The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New England Workshop Participants Info Thread

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is for all those that are attending the New England workshop to pass ideas and any useful information on the workshop.

W

willgodfrey

Hello!

The Capture Integration Master's Series: New England Landscapes workshop is right around the corner! We are super busy around the office getting all of the last minute details together, but we wanted to take a moment to reach out to you and give you some information to help make this workshop as great as it can be from your perspective.

1) Tuesday Sunrise Photo Walk with Jack & Guy:

For anyone who is planning to arrive in Boston early, Jack Flesher & Guy Mancuso will be leading a sunrise photo walk through the Boston Commons on Tuesday October 4, 2011. This is completely optional and free to attend if you would like to join. They will be leaving from the lobby of the Omni Park House hotel at 6:00am and plan to eat breakfast with Jack & Guy and the crew after the walk.

2) What to bring:
Camera Gear
Camera & Lens
Tripod & Head
Cable Release
Multiple CF Cards
Batteries & Chargers
Camera Rain Gear
Laptop & Mouse
External Hard Drive
Memory Card Reader
Capture One Installed
Photoshop CS5 Installed
Clothing
Suit Jacket (**required** for all meals because we have to walk through the main dining room to get to our private dining room)
Rain Gear
Warm Coat
Hiking Boots
Thick Socks
Pack for Resort Causal
Miscellaneous
Headlamp (or small flashlight, but a headlamp is strongly recommended)
Umbrella
Synthetic Towel
2-Gallon Zip Lock
35-Gallon Trash Bag

3) When to be where:

October 5, 2011
Bus leaves at 10:00am (sharp) from:

Omni Park House Hotel
60 School Street
Boston, Massachusetts 02108
Phone: (617) 227-8600

October 5-9, 2011
Workshop location:

Omni Mount Washington Resort
310 Mount Washington Hotel Rd
Bretton Woods, New Hampshire 03575
Phone: 603-278-1000

October 9, 2011
Return to Boston Logan International Airport at 12:30pm.

4) Required Clothing:

We are dining in a private dining room for our meals, however, the only path to enter this private dining room is to walk through the main dining room at the resort. This main dining room is the only AAA four diamond restaurant in the state of New Hampshire and it requires all men to wear a suit jacket even if we are only walking through it. So please be aware of this and bring your own jacket. If you happen to forget, the hotel does have a selection of loaner jackets that you may borrow for the meals. The attire is to be considered resort casual for the trip, so please pack appropriately.

5) What's the weather like:

The weather in Bretton Woods, NH averages a high of 58º and a low of 37º for the month of October. We will be outside before sunrise and after sunset, so be mindful of the lows. We believe strongly that some of the best shots come during adverse weather, so we will shoot through light and moderate rain, dress appropriately.

Here is a link to the weather forecast for the area:

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/03575?month=1

6) Online Capture One Training:

Spots are still available in the online training meant to serve as a pre-workshop introduction to Capture One. It is entirely optional. Normal attendees must pay $109, but it is offered as a complimentary class to all attendees of the NE workshop. Please call us at 404.522.7662 to reserve your spot.

You can view the schedule here: http://www.captureintegration.com/2011/09/07/online-training/

7) Continue the conversation:

We have started a thread on the GetDPI.com forum to continue this conversation. Many of our attendees have attended many workshops in the past and we can all benefit from each other's experiences. Please jump on that thread and add your comments and suggestions for getting ready for our workshop!

cs750

Hello Jack, Guy and other New England Workshop folks. I am arriving on Monday and hope to do the walk with Jack & Guy. I will reply more to this thread, but have to run to a dinner meeting. Charles

cs750

Guy & Jack, are you taking your technical cameras on the Boston Commons sunrise walk or your 645DF or both? What do you suggest for a fellow who may not want to carry both? I suppose it might depend on how far we walk. It has been more than 25 years since I have been in that area, and never with a camera or walking. I am looking forward to it. Charles

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

I am only taking my Cambo on this workshop. CI has 7 complete Cambo systems on hand. I will be shooting mine on Tuesday but the Anniversary model all week. Imay just go home with one too. So Charles Tuesday bring your Tech so Jack and I can help you out. We are more than happy to help folks get these things under there belt. I know you just recently got yours and probably have a lot of questions. Jack is shooting his Arca and me the Cambo so nice balance together.

cs750

Guy, I had hoped you would say that! I will plan to bring my meager two lenses and my Arca. Moreover, I will be glad to receive all the help I can find! Charles

cs750

I bet Guy will have more than his "one meager lens" in his bag when he takes that walk on Tuesday morning at the Boston Commons sunrise walk! Charles

Guy Mancuso

I bet Guy will have more than his "one meager lens" in his bag when he takes that walk on Tuesday morning at the Boston Commons sunrise walk! Charles
Count on it. LOL

If you want to see a lens from the Cambo let me know, see if I can get that in hand so we can see images from it.

Ziv

I'll be arriving Boston red-eyed :mad: around noontime (from TLV & JFK). If anyone is interested in a late lunch around the Omni Park hotel - let me know!

Ziv Argov
Mamiya/Leaf

cs750

Hello Ziv,
I am arriving at the Boston airport at 3:12 pm on Monday Oct. 3rd...and I think that is a bit late for lunch. I did not want to fight the Atlanta traffic to get an earlier flight. Look forward to meeting you. Charles

Guy Mancuso

I'll be arriving Boston red-eyed :mad: around noontime (from TLV & JFK). If anyone is interested in a late lunch around the Omni Park hotel - let me know!

Ziv Argov
Mamiya/Leaf
Is this on Monday you arrive. Tuesday afternoon most of the crew will be at Hotel. If it is Monday hope to see you Tuesday morning than.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Interesting to hear that you folks are shooting tech cameras this time on the workshop. I had decided only to bring my DF and a few lenses because normally workshops arent conducive to my shooting speed with my Alpa. If we're all going to be shooting slow then maybe I'll just bring the Alpa instead.

Guy Mancuso

The thing is there will be plenty of DF gear on hand. I know 7 Cambos will be on hand and of course Arca not sure about those though . For me I am most likely shooting very little since i will be more involved with you folks so I really don't need a lot of gear. But you folks bring whatever you want we can always leave some gear back at the ranch after your first day and decide what fits you best. We have plenty of time to shoot at whatever pace you want we are not moving constantly but in one location each time we go out and stay at that location until we go back in than switch to new location. So no hit and run per say, although you know me. LOL

Ziv

Is this on Monday you arrive. Tuesday afternoon most of the crew will be at Hotel. If it is Monday hope to see you Tuesday morning than.
I should have noted TUESDAY Oct 4th... Sorry that I cannot join Tue morning shoot. I'll watch the sunrise from the plane to JFK...

See you Tuesday afternoon.

schuster

I'm not a workshop participant, and of course nobody knows what the weather will be two hours from now in northern New England, but I live in west-central New Hampshire, and thought I'd mention this...

We had frost on a couple nights last week, and I was very happy to not have to think about mosquitoes again until next spring. Wrong! Yesterday I got more bites in one hour than at any other time this summer... because I hadn't slathered-on repellent.

cs750

I understand another long awaited shipment from Arca Swiss has arrived in time for the workshop! CI and crew are probably too busy to spread this news right now...but I have it on reliable information. Charles