The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adobe Customer Service SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay, quick rant...

Switched platforms, PC to Mac. Adobe accommodates that by calling Customer Service and signing a software letter of destruction and faxing it to Oregon. No problem, did all that 10 days ago. And paid for overnight shipping on the replacement software. Wait three days, nada, so I call CS again. Get India. Crap. After having the support person repeat everything three times, he tells me the problem is with my fax machine. I tell him BS, I can see it went through and even recorded the actual Oregon number it connected to and give it to him. He hangs up on me. Call the next day, India again. Big crap. No good still, he tells me I must resend it. I ask for a supervisor, wait another 20 minutes and he tells me I must email it. Now I'm more than a little pissed. He hangs up on me too, but admittedly only after a few choice words being screamed out of my mouth about India service support. (Hey, I'm only human.) I have faxed it no less than 6 times already and now need to scan and email it. So I do. Big pita, but I do it. This time I email the form 6 times: three times from three different email addresses and in two different formats to insure the idiots on the other end can read it. Call the next day, fortunately was smart enough this time to wait until everybody in India had to be asleep or drunk and get somebody with a strong latin accent, so I'm assuming somewhere in South America. At least she was polite and I could understand her. Anyway, not received, you must email it. Sigh. She apologizes (!) having seen online the issues I've been through (apparently India does do a decent job of documenting) and gives me the email address of a supervisor that will walk it through the process -- IF I re-mail it to her!!! And oh yes, be sure to include all the serial numbers on the form. I say you mean the ones the first person I talked to destroyed and removed from my Adobe registration account so I no longer have them AFTER telling me I only needed the case number she gave me? Yes, those. But don't worry, I have them here. Let me read them to you so you can copy them down on the form then email them back to us. Uh, okay, you have them, but need me to send them to you? Yes. I give up and do it...

Next day I awake to two emails saying my LOD has been received by fax(!) and my order is being processed and will ship in 7 to 10 days. (Remember, I paid for OVERNIGHT shipping 5 days ago...) Two hours later 4 more come in saying the same thing. 2 hours later two email come in saying my email was received. Two hours later another email comes in saying email received, only this one also says my order is receiving priority service. Oh joy.

I'll let you know IF I ever get my software...

/rant

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I'm SO sorry to hear about that!
Hopefully one day you can look back on this and laugh... barring that, look back on it and not go into a murderous rage.

I'm not supporting this because I come from the software programmer side of the coin; but I've been told that the *ahem* download of 'same' completes in one night. :rolleyes:

Too bad you couldn't do that and just plug your old registration codes in upon installation. :wtf:

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
That bites. Whenever I get new Adobe stuff I pray double hard that it installs perfectly so i don't have to deal with them. What you just described should be a case study for them on how not to do things.

Fortunately the software is good stuff. Of course that's a double edged sword, they kind of got ya and they know it. Not a lot of incentive to improve service if there's very little in the way of competition.

Maggie O

Hey, if it's a brand new Mac, you might as well wait. My dad said that Adobe products will not yet run on OS X Leopard. (Which is why I haven't installed it on my MacBook Pro yet.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
they kind of got ya and they know it. Not a lot of incentive to improve service if there's very little in the way of competition.
And that's exactly how I was treated... It would be funny if I didn't need the software.

Maggie, as I understand it, CS3 is working fine on Leopard --- but I'll let you know if I ever get softwatre.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Cs3 is working just fine on leopard . Early adopter here , what else is new. Now you should of heard Jack earlier on the phone with me:D Honestly he should be upset . I did it last year with Adobe when Adobe USA answered the phone i had it in two days my new programs.

Lisa

GAAAH! I probably would have given up long before you did, Jack. Sorry to hear about your problems. Adobe seems to be getting more and more arrogant and troublesome as time goes on. My spouse keeps prodding me to give GIMP (free Photoshop-equivalent that runs under Windows or unix) a try, now that he says it finally does color management. When the next version of CS comes out, I'm going to give GIMP a try.

Lisa

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Another plug for GIMP. I have several college friend who use it and love it. IIRC, it's open source (?) and free; but I could be mistaken.

D

DougDolde

I went through that whole thing with Adobe changing from Windows to Mac. It was a MAJOR pain as I had bought the Mac version upgrade thinking I could transfer the license that way.

But in the end their system failed them; they actually sent me TWO refunds for the wrongly purchased version. :thumbs:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Congrats doug --- glad you got some compensation ;) I figure if their system fails for me, it will take about 3 extra full copies of the software to compensate me for the time I wasted with them.

Lisa/Chris: Does GIMP have ALL the features of CS --- I didn't think it had the sophisticated layer blending and panorama capabilities?

Lisa

Jack, I haven't yet used GIMP to any significant extent, so I don't know how much of CS's capabilities it covers, and my spouse (who has used GIMP somewhat, but is still not particularly experienced with it) has not used CS, so I don't have any direct comparison. I'd be surprised if it did everything CS does, though - my crude guess would be something like 80% of CS's capabilities. It was only fairly recently that it got decent color management, for example. The question is whether that 80% covers enough of what we need. My spouse says that there are a large number of plug-ins people have written for it, which could help. And yes, it's open source and free.

As long as I already have CS3, I plan to use it. When the next rev comes out, though, I plan to give GIMP a try.

Lisa

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Sitting here tempted to D/L it and try it whilst waiting for my Adobe replacement to show up...

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Jack,

Couldn't hurt. Like Lisa, I don't have direct experience, and my friends who do, don't use CS, so I don't know anyone who could make a direct comparison, having used both.

I was told that GIMP tends to lag behind CS. If a new cool feature comes out for CS, it's likely that someone would code an equivalent for GIMP. Downloading a few of the more popular plug-ins would probably be a good idea then.

Good luck to you!

mark1958

what a nightmare... Geez..Jack why not download a trial version for 30 days while waiting for the official approval.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
+1 on the trial download.
I did that and plugged worked with the new registration when it arrived. I guess I might have been lucky, but although the email responder acted up, I received my software in just a few days, I think it was within three days.

I haven't found an issue with cs3 and Leopard, and most but not all of the Lightroom/leopard things have been fixed, although there are a few to go.
I have been using Leopard since its first day of introduction, and the only caution I would make is to avoid autosynching with .mac. Something is causing it to wedge everything during synchs after they "improved" something.

-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well, the new software is supposed to arrive this morning. If it doesn't, I will DL the trial --- thanks for that thought.

Re GIMP. It appears it doesn't really interface fully on the Mac, so for now I will hold off, especially since I'm running Leopard.

Bob, what do mean by "wedge" on the .mac synch? I was planning on setting that up later this week.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
I had set up .mac sync on Tiger on my macpro and on my macbook pro
Sometime just around the conversion to Leopard and its new .mac sync features, my macpro (and not the macbookpro) will from time to time slow down to an almost stop during the .mac autosync. It will eventually recover, but it takes too long for my patience threshold since the machine is completely nonproductive during that time. It seems that Apple is aware of this and "working on it". It may be a thread safety issue on the new autosync.
Manual sync seems fine, for for the meantime I have set that mode on the macpro and am keeping autosync on the notebook.
It took a bit of sorting out since I noticed it shortly after the installation of the RAID board and worked a bit before I was able to isolate it.

-bob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Update! My software arrived! It is now installed AND updated to the most current point, AND all of my preferences, actions and curves are loaded and ready to go!

Just need to figure out how to print with it from a Mac now LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Cheers,