The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Guy & Jack have inspired me

etrigan63

I have started teaching photography in the form of workshops to middle school students at my kids' school. The teacher who was teaching (and I use the term loosely) photography up and quit last year before the term ended (got a job at the school board) and the school hadn't found a replacement. I volunteered and put together a beginner's curriculum spread over 8-12 sessions. We had our first one today and it was a big hit. I am including a photo contest judged by their teachers. I am hoping to get some sponsorship from Nikon so the kids will have a prize at the end of the school year. Anyone else want to sponsor these workshops?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Awesome Carlos, great of you to step up for this! I'm working on trying to score some equipment for my daughter's high school too, but have had no success to date. If I do get that end figured out, I'll be sure to share the information with you.

etrigan63

Any and all help will be appreciated Jack. I will be going to PhotoPlus in two weeks so you know I will be campaigning hard to get some sponsors for the kids. All of them right now are using little P&S cameras. I will be trying to expand their knowledge, but one of the first things they are going to figure out is how limiting those little guys actually are (unless you have a Nikon P6000, Canon G10 or Leica D-Lux4).

etrigan63

The first workshop went really well and the next one will be happening in the first week of November (due to scheduling conflicts). Also on the inspirational front, I have now started to take photos professionally! I still have my day job and the websites, but I am now doing real estate/landscape photos and some stuff at my kids' school. I covered a varsity baseball game and at least a dozen parents asked to purchase photos from me. That was very uplifting for me, as I am my own worst critic.

ecliffordsmith

Carlos,

While I am in no position to offer any advice as I have not done anything like this I would like to offer some encouragement. This is a great thing you are doing. I really did not like school and something like this would have really caught my interest.

Good luck with the sponsorship!

etrigan63

I have to agree. My elementary/middle school had nothing like this, but my high school had a complete darkroom (set up and run by the yearbook). We had no one to teach us, so we taught ourselves. Getting thrown in the deep end is sometimes fun, especially when you are a teenager. Now with digital, it is much easier to teach in some respects because you don't have to deal with all of the noxious chemicals or specialized room requirements. Makes it easier for parents to let younger kids start to learn the process. I know my parents would not have let me near a darkroom before I was fifteen.

Keep your appendages crossed for the sponsorships!