so long before I get my *** kicked. Talk about stress. Lol

Sent from my iPhone
Testing Sensor+ technology, of course! (ok, wrong sensor+)

:D

johnnygoesdigital

Bob,

With all due respect, I think Leicashot was only suggesting that the FS thread in question, had moved away from the original intention and thought that a moderator should intervene not soley because of pricing, but because of the tone some were taking, IMO. I think (leicashot's) inputs were valuable and thought provoking, his inputs were a great contribution from a professional perspective and should be considered a valuable asset to this community.
Most people are very respectable here, it shows the integrity of this "community", which to me, is the key word. When I see another post on another forum from a GetDPI member whose name I recognize, i'm like hey, I know you! This is essential for the sense of trust that has become the hallmark of GetDPI... The very fact that this discussion is taking place is because of this sense of community, but we also want to freely express our opinions respectfully, without the thought of being banned either.

Markets always dictate price.. Reliance within a community equates to trust...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Like I have said before no one knows what goes on with the backend to this forum. We NEVER air out our dirty laundry in public. So what you may seem as over reaction in public is simply not the case. We will never let anyone know what really is going on behind closed doors. That is our moderators policy.

A very old saying never judge a book by it's cover is so true here in regards to what is going on behind the scenes and what we deal with.

Like I also said you got a issue or a problem with something use the PM system or contact me. I have no problem of being called the asshole here. That is my job.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Like I have said before no one knows what goes on with the backend to this forum. We NEVER air out our dirty laundry in public. So what you may seem as over reaction in public is simply not the case. We will never let anyone know what really is going on behind closed doors. That is our moderators policy.

A very old saying never judge a book by it's cover is so true here in regards to what is going on behind the scenes and what we deal with.

Like I also said you got a issue or a problem with something use the PM system or contact me. I have no problem of being called the asshole here. That is my job.
Guy,
I thought that was my job LOL.
At least I didn't give him a permanent ban, just a cooling off period.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Btw banning someone around here we have control for the longevity of that ban be it 24 hours to life. So maybe the word banning sounds pretty intense or forever it is not the case. Like to say myself not fond of the word myself but honestly for a forum member we really only 1 percent of Time have banned someone for life. Usually it is just a cooling off period. Now spammers get banned imediately and for life. But normal forum members these things may look bad in public but hardly ever the case. Again not fond of the word banning because it sounds permenant which is not the case.

D&A

Guy Wrote--->>> "So maybe the word banning sounds pretty intense or forever it is not the case"<<<

Hmmm, what ever happened to using the time tested phrase "Timed Out". It was completely understandable to this once 5 year old, every time he overwound and broke his Dad's 8mm movie camera's internal spring :). Of course chewing gum in class provoked use of the same phrase too! On the other hand, using "being sent to the Principal's Office" ...well I don't think would work too well here on Getdpi:ROTFL:

In all honesty, I'm glad we're all having the opportunity to express our feelings about what transpired and possibly how things should be handled...as it would be a shame to loose the privilages and spirit of the Getdpi "FS" forum. It will always be difficult to get a overwhelming identical concensus on how to handle things, since to some who photography is a profession, looks at equipment and purchases somewhat differently than that of the "collector" or as the amateur photographer does.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

bob338

I know I'm new here, so my comment doesn't carry much weight, but you are the first person I thought of when someone mentioned the 'old boys network' earlier.
The 35mm Summilux Titanium you had for sale at $3250 turned into a long thread of backslapping and it helped you sell a very overpriced lens. Maybe the buyer really thought it was worth that much money, but they may also have been influenced by the 'Ashwin is super' pile on that occurred.

my .02

Bob

Puttin' my $0.02 in for what it's worth. I have had THE BEST buying and selling experiences here at GetDPI. The gang here is, nearly without exception, trustworthy, friendly, and as a result of the forum and even as a result of buy-sell, I have made some great friends in the photo world.

I think that the Mods have done a remarkable job keeping the service open for use, friendly, and well received. They have a hard, and thankless job, and they do it supremely well.

As for me, I feel that I can make my own choices with regards to whom I should buy and sell with. I always ask for people to present a record of good standing somewhere (prefereably here), and my partners in sale have asked the same of me. Regarding "pricing", it's on all of us to set the market. I personally don't like to upmark items, but that doesn't necessarily dictate how others may choose to do their business. If an item is priced too-high, I simply ignore it and move on. If I have an item that I desire at a certain price-point, I post WTB ads, and they have, for the most part, been met by gracious individuals who have granted my wishes. I find the entire experience to be well moderated, not intrusive, and constructive. I agree with the mod's sentiments entirely that there shouldn't be price policing here. Simply ignoring an overpriced item should be a message enough to the seller, if there happens to be someone out there who chooses a high price on a lens, then kudos to all, as both supply and demand have been met....

I, for one, plan to continue to use this service, and I appreciate what you all have done for the photographic community (in my case, Lecia).

Thumbs up, kudos, good job guys, rock on!!! All good!

Guy Mancuso

Bob you carry as much weight as anyone else around here . New to the forum or old to it. If you participate than you gain that respect always.

stephengilbert

While I agree that there's often too much of the "great deal, buy this lens" kind of posting, I think there's a difference between hyping the item for sale and providing feedback on the seller. Saying that "I bought a lens from X, and it was delivered promptly and was fairly described" has a value to prospective buyers. Saying that a particular Leica lens offered at a high price is a good deal is entirely different. As I've said before, If I can't say that the price is silly, why should someone else get to say it's reasonable?

Guy Mancuso

While I agree that there's often too much of the "great deal, buy this lens" kind of posting, I think there's a difference between hyping the item for sale and providing feedback on the seller. Saying that "I bought a lens from X, and it was delivered promptly and was fairly described" has a value to prospective buyers. Saying that a particular Leica lens offered at a high price is a good deal is entirely different. As I've said before, If I can't say that the price is silly, why should someone else get to say it's reasonable?
I agree seller feedback is fine but leave any reference to price out good, bad or indifferent . I know sometimes even I am guilty of wow that is a nice price.

robmac

As SG suggests. No pricing comments - good or bad. Comments on seller being reputable - that's fair as we really don't have a numerical rating system say like FM.

Publicly chastising someone for not being willing to leave money on the table given market conditions is fine - as long as we're also all willing to pay up to fair market when we come across 'a steal' because the seller is in a financial crunch or ignorant of what they have. Can't have it both ways.

If someone's motives, selling technique, price bother you - just move on quietly shaking your head. What something is worth and what techniques you find bothersome, as long as they play by the rules, might not mean one iota to the next person.

After all, we're not talking food stuffs or medical supplies after a natural disaster here...

SYGTAFOTO

It's ridiculous think for one second to tell anyone how much they should sell their items for. It doesn't matter what the current market value is, if the majority starts to buy the item at a premium price, that becomes the market value. That is how Supply/Demand works. It's as simple as that. If the market doesn't believe the premium price, it won't sell. In the end, seller has the right to ask for whatever price, and market will decide the rest.

My $0.02

Guy Mancuso

Btw I know all the tricks of bumping your ad up to the top. Trust me your not fooling anyone. Try limiting that to once a day folks. No hard rule here And I really don't want to make one either but do respect others ads by not keep pushing them down the threads.

Problem I really see lately is people pushing the rules to the bare limits and riding that out continually. Folks I have been on the forums for years as well as Jack and our mods. Please dont think we don't notice this behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.