The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question: wide angle for Nikon

jsf

I am going to buy a 20mm lens for my Nikon d700, I am looking at the Voightlander Skopar or the 20mm AI Nikkor both are manual focus which I prefer both are listed at about $400+ so does anyone have any experience with either lens that would indicate which one would be the sharper of the two. I have a 28mm Nikkor that simply is not eye watering sharp. I don't know if it is this specific lens or this lens on a digital, it is also a MF AI lens, it is okay sharp for like PR work but it is not that kind of sharpness like the 55 micro Nikkor or 105 AI or 200 AI or 300 AI that I have, but I need a wider angle lens any way and I have never bought a non Nikkor lens. So, anyone have any ideas? Joe

V

Vivek

Perhaps this thread is better in the Nikon section?

As to the question-

I have the 20/3.5 UD Nikkor and the 20/3.5 AiS Nikkor. The latter is superb when it comes to flare resistance. Stopped down, it is just fabulous.

I don't know which version of the 28mm you have. There are many.

The 28/2.8 AiS I have is very sharp and does well in close ranges.

This reminds me that I should dispose of these lenses...

jsf

I have the old version 28mm 3.5 pre AI (used on my Nikon F) and the newer version f/2.8 AI which I use on the difital. Would you say that the 20mm 3.5 AiS is as sharp as the
55 mm micro or 105 mm? Joe

V

Vivek

No.

The 55 Micro is one of the sharpest from that era. Much sharper than the 105/2.5 and sharper than the 105 micros as well.

If you want to get in that (ie., 55 micro) territory, you need to go for more modern lenses. I have not checked the Cosina but I doubt that also would come close to the 55's sharpness.

jsf

From what I can find online none of the primes approach that kind of sharpness. One more mystery for me to wonder about. Joe