The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The end of tolerances reached ?

Mike M

Stefan, these are great links. Thanks again for posting

@cng...thanks for the links too. I am looking forward to seeing press pause play

Stefan Steib

Hi Mike

I know this is totally off topic (well maybe not completely as it illustrates the modular thought that is evolving with the iPhone now), but this is the next shock here - made by Fostex - a really nice audio module for the iPhone 4

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/AR-4i.shtml

This shows how easy it would be with an interface to extend existing technology. Tomorrows cameras must become like this, that´s for sure.
So Ricoh´s attempt is probably a very clever one, especially with the Leica M module now. But - not very consequent as people who spent thousands on the lenses would have not bothered buying a full format chip/camera module for 2-3x the price of that small version now. Bad product placement, wrong customer research data.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mike

I know this is totally off topic(well maybe not completely as it illustrates the modular thought that is eveolving with the iPhone now), but this is the next shock here - made by Fostex - a really nice audio module for the iPhone 4

This shows how easy it would be with an interface to extend existing technology. Tomorrows cameras must become like this, that´s for sure.
So Ricoh´s attempt is probably a very clever one, especially with the Leica M module now. But - not very consequent as people who spent thousands on the lenses would have not bothered buying a full format chip/camera module for 2-3x the price of that small version now. Bad product placement, wrong customer research data.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan
What is the point of this post in this thread?
Is it just one that happens to be open?
thanks
-bob

Stefan Steib

Hi Bob

the reason this makes sense is showing the integrated interface of the iPhone is something that extends it by far over it´s original intention (whereas I think the people at Apple certainly had stuff like this in their mind - thus the SDK and the interfaces.) .

Imagine an IQ140/160/180 with an iPhone 5 dock, maybe supporting LTE (who knows ?) to get your shots directly to your image service/customer/home server ?

The direction is shown, I hope Phase and Hasselblad and all the others will understand. It is pretty much frightening to see how fast the so called consumer market devellops the technology which is missing on the Pro segment.

regards
Stefan

Mike M

Hi Mike

I know this is totally off topic (well maybe not completely as it illustrates the modular thought that is evolving with the iPhone now), but this is the next shock here - made by Fostex - a really nice audio module for the iPhone 4

Greetings from Munich
Stefan
That's 1000% right on topic and another perfect example of how all things digital are in the constant process of integrating together.

The M module from Ricoh makes sense too because it is one more step towards breaking down the boundaries that exist between camera brands. It is an example of how digital forces brands to integrate together....which will eventually lead to a point where it's difficult to tell any difference between brands at all.

Mike M

What is the point of this post in this thread?
Is it just one that happens to be open?
thanks
-bob
Stefan and I have been discussing the conflicts between mechanical purism and digital integration. So the thread can actually go on for as long as there is a conflict :D

The online forum is also a hybrid between mechanical and digital mediums. Typography is mechanical and sequential/linear. But the internet is digital and simultaneous/mosaic. This causes a lot of problems for people that want things to stay linear or "on topic."

The typographic aspects of the forum demand "closure." An example is this thread about tilts and swings: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29495 The question asked by the OP had definitive answers, so it fit perfectly into the typographic medium. There was a clearly defined beginning (question) and closing (answers)....and everybody walked away happy lol

But general statements and aphorisms don't have definitive answers, so they belong to the mosaic/non-linear side of the digital internet forum. Conversations like the "The end of tolerances reached" can go on for as long as people want to continue them. In fact, this thread is a good example of what the future of internet discussion is going to look like. Linear threads that "stay on-topic" can easily be recalled through a search function, so over time there will be less of a need to create them.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
OK, then it is off-topic and being moved in-toto to the sunset bar.
thanks
-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
No, and I am not amused :loco:
This is a photography forum and it is further sorted into categories. If you want to talk about whatever, then it belongs here.
There are an awful lot of complaints about threads like these so we are working to enforce it a bit more.
-bob

Mike M

Stefan, best of luck with your business and future

I actually really enjoyed talking to you...we only really scratched the surface

Take care man..I'm pretty much outta here too

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I just became aware of this thread. Thanks to all contributors, there's some real food for thought and lots of useful links in here. Off topic? I don't think so. Photography itself is rather off the track compared to what it was just a few years ago. Camera phones today are much more advanced cameras and much more advanced computers than either cameras or computers were only a decade back. This creates a creative market way beyond the industrialised parts of the world that have been participating until recently.

And since this thread is drifting so widely anyway:
I have friends who live in wooden shacks out in the middle of nowhere in rural parts of Asia. Most of them have never had access to computers or cameras. Now, for $50, they can buy a camera phone that enables them to document and communicate their lives in a way that for them was pure science fiction only a couple of years ago. While high quality image capture and the creativity associated with it has been an elitist industrialised world phenomenon until now, with western travel photographers crisscrossing the world with their Hasselblads and Nikons, documenting the "unknown", the "unknowns" are now about to do that documentation themselves, thus unleashing the creative potential of literally billions of people.

There's a direct line between the $50 Samsung and the $20,000 Hasselblad and all the various iPhone, Nikon and Leica dots in between; in a historical perspective, they all represent bleeding edge technology. But while that kind of technological achievements used to be the domain of men in white laboratory coats, it's now put to good, creative use for an increasing part of the population. And although very few will turn into professional artists, making a living from their photography, this development is changing the lives of a great many people and the political direction of whole nations.

Just thought I'd mention it :)

Mike M

Stefan was the inspiration for the thread so I don't feel like discussing now that he's gone. Banned? ...I know it probably happened for something in another thread or something that isn't public...but it definitely changes my perception of this place. Not that anybody should care...but I'm gonna jump ship in solidarity with Stefan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The Sunest Bar is the appropriate spot for this thread given the direction it has taken and the emotion it generated. Feel free to carry-on with it here, however behavior not in compliance with our rules will continue to be dealt with according to how we state they will in those same rules.

Carry on,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Stefan was the inspiration for the thread so I don't feel like discussing now that he's gone. Banned? ...I know it probably happened for something in another thread or something that isn't public...but it definitely changes my perception of this place. Not that anybody should care...but I'm gonna jump ship in solidarity with Stefan
We cannot change the forum software from the word banned. Its in the software and nothing we can do about it and it does not always mean what the word means. If we could change to about a million other words it would be nice.