The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Olympics

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay pardon the completely non photographic topic but last night i was watching Shawn Johnson going for a gold medal on the balance beam and what i found the most wonderful thing was watching her parents in the audience with such joy and being so proud of there little girl. What i see was parents and child putting in so much time, effort and love. Let's not forget the money involved but to make a dream come true. To me that was the true meaning of being a Olympic champion. Forget everything else politics , religion, country,sex, war and everything else but that pure joy of a little girl getting it done and watching that joy. Man i was inspired.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I was at the 96 Olympics for the womens gymnastics team final. I was in about the 20th row directly behind the vault when Kerri Strugg hurt her foot on her first vault. It all came down to could she stick it on the 2nd vault. I was shooting color negative with an Apo 180 . I knew this was the once in a lifetime opportunity. Boris was no longer the Olympic coach but he stood up and got on he rail(who was going to stop him?). I could here him yelling "this is it....you must do it"......pretty damn scary. So I ran down he aisle(how did I not get arrested?) and took the shot on the winning vault from the 3rd row. I got the shot but much more important...I was very close to the team and could see the reaction of all the affected people. That one is right up there with the most inspirational events I have seen up close.

Terry

I know this is a little late but I just came across it and so far have found it very interesting. Now I need to start from the beginning and go all the way through it. Some great photography and a interesting perspective to get from a photographer at the olympics.

This is the last entry on the Newsweek site:

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/olym...been-a-dream-job-to-cover-these-olympics.aspx

You can link back to the whole Olympics from that page with the calendar on the right side

This is from his individual blog but I think it is the same as what is posted at Newsweek
http://vincentlaforet.wordpress.com...s-been-a-“dream-job”-to-cover-these-olympics/

O

Oxide Blu

... last night i was watching Shawn Johnson going for a gold medal on the balance beam ... Man i was inspired.

Good deal. Looking forward to seeing you televised on the balance beam in London, 2012. :LOL:

(This is can only get good. :D )