The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pay Pal requests SS#?

fotografz

So you trusted MACY'S with your SS# and you won't trust Paypal.com!?? That doesn't make any sense to me at all. I didn't realize that you had already given Macy's your SS# ... !!! Why wouldn't you trust their representative if you've already handed the company the keys to your identity?

I don't trust store credit accounts. They're usurious, slimy bastids ... I don't normally use credit for anything, but I can get MUCH better credit terms from the crooks at VISA and AMEX, never mind from my credit union, than from any store account.
Not my SS#. I'd never do that ... it was my wife's ... as in the "our" and "we" in the above posts.

No use beating a dead horse.

I'm not giving them my SS# ... you can do what ever you want.

-Marc

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
  • From Paypal web site:

• "What is Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 6050W?
    Under the new legislation, we’ll report to the IRS the total payment volume received by US account holders whose payments exceed both of these levels in a calendar year:
    • $20,000 USD in gross payment volume from sales of goods or services in a single year
    • 200 payments for goods or services in the same year
    The IRS changes apply to all payment providers, including PayPal and include all sales that occur on or after January 1, 2011, with the first reports going to the IRS in early 2012. Our goal is to help PayPal sellers understand and comply with the new requirements.
    Before your payment volume exceeds the reporting thresholds, you’ll be asked to add your tax ID number, such as a Social Security Number (SSN) or Employer Identification Number (EIN), to your existing account(s), if you don’t already have one on file."

Last edited:

Diane B

I'm trying to remember if any of our CCs have ever asked for our SS#. Granted we have had them for along time but I honestly don't remember. OTOH, I am more leary of giving CC# to just anyone than I am of giving SS# to Paypal. Speaking of 1099, We have always gotten quite a few of these because of the way we work. All of those companies plus any bank or investment firm where we received interest or income required our SS#. Its required for their paperwork. I understand about identity theft but you have no choice in many cases. I would see no reason for a dept. store to require a SS# however.

BANKER1

Marc,

Exactly what I said about the federal government getting every last penny of taxes.

But, as much as I respect you, you have bought into that red herring put out by the mainstream media and the "lackeys" in congress. It was not the banks that brought on the financial crisis. It was Fannie and Freddie making junk mortgages to anyone with a pulse. I remember the days when you ACTUALLY had to qualify for one of those loans. The banks were just bundling the loans and selling them on the market to willing buyers, as they have done for decades. After all, they had a "quasi-government" guarantee backing each and every loan. And Barney Frank sat there telling all who would listen that there was nothing to worry about with Fanny and Freddie. Mystery to me why he is still in office. If that had happened in the business world, he would be in prison.

Please do not think this is a political rant. I spent 42 years in the banking business (most in management), and our bank had millions of dollars of mortgage backed securities (that is what securities backed by quasi-federal government guarantees are called). As it turns out the federal government ended up pumping billions of dollars into Fannie and Freddie to support the institutions so that the securities would not default. So I guess they were not really quasi, but were actually government backed. It would have been devastating for the entire banking system had those securities gone into default. These are the facts for anyone who wants to research them.

Greg

Terry

I believe PayPal, like a bank, has to check out who you are to also comply with anti-money laundering rules.

Greg Lockrey

I believe PayPal, like a bank, has to check out who you are to also comply with anti-money laundering rules.
I think it's more about the new Health Care Bill..... everyone who does more than $600.00 worth of business has to send a 1099....