The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What would you like Santa to bring?

bensonga

In the spirit of the holidays and just for fun.....an informal poll of GetDPI members. What bit of photo gear would you like to find under the tree this year?

It could be something that's actually on your holiday wish list or something so over the top, you can only admit it here on GetDPI. There are things many of us have been dreaming about, but wouldn't dare mention in the presence of our spouse. Remember....I'm talking about photo gear! :D

I've been a good boy this year :angel:, but I didn't dare put this on my wish list for Santa. Sure would be a thrill to find it under the tree however! :thumbs:

Lars

Fuji X10 is on my wish list but perhaps not just yet, I hope Fuji can mitigate the white orb problem otherwise it seems like a neat little camera.
A higher res Nikon body for my lenses would be nice (D800?).
Finally for my LF outfit... nah, I have what I need.

And then there's of course the mythical RED EPIC 617 Mysterium Monstro... :D

Godfrey

I already know what photo gear is coming as I had to specify it. A nice vintage lens and a new neck strap.

I don't need anything, and am finding it hard to actually want more camera gear except for the bursts of magpie syndrome LSD that fire off in my head ("Ooooh! shiny object! pretty camera! gooood!").

But my partner was going nuts trying to figure out what to buy for me. I suggested an EX condition Leitz Hektor 135mm f/4.5 (M mount) from KEH and a new Leica M leather neck strap for my M4-2. He ordered them the other day.

I couldn't ask for the M9 body and CZ 25/2.8 ZM lens—I'd be met with a sullen glare. ;-)

bensonga

.....except for the bursts of magpie syndrome LSD that fire off in my head ("Ooooh! shiny object! pretty camera! gooood!").
Nailed me! :eek:

No, no really.....I'm sure there is some totally functional reason why the H4D-40 Stainless edition is worth the extra $$$$. :D

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Endless supplies of Ilford Pan F Plus, the 24/50/85 f/1.8 trio for my F6 and a Kawasaki Versys 650 to carry the stuff around Southeast Asia for a few months. Or years?

bensonga

...and a Kawasaki Versys 650 to carry the stuff around Southeast Asia for a few months. Or years?
Great choice Jorgen!! I considered buying a Versys last year, test rode one and really enjoyed it. Ended up buying a used Suzuki V-Strom 650 from my neighbor (for my Lower 48 states bike, which I keep in Washington state, I also have a V-Strom 650 here in Alaska).

My wife owns two Kawasaki Ninja 650s (same basic motor as the Versys, one bike here in Alaska and the second in Washington state) and they are a lot of fun to ride.

If I don't get that H4D-40 Stainless edition for Christmas, maybe Santa could drop off one of these for me instead (cheaper than the H4D-40). Not as practical as a Versys or V-Strom.....but it has a certain WOW! factor which those bikes lack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5frCOlJuGwU&list=FLbfOmwZQl-B490QjUVl1e8Q&index=2&feature=plpp_video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVKLl-ZBUwg&list=FLbfOmwZQl-B490QjUVl1e8Q&index=6&feature=plpp_video

Of course, the Germans have a good thing going now too.........in comparison, I feel like an old man when I'm out riding the 1996 BMW 1100RT.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xhj...OmwZQl-B490QjUVl1e8Q&lf=plpp_video&playnext=1

Last edited:

jsf

As Godfrey says ooh shiny object. A Nikkor 105 DC lens, an 18mm Nikkor, a large truckload of ink and paper and two Turkish Van cats. Joe

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Great choice Jorgen!! I considered buying a Versys last year, test rode one and really enjoyed it. Ended up buying a used Suzuki V-Strom 650 from my neighbor (for my Lower 48 states bike, which I keep in Washington state, I also have a V-Strom 650 here in Alaska).
I only tried the Versys a couple of days ago and fell instantly in love. I'm exactly the right size for it, and it was like wearing a glove. My city bike the last years has been a CBR 150 R, and it's absurdly fast for such a small bike, but it encourages teenage style riding and I keep trying to find that 7th gear :rolleyes:

Time to consider a more sensible bike, and the Versys fits the bill very nicely. Still, my Christmas present to myself is box right next to me now; a MacBook Air 13/256 :)

Godfrey

I only tried the Versys a couple of days ago and fell instantly in love. I'm exactly the right size for it, and it was like wearing a glove. My city bike the last years has been a CBR 150 R, and it's absurdly fast for such a small bike, but it encourages teenage style riding and I keep trying to find that 7th gear :rolleyes:

Time to consider a more sensible bike, and the Versys fits the bill very nicely. Still, my Christmas present to myself is box right next to me now; a MacBook Air 13/256 :)
Hadn't even seen the Versys. I'm so out of the motorcycle scene.

You will love your elf present. My office gave me an MBA13/128 - I like it so much I'm considering selling my less-than-a-year-old MacBook Pro 13 for one. Coupled with a 27" Thunderbolt display, the MBA13 does exactly what I need and the 4G RAM deficit from the MBP13 has not been a hindrance at all.

hmm hmm hmm ... More magpie going on. ;-)

S

Shelby Lewis

RZ67 180mm Short barrel lens and the tilt/shift adapter... and some better eyes for focussing.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Santa already came by after the Iranians hacked his GPS time signal to think it was Christmas... He dropped off a Sony CZ Planar 85/1.4, an Acratech GV2 ballhead and an Acratech leveling plate, a B+W Kaesemann polarizer, and an HVL-58 flash for Sony Alpha. And a few odds and ends. Maybe he won't be coming by you this year? Are you sure you've been good all year?