The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Free service in jeopardy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fotografz

Folks your mixing the debate. No one cares about the market what we care about is the commentary that follows the OP ad. If your a buyer ask the questions that you need answered to make the purchase. What is the issue at hand is the negative comments that follow these ads. This ends now. It is a classified ad and it will remain one just like a newspaper ad. You get the chance to ask questions you do NOT get the chance to say I bought this yesterday for 1000 dollars less for example and such negative comments like
this. Our issue is these seemingly endless debates on FS ads. Stay out of folks ads if your not interested in buying with lame comments. You want to talk about a item than post it in the forum section and debate till the cows come home. Not here in someone's ad. If I listed a phase 28mm lens for example as a FS ad than I would be extremely pissed if some knucklehead kept saying how much this lens sucked or was overpriced. It simple is not fair and quite rude to get into these debates on a FS ad. The seller has no chance in hell to sell a item for even a fair price with this kind of commentary going on.

Now we control the for sale ads as they are posted. If things from a seller make no sense or seems to be miss communicating his ad properly we than ask them to make certain changes to there ad. Just did it yesterday to say LNIB not new. What we are after is honest for sale ads that describe the item correctly and to keep the commentary off these ads. You want to debate take it to the forum itself not in someone's ad it is just flat out rude.

If you consistently get involved in these debates on FS ads than sorry your in a world of hurt. It ends today. Not sure how much clearer I need to be stay out of the ads unless you are a buyer and have legitimate questions to ask. If you really want to say something to the sell than PM him or her. That is what the PM system is for. If you have a problem with there price than PM them and Kindly let them know it seems to high or whatever you feel is necessary. But be a Friend about too. This is a no harassment site and it will always be one. Let's make that perfectly clear right now. Your harassing sellers with commentary that does not belong on FS ads.
:thumbs: :thumbs: :) :thumbs:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I fully support the no comments unless you are a potential buyer asking a question.
But something seems to be getting missed here . The buyer can certainly make their case (as long as they aren t obviously misleading like saying its an asph lens and showing a picture of a non asph).

Its the friends of the buyer that jump in saying great guy,great price ,free bump . They have no more place than the guy saying you can get it cheaper . There is a place for positive feedback and its not in an active listing.

2nd issue is reselling brand new items as having a full warranty. Leica s policy in the USA is that M9 s and M lenses warranty is not transferrable. I know buyers slide by if they can get an original invoice from a dealer ..otherwise good luck . Its not right to list an item as having a full warranty unless you can support it with a dealer invoice (and if you can do that what are you doing in the member area).

Might as well clean up the abuses on both sides at the same time.

monza

I agree, if there will be no negative comments, there should be no positive comments. No comment! ;)

Terry

We've been cleaning up comments both negative and positive.

But to apply a NY saying to GetDPI -

"If you see something, Say something"

Terry

What about the warranty question? Thanks
Roger - every camera company warranty is different. You cite Leica's, what is Canons? what is Nikon's? The moderators can't have a full knowledge base of all of the brands and exactly what their warranty is. Leica of all of them is the most complex because for every rule there seem to be stories of where that rule hasn't been enforced. If you are a buyer and the seller says there is a warranty, check it out and do your due diligence on how it works. For instance the buyer may include the bill of sale. I've certainly been asked for a bill of sale on gear I've sold.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's a great question Roger and is no definitive answer possible from us. I suggest a potential buyer ask that question directly of the seller and ask for documentation. Not just talking Leica here, looking at the broader products out there there are a lot of different programs that vary also over time. But a very good question for buyers to ask of sellers and to get proof.

I also agree on the slap on the back comments. I do like that he is a good seller that deliveries on time as that has value for a buyer. But like that really directed at a sellers performance not that he is a great friend of mine stuff. I know a little wishy washy here and a grey area but i think folks are smart enough to make those comments as value added and not a free bump. I will leave that with we can delete them too as people abuse these wishy washy things and hate to even give them a idea about it. I'm going to pay for this one. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

stephengilbert

A little free legal advice: unless a seller can prove that something is covered by a manufacturer's warranty, assume that it isn't.

A bill of sale in the seller's name may prove that the item isn't stolen, and even that the warranty is still valid, but it doesn't answer the question of whether a subsequent buyer can rely on the warranty. A Google search indicates that Leica warranties aren't transferable. Presumably, if they are, a seller could cite some proof.

wattsy

There is a certain amount of anecdotal evidence that Leica AG in Solms will honour the remaining period of a warranty, even when ownership has transferred. Having said that, I haven't actually seen it written down anywhere on official documentation nor, even if true in practice, does it mean that Leica NJ will do so. At best, it will mean shipping stuff to Germany for warranty repair.

Guy Mancuso

Let me go back a second on warranty issues, condition, price and such are not the responsibility of GetDPI. These are bewteen buyer and seller to settle between themselves. We simply are not responsible for this stuff.

Amin

I've often commented when I see a great price. Has nothing to do with being chummy with the seller - just a compliment for a great price. Never realized it bothered anyone. Now, that I know, I'll stop doing it.

As for negative comments about price, there's no way to allow those without a moderation disaster. Some people will cry price gouging if you refuse to sell a Noctilux at the price you paid in 1976.

jlm

Workshop Member
since all sorts of issues are coming up...what about state sales taxes?

and recording those leica markup profits as income?

monza

The forum is just providing ad space. Deals are between buyers and sellers, including price, warranty, and whatever else (sales tax?). Others shouldn't comment on ads pro or con. Doesn't that about make things as simple as can be? ;)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The forum is just providing ad space. Deals are between buyers and sellers, including price, warranty, and whatever else (sales tax?). Others shouldn't comment on ads pro or con. Doesn't that about make things as simple as can be? ;)
Yup,
if this were a classified in a newspaper, then nobody would be able to go around scribbling on everyone's ads LOL
more and more I am liking the idea of an ad thread to be write-by-original-poster only.
and maybe no edits, only incremental posts.
-bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
True but not relevant to a USA sale where the buyer is explicitly told he gets the warranty.

There is a certain amount of anecdotal evidence that Leica AG in Solms will honour the remaining period of a warranty, even when ownership has transferred. Having said that, I haven't actually seen it written down anywhere on official documentation nor, even if true in practice, does it mean that Leica NJ will do so. At best, it will mean shipping stuff to Germany for warranty repair.

Guy Mancuso

Pretty much sums it up

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Yes except when you know the ad contains false information ...like the promise of warranty coverage that doesn t exist.

Guy Mancuso

Yes except when you know the ad contains false information ...like the promise of warranty coverage that doesn t exist.
Roger I am simple not going to make a policy on warranties. That is a buyers due diligence to find that out as there are so many OEMs out there with different policies. Simply put this is not about Leica alone. Theses are buyer and sellers issues and no one is going to guarantee these issues on my side of the fence on any forum or sale site. First order of business is GetDPI or any other forum will protect itself from legal issues. Sorry but areas like this we just don't get into nor would any other forum. Our rules pretty much spell this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.