The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shooting film attracts friends.

ReeRay

I just responded to a thread on the RF forum about film and inquisitive onlookers and thought I'd share my recent experience here.

I was shooting in an underground Thai temple only a few days ago with my Hexar RF and AF. A Thai guy with his Canon digital came up to and asked if his wife could take a shot of the two of us together explaining that he was honored to be in the presence of a dedicated film man. He asked if he could hold the RF for the shot. As we were posing a young German tourist walked by with his Grandads Minolta SRT and amazingly a Thai schoolgirl with a Contax G1. Well, the Canon guy couldn't believe his luck and after we all posed he insisted on buying food/drinks for all.

P.s. I'm a 66 year old Brit. The Thai guy was 55, the German lad was 38 and the school girl was 17.

So yea, film has no barriers or peers.

ghoonk

I've always somehow felt that people feel a whole lot less threatened by film shooters. I shoot film with my Hasselblad 500CM, and people are always delighted by the novelty of it and love to chat about 'those times'. I also have a Nikon F3T that I shoot Tri-X 400 with, and love the attention it gets when I'm out on the street - a great conversation starter!