The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

If you like flying....

Terry

Just feels so irresponsible.....but I'm a lay person here and don't know if it was as dangerous as it looked.

Don Libby

Not irresponsible at all actually very normal. The landing gear turns and stays true to the runway while the aircraft body is at an angle. If you think this is crazy watch some of the lighter aircraft as they land.

There is a cutoff on how much crosswinds an aircraft can land and take off in however this as amazing as it sounds is close to normal.

This is just another example of why I drive.......:D

BANKER1

Don, actually the landing gear on airliners (as I understand it) do not. Not being an aviation expert, this is my understanding. The maneuver is called crabbing. You will notice the airplane crabbing until just before landing where it has to straighten out just prior to touchdown. That is because (as you said) the wheels have to be parallel to the runway at touchdown. The US Air Force B-52 Bomber does actually have landing gear that points in the direction of the landing and the airplane can touch down in the crabbing position since the wheels are parallel to the runway.

Greg

BANKER1

My son began his flying career in early 1990 at the age of seventeen when he got his private pilot's license two days before he left for the US Air Force Academy. He flew gliders at the Academy for four years. Upon graduation he became an F-15C pilot and flies almost every day. At this time, he trains recent graduates from pilot training who are headed to fighters. I asked him what the landing speed of his current aircraft (AT-38), and he said it was about 160 knots. That's pretty fast since they have short, stubby, and thin wings. (not much lift) Currently he is a squadron commander and a Lt Col. War college is next, and he is going to hate being out of the cockpit for a year.

Greg

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely normal procedure.
Each aircraft has a specified maximum crosswind velocity below which it is certificated for landing. Takeoffs are also limited by this limit since it is presumed that a landing may occur immediately after takeoff if something goes awry.
There are two standard procedures:
Crabbing
This is the only practical approach with large low winged aircraft with limited ground clearance.
In crabbing you simply keep your wings level and head in the direction of the crosswind to obtain a stabilized approach down the runway centerline. Just before touchdown, you kick the centerline of the aircraft to align with the runway using rudder only.

Wing-low
Especially for high winged aircraft such as most Cessna's, this is a preferred approach although crabbing is still an option available to the pilot.
From a stabilized approach, bank the wings toward the crosswind and keep the fuselage aligned with the runway with rudder. The upwind wheel will contact first. As the place decelerates, lower the other wheel to the ground. This option is generally not available to large transport class aircraft due to their limited wingtip ground clearance.

Frankly, it is not as hard as it looks.

If the wind is above the crosswind limit, find another runway to land on. I had one situation when the crosswind was a steady 30kts and the plane had an 18 kt limit. Since the runway was wide and the plane had a 49kt stall speed, I took off across the runway.
-bob