The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If high ISO isn't too much of a consideration, the D80 is also a great camera. I just spent $200 refurbishing mine at Nikon, simply because I think it would be too bad to let an excellent camera succumb.

I was going to suggest the Pentax K200D too, since it has the same sensor, but they go for unbelievably high prices, twice as much as the Nikon :shocked:

jonoslack

I don't think there are huge differences in terms of quality between any of the brands. So it boils down to two things. First, which system allows her to upgrade easily and is (more or less) future-proof. And second, which one feels right to her.

Personally I am semi-in-love with the new Sonys (even though I am a Nikon guy).
Hi Martin
I was originally thinking of a Sony because there are so many good cheap minolta lenses around - but I think she should probably start with an optical viewfinder (not sure why), and they're either tiny (the viewfinders) or too expensive (the cameras).

jonoslack

If high ISO isn't too much of a consideration, the D80 is also a great camera. I just spent $200 refurbishing mine at Nikon, simply because I think it would be too bad to let an excellent camera succumb.

I was going to suggest the Pentax K200D too, since it has the same sensor, but they go for unbelievably high prices, twice as much as the Nikon :shocked:
Hi Jorgen
KRs look like a good cheap idea - There are also some silly cheap K7s around.

Pentax looks like quite a good bet - thanks for the suggestion (I should have got there myself).

cjlacz

Hi Jorgen
KRs look like a good cheap idea - There are also some silly cheap K7s around.

Pentax looks like quite a good bet - thanks for the suggestion (I should have got there myself).
Reading through the thread Pentax was where I was going too. Lots of primes and many designed for digital. I would go for the K-7 or even a K-20 before the K-r though. After shooting film all last year a larger penta-prism finder for manual focus would be higher on my list than about anything else.

carl-b

Jono i would suggest something we tell our newbies on the other forum i'm on. That is to go play with a few cameras in jessops or similar. That way she can get a feel for which one is more comfortable to hold/use.
You could try somewhere like MPB, for used canon/Nikon equipment. Prices are slightly higher than ebay, however they supply a 6 month warranty with all used goods :)

jonoslack

Jono i would suggest something we tell our newbies on the other forum i'm on. That is to go play with a few cameras in jessops or similar. That way she can get a feel for which one is more comfortable to hold/use.
HI Carl
I understand what you're saying (and agree), but she's 300 miles away, has no experience, lives 80 miles from the nearest decent camera shop and anyway this needs to be a fait accompli for a birthday present!

You could try somewhere like MPB, for used canon/Nikon equipment. Prices are slightly higher than ebay, however they supply a 6 month warranty with all used goods :)
Yes - I'd thought of this - and prices aren't always higher than ebay either!
Good Thought.

carl-b

HI Carl
I understand what you're saying (and agree), but she's 300 miles away, has no experience, lives 80 miles from the nearest decent camera shop and anyway this needs to be a fait accompli for a birthday present!

Yes - I'd thought of this - and prices aren't always higher than ebay either!
Good Thought.
Ahh that does make things tricky. I would suggest a smaller cam for her one then. So something like the canon 1000/1100d or Nikon D90 or the D3000/5000 series, but the lack of the inbuilt focussing motor might be restrictive

I have found a few dealers lately a lot cheaper than ebay for certain items, especially some of the MF gear i am interested in :)

ReeRay

I have found a few dealers lately a lot cheaper than ebay for certain items, especially some of the MF gear i am interested in :)
eBay items are getting damn expensive these days and I'm not surprised. The fees they charge are ridiculous. Combined with the paypal fee the sellers are now looking at a premium of 15%.

No longer the bargain basement they once were.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Nikon D90

Nikon D90, used or new. It works with all the "old" AF Nikon lenses, has an excellent viewfinder and a trio of 24/50/85mm can be found really cheap second hand. Even new they aren't that expensive. (...)

another vote for the D90

+ AF-S 1.8/35mm G DX as a normal lens for a start (angle of view equivalent to 52mm)

or maybe AF-S 1.8/50mm G (FX) as a convenient start lens (angle of view equivalent to 75mm on film) getting closer

I have sent you an email with a link to a D90 auction, with a bit of luck you may be able to make a reasonable deal ...

/Steen

jonoslack

HI There
Jorgen, Steen
Thanks for the information - it seems that the D90 is the one to get - and thanks also for the link to the German auction - there are also lots in the UK. It's just a case of getting the right one and keeping looking.

I'll report back!
all the best

jonoslack

Okay Okay Okay
Thank you everybody - you've been very helpful.
I searched ebay for sensible deals on the D90, and there were lots - all between £400 and £500 . . . . but a brand new, guaranteed version from amazon was only just over £500 - its seemed worth the extra. A small premium added the 18-105 VR. She wants to shoot primes, but as we all know, sometimes a zoom is just the thing!

We're going to recommend that she plays with this, and then spends her money either on the 35 or the 50 f1.8 as a 'proper' lens

I hope she's happy with it!

. . . everybody has been very helpful, and you'll notice we've ended up with a Nikon - something I don't even own:ROTFL:

Perhaps she'll be taking snaps like Jorgen's . . well ... nearly like Jorgens! Her mother would be very proud (actually, if she takes snaps like Jorgen's we'll ALL be very proud!).

special thanks also to Steen - who concentrated the mind wonderfully!

Really, thank you, you've all been very (if expensively) helpful

We will have forgotten the expense next month - hopefully she'll remember the camera for years!

Robert Campbell

Rather than a 35mm or 50mm lens, I'd suggest something longer -- 80 to 90mm. I know that 50mm is supposedly what they eye sees normally, but I don't think it's correct; while we do have considerable peripheral vision, our acute vision is much more limited. A slightly long-focus lens should help her to concentrate her vision on the essential.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Rather than a 35mm or 50mm lens, I'd suggest something longer -- 80 to 90mm. I know that 50mm is supposedly what they eye sees normally, but I don't think it's correct; while we do have considerable peripheral vision, our acute vision is much more limited. A slightly long-focus lens should help her to concentrate her vision on the essential.
That's an interesting viewpoint. My most used lens on the DX format when I travel is the 85mm f/1.8 :)
Mine is a very old one, AF non-D and it sounds like an old railway-train or something, electric not steam, but for street candids there's nothing better. 24 plus 85mm would probably be a very interesting combination.

jonoslack

That's an interesting viewpoint. My most used lens on the DX format when I travel is the 85mm f/1.8 :)
Mine is a very old one, AF non-D and it sounds like an old railway-train or something, electric not steam, but for street candids there's nothing better. 24 plus 85mm would probably be a very interesting combination.
I agree - I like to use a 28 and a 75 on my M9 (I haven't got the 135 that your 85 would suggest because Tom won't give me his!)

Still - she has a zoom and a 50, now it's over to her!