The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Free service in jeopardy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just to be clear from our B&S rules

*** First, understand GetDPI.com offers this as a free service for our members and makes no warranties or implications regarding the veracity of the posters or items listed for sale, as such USE OF THIS FORUM IS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Double Negative

Not Available
So let's all agree to some basic rules (suggestions, whatever) that seem to keep coming up:

1) No commenting in FS threads, good or bad. Legitimate questions that may benefit other potential buyersl (e.g. "What's the date code?") should be okay.

2) No price policing, which we know about. Let's try a little harder to bite our tongues (myself included). We'll let this "free market" thing play out. No "what a great price" or "that price is ludicrous" posts...

3) No "atta boys" and "he's a swell dude." posts. If a seller needs any "boosting" then let it be through the feedback thread - that means more anyway.

4) Buyers are responsible for doing their homework, any details of the deal such as warranties, etc. are up to them and the seller to figure out. If it's not in writing somewhere, assume it ain't.

5) If something really stinks, report the post. Let the moderators do what moderators do. You did your part, they'll take a look and do theirs.

Let's cut the mods some slack on this now and try to return to cooler things, like posting photos. We've all vented now I think?

Obviously we can't change the way people do business. But if you do some homework on a seller you can probably form your own conclusions and choose whether or not you wish to do business with them. We need an "ignore" button. ;)

Anyway, group hug. Rock on, Guy and gang. Thanks for all that is GetDPI.

Guy Mancuso

You nailed it very well and to add we are a friendly community and that truly is the GetDPI way and shall always be. The owners and mods work very hard to make it that way along with the great members that we have. It's a team folks

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Bob,

With all due respect, I think Leicashot was only suggesting that the FS thread in question, had moved away from the original intention and thought that a moderator should intervene not soley because of pricing, but because of the tone some were taking, IMO. I think (leicashot's) inputs were valuable and thought provoking, his inputs were a great contribution from a professional perspective and should be considered a valuable asset to this community.
Most people are very respectable here, it shows the integrity of this "community", which to me, is the key word. When I see another post on another forum from a GetDPI member whose name I recognize, i'm like hey, I know you! This is essential for the sense of trust that has become the hallmark of GetDPI... The very fact that this discussion is taking place is because of this sense of community, but we also want to freely express our opinions respectfully, without the thought of being banned either.

(...)

+ 1

I think banning policy is a far more serious problem than prices and price comments.

If I recall correctly the very make of the GetDPI forum and the following exodus to this forum originates from the macho and dictatorial banning practice on the Fred Miranda forum (FM forum).
At least that was what made me leave FM and follow Guy and Jack to GetDPI.

This is all so sadly déjà vu.

So please free Kristian (leicashot) from the ban, I simply don’t get it how and why he deserves this treatment.

~Steen

raywest

Afaik, it has always been difficult to mix business with friendship. The B&S seems to upset more folk than any other area on here, and probably causes the mods more effort than the rest of it put together. Imho, it adds nothing to the Getdpi forum itself, and by association it drags down the quality standing of the rest of the forum.

Whatever rules are added/changed to B&S, it will need some moderating to enforce them. Why would you expect an unpaid person to want to get involved in sorting out disputes between folk who are trying to make/save money on a deal? Whichever way it goes, it results in at least one person being upset. Also, in particular for high value items, I would be concerned about the legal consequences of various scenarios that could develop.

I believe it would be best for Getdpi that the free B&S was removed.

Best wishes,

Ray

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Folks,
for those who are looking at this from a fairness point of view, note that we have limited resources to manage this forum. Those folks have day jobs and treat this as a totally volunteer effort.
I wish that the forum software indicated the length of a ban. Instead it just says "banned".
We have spent many hours collectively this week moderating the B/S forum and we really do not have the time for it.
It reminds me os a riot of sorts when once and awhile a popular issue of substance or otherwise, gets blown out of proportion and generates a tremendous amount of comment.
The B/S section, has several special rules which go along with its nature. these rules are being enforced.
We use techniques that range from gentle persuasion through yellow cards (infractions) to temporary bans to permanent bans.
Just so that you are all aware of our policy, an individual who has been given an infraction, if another infraction is earned within the infraction period will be given a temporary ban. Repeated offenders are subject to a permanent ban.
I would rather not to have to do this but it seems to be the most effective technique at my disposal.
This thread has run its course, and is being locked.
thanks for your kind understanding.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Ray well said and the issues at hand and my main concern. I'm still noodling on all of this. There has been way too much chatter going on in theses ads lately and even as innocent as some have been or some would think there have been, it's been a major issue with other members and the mods. Theses are ads between buyers and sellers and everyone else needs to stay off them. Folks simple don't understand all that happens in these ads. This section is not part of the forum threads themselves and discussions are not to be made in them except for the explicit questions between buyer and seller. Not sure why this just is not clear and a extremely simple rule we have that for some reason people cannot follow. To me it's pretty sad and also pretty sad to see some hug the rules line pretty close to the edge. I know every trick in the book on this stuff on buy and sell forums and sorry folks you cannot fool me. Don't try is my advice.

We will continue as we are today but I make no promises on this being free for much longer if these issues keep clouding the whole site. Ray hit the nail on the head and my biggest concern is this is effecting the whole site. I do promise you this that will not happen on my watch and if we need to make a drastic change than it will be done to avoid that. As owners that is Jacks and my main role here and we will do whatever it takes to be the GetDPI way. Thanks for your support

Status
Not open for further replies.