The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Net regulation

monza

If piracy is indeed what this is about, the ultimate irony is that neither of these bills will stop it.

Amin

No, the professor and I agree entirely...
It's clear from his video and the text he cites directly from the legislation that US-based forums could be heavily affected.

Vivek, as an educator I have the utmost respect and admiration for Sal Khan.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
It's clear from his video and the text he cites directly from the legislation that US-based forums could be heavily affected.

Vivek, as an educator I have the utmost respect and admiration for Sal Khan.
I don't think that they need anything new to do that, see my post immediately above. They already have their hands around our throats.
Please read the legislation which is completely clear (and BAD LOL) but please also see what the government already does.
-bob

Amin

Bob, I am familiar with the current law and these bills. I agree we have problems already. SOPA and PIPA would worsen those problems and could certainly affect sites like GetDPI.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member

PeterA

Bob - thanks for the background information regarding this issue.

As for Obama - the evidence is on the table regarding his political, economic and social agenda. I agree with your summary analysis, the US is in very big trouble if he is re-elected. A very interventionist administration.

monza

Unfortunately Obama appears to be on both sides of this issue as evidenced by what Bob already pointed out:

The Obama administration has exerted unprecedented control over the web without acts of Congress. They just do it exerting some theory about executive or regularity power.
This enables him to state he doesn't support SOPA, while at the same time appeasing his Hollywood funding base.

Lars

While ACTA stinks, its history goes back to efforts by USA and Japan in 2006 so tying it to the current US administration is a bit misleading. Not defending any politician here but it doesn't seem to matter who's the groundskeeper in the White House - your government works for your corporate interests.

The perception in Sweden seems to be that ACTA is something that the US has coerced other governments into behind closed doors over the last five years. Whether that is close to the truth I don't know but to me it sounds plausible.