The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

'Net to me' pricing in the Buy and Sell forum

Amin

This is not a comment on or criticism of any particular sale or seller. I just want to see whether I'm alone in my thinking on this particular phenomenon.

It seems to me that compared to other "Buy and Sell" forums (eg, Fred Miranda), a lot of listings here at GetDPI involved asking prices expressed in "net to me" terms. Eg, I am selling a lens, and the asking price is "$500 net to me". Some of the mods and many senior members here also list this way.

Am I the only one who doesn't like that style of listing? I remember responding to such a listing with "I'll take it" and being genuinely surprised by the total price I ended up paying. I'm not new to this, and neither was the seller, but our expectations of the insured shipping price were significantly different.

I don't do a lot of bargaining, and I like to know the actual asking price, including everything. It's good and well that the seller knows how much they want to profit, but the core issue is how much the thing is worth. How much do I need to pay?

These days, when I see a "net to me" asking price, I tend to just move on. It's just a little bit of an annoyance that makes it not worthwhile to me.

Anyone else feel this way?

Last edited:

anthonysemone

Amin,

Yes, I move right along when I see the "net to me" post. That, as well as PayPal Gift only.
So, you are not alone :)

tony

stephengilbert

Ditto on the gift option. Not only do you lose the protection provided by Paypal, but you're misrepresenting the transaction. If someone is willing to be misleading in their dealings with Paypal, I'm less likely to trust their word on the item for sale.

Terry

The moderators have been going in and having those threads changed. If you see any sales listed with PayPal gift only, please report the thread.

As a side note: gift only is against the terms and conditions of PayPal.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I usually list my prices "shipped US and PayPal'd." But honestly, if somebody lists "net to me" I have no issue with it -- if I want the item, I would simply say "I'll take it pending your total final cost shipped to me in 94022 zip." I mean it's not like the seller is false advertising, they're being up front about the terms.

mathomas

The "net to me" thing is a little annoying to me. But, I assume everything is an "asking price" and thus negotiable. So if I'm interested in the item and the asking price is $500 for example, I'll just say "how 'bout $500 including shipping and paypal". I figure that's what the seller is willing to do most of the time (I've been wrong, though).

As a seller, like Jack, I list as "shipped and PayPal'd". Seems easier for everybody, but different people have different styles.

Amin

... I mean it's not like the seller is false advertising, they're being up front about the terms.
I don't think it's dishonest, just inconvenient.

It also emphasizes the wrong thing: The buyer needs to know how much they have to pay, not how much the seller wants to make.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I'm not offended by "net to me" postings, but I think it is actually easier (and quicker) to sell with a price to the buyer that includes Paypal where appropriate and shipping.

cmace127

Its the same as the American pricing system where all prices are displayed before tax. This doesn't happen in many other places around the world and while it can be off-putting, its just the result of competition and the like. An item that is advertised with a price before extras (PayPal and shipping), even if the end amount is the same, is most likely going to attract more attention. Just the way it is structured in the USA. A non-American might think it as strange but it seems normal to me, maybe we can just put it down to the norms of a society.

fotografz

I see nothing wrong with "net to me" at all.

It is impossible to include shipping since it can vary widely based on where the buyer is located, how they want it shipped, and how fast ... not to mention that insurance prices vary widely with shipping companies. B&H gives you a bunch of choices for shipping items which is an add-on that's not included in the price (unless the manufacturer is paying UPS Ground drop shipping). BTW, some buyers or sellers don't want to pay the insurance because they already have insurance policies that cover the item.

As far as paying the Pay Pal fee, again that is the buyers choice ... there are other ways to work out payment depending on whether you know someone and/or have a history with them. If a buyer wants the comfort of Pay Pal protection they can pay for it IMO. Considering that some items listed here on GetDpi can cost up to $600.+ in Pay Pal fees, why would one choose Pal Pal between friends? Either way it is a loss to either the buyer or the seller depending on who pays it, the only winner is Pay Pal.

It isn't all that hard to come to an agreement and set the terms of payment, period of inspection, and a return policy. Plus there is the feed-back section here on Get Dpi. Of course if you don't know anything about the buyer or seller, that's a different matter. However, If I don't know the buyer, then I set the terms of payment and they can take it or leave it ... there is always another buyer if the seller isn't impatient. Same thing if you are the buyer, set the terms of the agreement and the seller can agree or not. Just be up-front about everything. If you smell a rat, it is probably a rat.

Impatience is usually the mother of all issues when buying and selling.

My 2¢

-Marc