Site Sponsors

Thread: getting into the groove again

Super Duper
    Near San Jose, California
    Post Thanks / Like

getting into the groove again

Last evening I scanned another roll of film I put through the M4-2.

Film and digital are two entirely different recording mediums. A 100% manual camera with no in-camera meter is different in use than any camera with a built in meter, and any camera that has auto-exposure. Never mind auto-focus.

Scanning this roll was easy ... my exposures are back on point, I didn't need to change the scanner settings off the defaults I set up even once. Focus is back on point. Because of that, scanning 36 exposures took only an hour and forty-five minutes. That's not bad, about as fast as the Coolscan V can go with strips of four.

But what's exciting is that I'm beginning to see in this medium again. The tools are bone simple, the medium is heavily constrained*and has little latitude: it's all about the image.

That's where I want to be. :-)

I'll do whatever it takes to bring my digital capture work into the same space.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: getting into the groove again

This sounds very therapeutic. I am on a different path for now, working hard with Lumix, ignoring so much other lovely equipment. But, that will make it just that much sweeter when I do return to it.

Thanks for sharing your direction.