The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Foggy lens... is there a cure?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My lovely Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.4 has a cloud on one of the elements, seems to be just behind the iris. I don't know how long it's been there, but I noticed that it flared too easily already a year ago. Is there a cure or is it a gonner?

Godfrey

My lovely Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.4 has a cloud on one of the elements, seems to be just behind the iris. I don't know how long it's been there, but I noticed that it flared too easily already a year ago. Is there a cure or is it a gonner?
Could be dirt or could be fungus. if the latter, and the surface is etched too badly to polish and repair, it will depend upon whether parts are available to replace the damaged element. In either case, a full lens strip down, cleaning, reassembly and collimation is required.

In the USA, John Van Stelton (http://www.focalpointlens.com/) is the master for this kind of work.

tsjanik

Too bad. Along with items mentioned by Godfrey, lens cement separation is also a possibility, as there is a cemented doublet just behind the diaphragm. Whether worth the cost of repair is the question. Having had lenses with fungus and one with separation, I can say in my experience, the appearance of each is quite different. Fungus is fuzzy with filaments; separation appears as an uneven film.

Tom

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It doesn't look like fungus in any way. More like a little cloud, so I guess the lens cement separation theory is the most probable. I will check if it's possible to get it fixed locally and for how much. Sending it abroad would probably drive the cost too far in the direction of the price of another lens.

Thanks for the advice, both of you.

ReeRay

Jorgen

Try Khun Manna at AV Cameras in BangRak (next to Robinsons Store)

He rescued several of my Hassy, Rollei and Contax lenses last year that were in a very poor way.

Good Luck

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
To be on the safe side, I waded through some of the photos I've taken with the lens, just to see if it's worth the effort and the money.

GH1 with Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.4

Yup, I think it is.