The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Suggestion for starter cam for 14 year old god-daughter

jonoslack

Hi there
My job is to find a good starter camera - She's good at art, her mum is a fantastic painter, and after some time talking she wants a dSLR and to use prime lenses. As it's a starter, I don't want to spend too much money.
I've got some ideas, but it's not terribly simple. Obviously it would be good to get something with plentiful decent prime lenses for her to afford herself later.

So - over to you!

Terry

Does it really need to be a dslr and not a mirrorless with an EVF?

Expensive but body OMD but reasonably priced primes you have a lot of choice now with fisheye,12,17, 20, 25, 45, and 75 coming. Keeps things small but excellent for manual focus if that is part of what she will want.

The lower end APS-c dslr's aren't great for manual focus without bright viewfinders. I'm not sure why I'm equating primes with manual focus. The next step would be to look at perhaps the second level up cameras from Nikon and Canon - D5100 and I'm not sure what they call the Canon model numbers on your side of the pond. If she will need to buy lenses herself there is also a robust used market.

jonoslack

Does it really need to be a dslr and not a mirrorless with an EVF?

Expensive but body OMD but reasonably priced primes you have a lot of choice now with fisheye,12,17, 20, 25, 45, and 75 coming. Keeps things small but excellent for manual focus if that is part of what she will want.

The lower end APS-c dslr's aren't great for manual focus without bright viewfinders. I'm not sure why I'm equating primes with manual focus. The next step would be to look at perhaps the second level up cameras from Nikon and Canon - D5100 and I'm not sure what they call the Canon model numbers on your side of the pond. If she will need to buy lenses herself there is also a robust used market.
HI Terry
I'm not sure that she will want to manual focus. She does want an SLR though - I think it's at least partly the image but if it's what she wants - added to which most of the 4/3 primes would be way outside her price bracket.

I had thought of the 5100 - does that take older Nikon lenses - presumably D lenses are okay?

Terry

I thought about the price range of m4/3 lenses and comparatively (at least in the US) only a few are expensive (12, 45 macro, 25) plus other manufacturers like Sigma are getting into the game. The others seem to be around $300 or less (14, 17, 20, 45)

I think the Nikon lenses are about the same price with the 35 f1.8 being on the cheap side at just under $200.

V

Vivek

Jono,

m4/3rds cam with an EVF (G1, G2, G3..) plus 14/2.5 (pretty cheap in the EU at the moment), 20/1.7 and possibly 45/1.8.

Nikon APS-C lenses are far and few. The widest is a fisheye and the only normal (also the widest non fisheye Nikkor for APS-C) is the 35/1.8. There is this Sigma 30/1.4 (huge but decent).

jonoslack

Jono,

m4/3rds cam with an EVF (G1, G2, G3..) plus 14/2.5 (pretty cheap in the EU at the moment), 20/1.7 and possibly 45/1.8.

Nikon APS-C lenses are far and few. The widest is a fisheye and the only normal (also the widest non fisheye Nikkor for APS-C) is the 35/1.8. There is this Sigma 30/1.4 (huge but decent).
I understand where you're coming from Vivek, but she doesn't want an EVF - she wants a 'real' camera!

I don't think it matters that much, Jono. Help her pick out a camera like you would -- user interface that doesn't get in your way, nice viewfinder and available lenses -- if there is canon glass in the family, get one. The older Canon consumer cameras (D40) are still nice to use. Pair with a 50/1.8 and an 18-55 zoom and see where she wants to go from there.

Amin

I think the entry level Canon DSLRs are very good. The Rebel T3 / 1100D is very affordable, and the first generation Canon EF primes (24/2.8, 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.8) are very affordable and good.

bensonga

+1 for a Canon 40D (10mp).....it's still one of my favorite DSLRs and you can find ones in EX+ or LN- condition at KEH for $500-$600. No video....it's just a very good DSLR. Combine that with a 35mm f2 or a 50mm f1.8 and it would be an excellent combo. I still use this camera myself with excellent results. Even the 20D is a very good camera for about $200-$300.

Or get a new T3i for a few hundred dollars more.

40D
Canon Digital 40D 10.1 MEGAPIXEL WITH CABLES, CD, BATTERY & CHARGER, INSTRUCTION BOOK (CF CARD ), DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA - KEH.com

20D
Canon Digital 20D 8.2 MEGAPIXEL WITH BATTERY & CHARGER (CF CARD ) DIGITAL SLR INTERCHANGEABLE LENS CAMERA - KEH.com

Gary

jonoslack

Thank you everyone
I'm not sure I've ever bought a Canon - certainly never a Canon slr, but there are some very very good deals on a 600D around here - and that seems like a fine camera to both learn and develop with.:eek: (did I say this!)
40Ds are cheaper, but the saving is only a couple of hundred dollars - and then you get a secondhand camera.
Keep 'em coming, but you've been very helpful already

ReeRay

Jono

Just been in this exact situation with very artistically inclined 14 year old step daughter.

I gave her my back up Canon 5D MK1 and 50mm f1.4 prime. I told her to "see" with the 50mm before considering additional lenses.

So far so good. She's producing some lovely OOF stuff and very interesting portraits of her friends.

A few weeks ago we talked about another lens which she declined as she finds the 50mm covers most of what she "sees" and does not want to get confused with lens selection.

Just a thought

b&w

Hi,

my son starts with about 9 years with a Nikon D40x with a Nikkor 18-200. Now he is 11 and he wants more ;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nikon D90, used or new. It works with all the "old" AF Nikon lenses, has an excellent viewfinder and a trio of 24/50/85mm can be found really cheap second hand. Even new they aren't that expensive.

Another alternative would be the Pentax K-R, which I understand is a very competent camera (haven't tried it myself though). Pentax primes shouldn't need any further introduction :)

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I had a niece in a similar situation. She ended up with a used 5Dmki and a used 17-40. That's what she was interested in. The problem with the question is that you need to tailor the camera to the young lady, so there is no "right" answer. I do also have a soft spot for Pentax as a starter, as their cameras a usually pretty simple without a lot of unnecessary doodads. But that may be nostalgia talking, as Pentax was my first SLR a lonnnng time ago. I worked all summer in a grocery to buy one.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono

Just been in this exact situation with very artistically inclined 14 year old step daughter.

I gave her my back up Canon 5D MK1 and 50mm f1.4 prime. I told her to "see" with the 50mm before considering additional lenses.

So far so good. She's producing some lovely OOF stuff and very interesting portraits of her friends.

A few weeks ago we talked about another lens which she declined as she finds the 50mm covers most of what she "sees" and does not want to get confused with lens selection.

Just a thought
. . . and a good one!
Unfortunately I don't have a spare 5D around! (I had considered handing over my old Olympus E1, but I think it really is a bit too old).
I like the idea of the single lens though.

jonoslack

Hi,

my son starts with about 9 years with a Nikon D40x with a Nikkor 18-200. Now he is 11 and he wants more ;)
Yes - I thought about a D50, but they aren't terribly cheap, and they are terribly old!

Ever considered a small compact film camera? Like the yashica t4?

:)
Nice idea, . . . .
Well, after a couple of hours with her, she made it pretty clear that she wanted a digital SLR, she wasn't concerned about small or film.

But, to be honest, I'm not sure that it's a good learning tool - the trouble is that you don't get results back for a week or so (long after you've forgotten what you did), if you're 14 you can't afford the processing (which is now very expensive here) of course, you could process black and white yourself . . but then you need a scanner (otherwise how are you going to put those shots on your Facebook account?) . . and you're learning something which is already redundant!

jonoslack

Nikon D90, used or new. It works with all the "old" AF Nikon lenses, has an excellent viewfinder and a trio of 24/50/85mm can be found really cheap second hand. Even new they aren't that expensive.

Another alternative would be the Pentax K-R, which I understand is a very competent camera (haven't tried it myself though). Pentax primes shouldn't need any further introduction :)
Ah! Jorgen
a D90 . . .I've been following ebay auctions . . trouble is that most of them go for more than a new D5100! I find it hard to bring myself to pay £450 for a D90 with no box, no manual and no guarantee!

But I quite agree in principle - it's where I'd got to, I'm just not quite sure where to get a decent one for a sensible price.

I've also thought about the Pentax K-R - or one of the OVF Sony's - for the reason that there are plenty of primes available for sensible prices.

Still, thank you - you've reinforced what I already really new - i.e. that it really does need to take cheap primes!

jonoslack

I had a niece in a similar situation. She ended up with a used 5Dmki and a used 17-40. That's what she was interested in. The problem with the question is that you need to tailor the camera to the young lady, so there is no "right" answer. I do also have a soft spot for Pentax as a starter, as their cameras a usually pretty simple without a lot of unnecessary doodads. But that may be nostalgia talking, as Pentax was my first SLR a lonnnng time ago. I worked all summer in a gorcery to buy one.
Hi There
I think that's a bit out of the cost range (a 5D and 17-40). But the principle is right - and as you say, there is no 'right' answer - except that it really does need to be something which will take cheap prime lenses (so the Pentax K-R that Jorgen suggested is a good idea).

You've all been really helpful so far - any more ideas welcome!

I don't think there are huge differences in terms of quality between any of the brands. So it boils down to two things. First, which system allows her to upgrade easily and is (more or less) future-proof. And second, which one feels right to her.

Personally I am semi-in-love with the new Sonys (even though I am a Nikon guy).