The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How's is the IPAD useful with your camera?

Hosermage

I think more and more, I see people putting ipad into their gear bags. I even recall one person claims that he has a backup ipad.. seriously? Please enlighten me about how you're using the ipad with your cameras?

I can see the usefulness of a mackbook air since it does have plenty of storage and the horsepower to run lightroom or aperture. But even with the new iphoto app on the ipad, isn't it a pain to transfer the image to the ipad? And then, you have to worry about not loading too much files on it to fill it up. I would love to buy one if I can see the usefulness of having one.

David

Godfrey

- I have a 64G iPad. When I'm heading off to a shooting assignment, I make sure I head out with at least 30G free storage space ... for my cameras, that's enough storage for about 1500 JPEG+raw image files.

- I don't upload everything to the iPad ... I upload key frames that I either want to check or process on the fly to develop an idea for further shooting.

- A lot of my initial ideas are written in notes on the iPad. It's much smaller and handier than even an MBA for that.

- I use it to determine locations, routes, weather forecasts, record notes, provide GPS coordinates, etc on the fly

- It's very easy to move camera files and data into the iPad. Just plug in the camera or use the SD card interface from the Camera Connection Kit. Takes but a moment, and the interface is fast.

- Photosmith allows me to do sorting, grading, and other IPTC image annotation right in the field, then upload directly into Lightroom when I'm back at my image processing workstation.

- Snapseed and Photogene do a great job of on the fly JPEG image editing and distribution to blog or web. PhotoRAW can convert my raw files into editable JPEGs too.

- While on the road, the iPad also gives me access to news, places to eat, entertainment sources or entertainment right by itself, etc etc.

- It's a lot less to carry. I have MacBook Pro 13", MBA 13" and iPad 2. I know which one I'd rather have in my camera bag when I have to travel a long distance on foot, or squeeze into today's overcrowded airplanes.

bradhusick

Godfrey, great answer.

I have two questions about Photosmith. 1) does it support "pick" and "reject" tagging when syncing back to Lightroom? and 2) My default workflow is to "Copy as DNG" when importing to Lightroom - does Photosmith sync to do that properly?

Thanks,
Brad

Godfrey

Thanks, Brad. :)

I have two questions about Photosmith. 1) does it support "pick" and "reject" tagging when syncing back to Lightroom? and 2) My default workflow is to "Copy as DNG" when importing to Lightroom - does Photosmith sync to do that properly?
- Yes, the pick and reject flags are transferred.

- Can't tell you if it does the "Copy as DNG" operation on the fly ... Since I've been using Photosmith, the only cameras I've used it with produce raw files as native DNG format so I capture as JPEG+DNG and transfer that.

(Apple's DNG conversion engine isn't the greatest implementation; the Photosmith folks jiggered things around so that if you use JPEG+DNG they can extract all the appropriate metadata and present a decent image for viewing and evaluation. I find that I want the JPEGs on the iPad anyway for local processing, raw conversion with PhotoRAW is very slow indeed, so it's a win situation for me anyway.)

toobacat

I was never able to copy photos to my ipad. I was trying to use the camera connection kit, but it never worked. Apple's tech support couldn't help either, so I just returned it. I thought maybe it was because I was working with raw files, but now I see that that wasn't the problem. Maybe I should try another camera connection kit.

Godfrey

I was never able to copy photos to my ipad. I was trying to use the camera connection kit, but it never worked. Apple's tech support couldn't help either, so I just returned it. I thought maybe it was because I was working with raw files, but now I see that that wasn't the problem. Maybe I should try another camera connection kit.
Which iPad? I've heard that from a couple of folks using the original iPad but not from anyone using an iPad 2. Might also be camera or card dependent ... I have almost always used the SD card reader unit. Some cameras have interesting behaviors when connected with USB.

Diane B

I used the camera connector kit with my Ipad 1 for almost 2 years with both Panasonic and Canon raw files with no issues. I'm now using an Ipad 3 with no issues. It shouldn't be a problem at all. When you slip your SD card into the kit you simply place th CC into the power port and it automatically copies them to the Photo app, first asking if you want to select or download all, Not too much to it. When I download from a CF card I attach the camera with a mini USB cord but it works the same. I'd try another CC.

Diane

Diane B

Do you live close enough to an Apple store to have them try it and see if its the Ipad or the camera connector?

Godfrey

Don't know what the problem might be. I have used the Camera Connection Kit with SD cards from Olympus E-5, Panasonic G1, Leica M9, Ricoh GXR, Pentax K10D, and a host of different point and shoots. In all cases, I just stick the card in the slot and a few moments later the Photos app runs and shows me what's on the card.

You've made me curious to try using the USB connector with my E-1 when I arrive home. I've never tried that before. I'll report back... :)

jonoslack

I had trouble with the camera connector on my ipad1 and rather gave up. I used the ipad lots though. Now I have an ipad3. I spent a happy couple of hours on the plane using the iPhoto app. I think it's rather wonderful. The brushes are good and the results seem good too.

BANKER1

Many of you may be aware that Hasselblad has a free application that allows you to view images from a tethered camera. The computer wirelessly displays images on the iPad or iPod via the program and allows art directors or anyone else, for that matter, to view images as they are shot or any other image in that particular folder. Actually, it's a pretty cool feature.

For me, the iPad is a perfect platform to allow others to view my images.

Greg

toobacat

Do you live close enough to an Apple store to have them try it and see if its the Ipad or the camera connector?
Diane, There is a store nearby. I never tried that, since Apple's support couldn't seem to find the problem. I may buy another camera connector and see if it works. Maybe I just got a defective connector kit.

V

Vivek

If they would integrate a 41MP cam into one of these things, it would become even more useful.

Godfrey

Diane, There is a store nearby. I never tried that, since Apple's support couldn't seem to find the problem. I may buy another camera connector and see if it works. Maybe I just got a defective connector kit.
There are many cases when a company's official phone support personnel cannot find a solution to a problem, but an individual support person whom you talk to face to face can.

Godfrey

You've made me curious to try using the USB connector with my E-1 when I arrive home. I've never tried that before. I'll report back... :)
Just tested it. Set the E-1 to Storage mode and plugged it into the iPad 2 with the Camera Connection Kit. It worked just as expected.

I haven't had a chance to do any photo work on the "new" iPad yet. How good does it seem?
Terry - I've been waiting over a year to get my hands on this display - it isn't just nice as a tablet display, it's one of the best displays you can get period.

Read this article from Display Mate - new iPad Display Technology Shoot-Out

Although he says there's room for improvement - especially in the anti-glare area, he says this about the new display:

But there’s more…the new iPad’s picture quality, color accuracy, and gray scale are not only much better than any other Tablet or Smartphone, it’s also much better than most HDTVs, laptops, and monitors. In fact with some minor calibration tweaks the new iPad would qualify as a studio reference monitor.
Of course I'm biased ;-)

Cheers,

Terry

Joe - yesterday when I was at my office I had the new iPad, my MacBook Pro and another monitor all side by side. That is when I had my oh **** moment on how good the iPad display really is.

Diane B

It is wonderful. The first email that I typed was that moment for me as I saw the text hit the screen. Because I still have my Ipad one also its easy to compare altho' now I've wiped the one and am using it only for music.

I'm loving viewing photos in my galleries. Wondering if there's a need to revise sizing for those jpegs we are transferring from our PCs after LR or PS raw processing. Before we were told regardless of the size we brought into Photos the Ipad would downsize it. I will have to look for the exact size I read and see what others who know more about this would say.

Edit: I don't remember exactly where I copied this from but this is the recommendation I've been using.

"The perfect image size to import is 2304 x 1536. An image at that size and smaller will not be reduced, but imported and displayed at the full iPad resolution of 1024 x 768, which will allow you to double-tap to zoom in without any loss of resolution. Images larger than 2304x1536 will be reduced on import"