The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What happened to the Really Right Stuff web site?

Good morning all.

I have been trying to access the RRS web site for a couple of days now and have not been able to. Does anyone know why they are off line?

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:

kdphotography

Good morning all.

I have been trying to access the RRS web site for a couple of days now and have not been unable to. Does anyone know why they are off line?

Thanks
Paul
Swarms of gear sluts from GetDPI overburdened the RRS servers with traffic....

:D

I can access their site no problem.....

ken

RGoldman

Love thier stuff, not a good website though. Most of the time, the pages won't load or I get an "error" notice of some sort. The images of their products don't open to larger versions. Today I can actually access some of their pages, yesterday I couldn't. Seems like the majority of the time, the site is not functioning properly. With the prices they charge, you would think they could hire someone to fix the site!

k-hawinkler

Yup, one has to be very patient to order online!
I wonder how their flaky web presence hurts their business?
It must hurt a lot, I would think.

K-H.

stephengilbert

Really? I have never had any problem ordering through their website, and just put an item in a shopping cart to make sure it still works.

Not only that, but they have a TELEPHONE. It's really amazing: you just dial a number and a person answers and talks to you.

k-hawinkler

I like a written record and avoid telephone whenever I can.
I ordered a number of things from them 3 or 4 days ago and their website was extremely unresponsive. In fact I had to do my selections several times over again before I finally made it to the ordering step.

K-H.

jlm

Workshop Member
I like a written record and avoid telephone whenever I can.
I ordered a number of things from them 3 or 4 days ago and their website was extremely unresponsive. In fact I had to do my selections several times over again before I finally made it to the ordering step.

K-H.

good way to get duplicate orders. I prefer the phone and an e-mail confirmation ;)

jm

k-hawinkler

Not really! I got exactly what I ordered.
As I said, I finally made it to the ordering step - but only once.

K-H.

kdphotography

Really? I have never had any problem ordering through their website, and just put an item in a shopping cart to make sure it still works.

Not only that, but they have a TELEPHONE. It's really amazing: you just dial a number and a person answers and talks to you.
Actually, what's really amazing is that they answer the phone and remember who you are! Very friendly, good old fashioned customer service and great products.

Weird. Still can't access RRS. I receive the following error message:

"Safari can't open the page "http://reallyrightstuff.com/" because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait a few minutes and try again."

I'm not having difficulty accessing any other web sites.

I want to order something, somebody has to keep the economy going.

Udo

Even from my remote location in the Middle East no problem to surf their web site and shop.

Best regards, Udo

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am actually boycotting RRS right now. My biggest beef is they list all of their tripods as "back-oredered" except you can get any one you want if buy it with one of their packaged ballheads. I personally think that is a sleazy sales tactic, so I continue to buy Gitzo pods. Plus I don't like their non-adjustable lever clamps since they won't tighten up on a true standard Arca dovetail.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I am actually boycotting RRS right now...I don't like their non-adjustable lever clamps since they won't tighten up on a true standard Arca dovetail.
Never had a lever clamp but LOVE their screw down clamps...always adjust to just your idea of the right pressure ... in spite of temperature changes. Just need to visually confirm you are mounted in the clamp!

I am so sold on Gitzo pods that I have never looked at others.

Bob

kdphotography

I don't know if the "back-order" situation has changed much, Jack, (maybe it has after the LL review) but when I ordered my RRS tripod, it was marked "backordered" on their website. I called in and was told the "backorder" was all of about a week or two. Well worth the wait, and I received my tripod in the stated period in time for my trip last summer. (I didn't buy one of their packaged ballheads).

ken

Original Poster Here

I fixed this by going to Safari (Mac's internet browser for our PC friends) and executing a reset command. You will loose all your stored passwords by doing this but I can now access Really Right Stuff. The odd thing was, it was the only web site I couldn't access. It's always good to kill your own snakes.

Per Jacks comment: "I am actually boycotting RRS right now. My biggest beef is they list all of their tripods as "back-oredered" except you can get any one you want if buy it with one of their packaged ballheads. I personally think that is a sleazy sales tactic, so I continue to buy Gitzo pods. Plus I don't like their non-adjustable lever clamps since they won't tighten up on a true standard Arca dovetail."

This practice, unfortunately, has become widespread (you can't buy "A" without also buying "B"). Many camera vendors will not sell a body-only to force you into purchasing a kit lens. These same vendors, if they do offer a body-only, charge the same price as the camera+kit lens. If you give in to this garbage, it just encourages them.

Paul

Last edited:

Godfrey

Paul,

You can do the same as reset more selectively than losing all you passwords and cookies by going to Safari preferences and eliminating all data associated with a particular website. I find this same problem crops up occasionally with DPR and a couple others. Saves having to login on every other site I frequent.