The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How's is the IPAD useful with your camera?

Godfrey

"The perfect image size to import is 2304 x 1536. An image at that size and smaller will not be reduced, but imported and displayed at the full iPad resolution of 1024 x 768, which will allow you to double-tap to zoom in without any loss of resolution. Images larger than 2304x1536 will be reduced on import"
Following the model presented by that advice and the fact that the new iPad screen has double the linear dimensions, double the resolution numbers and you'll have the best image that can be zoomed in to 2x. I haven't seen any other specific recommendations on image sizing as yet ... But I will ask. ;-)

toobacat

I took my ipad to the local store (it's not an official Apple Store, just sells all Apple products) today and tried one of their camera connector kits, but it still didn't work. Nothing happens when it is plugged in. I must have a defective port on my ipad.

Diane B

Are you using the same SD card or a different one? If you have an official Apple store reasonably close (my closest is about an hour and a half one way) it might be worthwhile to make an appt. with a genius and have them take a look at it. The year's warranty shouldn't be up yet and they may replace the Ipad. Worth trying to find out if you have a defective Ipad.

Godfrey

I took my ipad to the local store (it's not an official Apple Store, just sells all Apple products) today and tried one of their camera connector kits, but it still didn't work. Nothing happens when it is plugged in. I must have a defective port on my ipad.
Some questions:

- What kind of card?
- What kind of camera made the exposures?
- Are you plugging the camera into the USB connector or the card into the SD card connector?
- Did you format the card before making exposures on it?
- Raw only, or JPEG + raw captures?

toobacat

I'm using an sd card, and I usually format them, unless I forgot on this one. I tried with other cards when I first got the ipad though.

The camera is a GF1.

I am using the sd connector... it has the sketch of the sd card on the connector showing the correct way to insert it.

I only shoot raw files.

Diane, They told me about an Apple store about the same distance from me. They said it's a crazy place and you might have to wait a couple of hours even if you make an appointment.

Godfrey

I'm using an sd card, and I usually format them, unless I forgot on this one. I tried with other cards when I first got the ipad though.

The camera is a GF1.

I am using the sd connector... it has the sketch of the sd card on the connector showing the correct way to insert it.

I only shoot raw files.

Diane, They told me about an Apple store about the same distance from me. They said it's a crazy place and you might have to wait a couple of hours even if you make an appointment.
All Apple Retail Stores are busy places these days. You sometimes do have to wait even with an appointment, but most of the time they are reasonably punctual and help you within a few minutes of your appointment time.

I've transferred data from Panasonic GF1 and G1 cameras to the iPad 2 using the Camera Connection Kit and the SD card connector. I suspect an error based on SD card compatibility. What brand, model and capacity cards are you using? I use Sandisk Extreme 2G SD and Sandisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 8G and 16G cards, as well as Transcend SDHC Class 10 16G cards. They all work fine with the Camera Connection Kit.

So ... either your SD cards are incompatible, are defective, or there's a problem with the iPad's port.

You might also try testing by formatting a card and switching the camera to JPEG+raw, make a few exposures, and see if that works. (Panasonic's EXIF formatting on the G1/GF1 is a bit screwy ... I've seen issues with that when using raw-only capture before.) Otherwise, try a different brand of card.

If neither of those things work, the iPad should be brought in for a hardware and firmware diagnostic checkup.

Diane B

Well, its a shame to have an Ipad that isn't functioning correctly if that's the case. I don't know where this store is but my friends who have had appts. have never had to wait very long for their appts at Charlotte, Greensboro or Raleigh NC stores. YMMV though but it will certainly devalue the Ipad if its not working if you decide to sell it in the future. Don't wait too long since your warranty is for a year.

BTW, having a gallery of your own photos on the Ipad is lovely plus being able to upload and share or store while traveling.

edit: I too have uploaded from the GF1 with the same cards, 8-16GB, as Godfrey.

skinnypix

The camera is a GF1.

I only shoot raw files.

Try shooting RAW + JPEG & see what happens.

--Alan

cmace127

For those feeling adventurous, there are quite a few possibilities for using the iPad in photography. Probably the best use i have seen is wirelessly uploading pictures from an Eye-Fi SD card to an iPad (without the need for wifi). This allows the photos to be shown, say to your model, all while never removing the SD card from your camera. The uploads takes a few seconds depending on the file size so as long as you're not machine-gunning it, your images 'instantly' upload to a beautiful and portable screen. You can do this out of studio because no wifi is needed - pretty neat huh?

toobacat

All Apple Retail Stores are busy places these days. You sometimes do have to wait even with an appointment, but most of the time they are reasonably punctual and help you within a few minutes of your appointment time.

I've transferred data from Panasonic GF1 and G1 cameras to the iPad 2 using the Camera Connection Kit and the SD card connector. I suspect an error based on SD card compatibility. What brand, model and capacity cards are you using? I use Sandisk Extreme 2G SD and Sandisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 8G and 16G cards, as well as Transcend SDHC Class 10 16G cards. They all work fine with the Camera Connection Kit.

So ... either your SD cards are incompatible, are defective, or there's a problem with the iPad's port.

You might also try testing by formatting a card and switching the camera to JPEG+raw, make a few exposures, and see if that works. (Panasonic's EXIF formatting on the G1/GF1 is a bit screwy ... I've seen issues with that when using raw-only capture before.) Otherwise, try a different brand of card.

If neither of those things work, the iPad should be brought in for a hardware and firmware diagnostic checkup.
I'm using Sandisk cards (ultra and extreme). I've been using 32gb cards lately, and that's what I took with me to the store that didn't work.

I have another camera connection kit coming from B&H tomorrow, so I will be able to test it more this weekend, plus I have a neighbor with an ipad that I can test it on.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try them all this weekend.

toobacat

I got my camera connection kit and it still doesn't work with my ipad, but my neighbor just brought her ipad over and as soon as I plugged the connection kt into her ipad, it started importing the photos immediately. So at least now I know that there's probably a problem with the port on my ipad.

For those feeling adventurous, there are quite a few possibilities for using the iPad in photography. Probably the best use i have seen is wirelessly uploading pictures from an Eye-Fi SD card to an iPad (without the need for wifi). This allows the photos to be shown, say to your model, all while never removing the SD card from your camera. The uploads takes a few seconds depending on the file size so as long as you're not machine-gunning it, your images 'instantly' upload to a beautiful and portable screen. You can do this out of studio because no wifi is needed - pretty neat huh?
Actually it still uses Wifi - you just don't need an access point to connect.

If you turn off your Wifi on the iPad, you'll see that this does not work.

Cheers,

Godfrey

I got my camera connection kit and it still doesn't work with my ipad, but my neighbor just brought her ipad over and as soon as I plugged the connection kt into her ipad, it started importing the photos immediately. So at least now I know that there's probably a problem with the port on my ipad.
Either with the port or the system installation. Time to get over to an Apple Store.

G

toobacat

Well importing photos finally works on my ipad. Searching the Apple forums, someone recommended taking the ipad out of the case to get it to import photos. I bought a leather case for mine as soon as I bought it and have rarely taken it out, but as soon as I took it out of the case and tried importing photos, it worked. I have no idea how the case prevented the import, but it did. I was able to import from cards up to 16gb, but it didn't work with my 32gb cards. I wonder if the ipad 3 will work with 32gb cards?

I'm really happy that I got this working!

Diane B

Ah, I know. I have the same issue with one of my cases. The case impedes the CC going entirely into the port. It seems as though it does but not quite, not enough to make the connection needed. I have a similar issue with my Touch in its case and the charging cable not quite going deep enough even though it appears to seat--but its just that tiny difference that doesn't allow it t connect.

Glad you solved it. Now you can enjoy using it for photography also.

Godfrey

Good! Glad that mystery is solved.

Don't know about the 32G card issue. It should be fine with them, but I haven't tried any. 16G is as large a card as I'm working with.

Terry

Try and use the USB connector and go straight to the camera (with the 32gb card) and see what happens.

I tried a 32GB Sandisk extreme on all three versions of the iPad and it works fine on all of them.

A note on cases - the dock connector cutout on most of the ones I've seen are not wide enough to accommodate the adapter so they should be removed prior to plugging in - even if it looks like it is seated, it really isn't, as there's no margin for anything being in the way of the connector.

Glad you got your iPad to work.

toobacat

I tried me 32gb card again this morning. I formatted the card, then took a few pictures and the import worked. I may have forgotten to format the card when I first used it, but now it works anyway.

cmace127

Actually it still uses Wifi - you just don't need an access point to connect.

If you turn off your Wifi on the iPad, you'll see that this does not work.

Cheers,
True. By "no wifi" i meant that you don't need an access point as those are the same thing - just because a device has wifi turned on, doesn't mean that you actually have wifi (in the colloquial sense anyway).