The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

password mayhem

jlm

Workshop Member
has anyone come up with a system for password management?

i must have 20 different sites requiring pwds, with all sorts of differing conditions, and i may need to access them while traveling, as well:
case sensitive or not, some need at least one cap, some with varying field length (anywhere from 4-8 some with letters and numbers, etc.
Of course, when i forget one, they either e-mail a restore link, or they make me choose a new one!

how do you keep track of this? obviously, i can write it down, but how do i keep that list handy and secure?
:banghead::cussing:

darr

RoboForm.
I use it seamlessly on my iPad and iPhone. I have been using it for 2 years now with no problems whatsoever. :)

Darr

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I won't go into details, but by using elements (names, titles, numbers etc.) that exist on some electronic device that you always carry, like an iPad or phone, it is possible to have them stored without looking like passwords. The key to success is to create some kind of pattern that only you find natural, so that you can find the passwords by following your own way of thinking.

Did that make sense?

jlm

Workshop Member
i started out with one simple pw, 4 numbers; then another vendor wanted at least six fields, so I appended three letters. Then for some reason had to change the pw, so I appended the same letters, but to the front of the number stream. (xxx222 instead of 2222xxx) So by switching which end they were on, i could usually hit it in a try or two. Then paypal or e-bay, or amex, or I-tunes, or apple asked for more fields, one even wanted one cap. meanwhile, this forum and a couple others are still good with the original four numbers. I can hardly remember by cell phone number and have no clue what my wife's is. thank god for autodial

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I use SplashID. Runs on my Mac(s) and syncs over wifi with my Blackberry. There is an iPhone app as well. Highly recommended.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I use my memory, but recycle a number of terms (three/four letter/number blocks) wherein I occasionally substitute or reverse elements. I always include shifted characters, too.

I must investigate the options described above!

bcf

1Password here as well. Very good product, allows me to have complex passwords, different for every site.

emr

1password works for me.
That's what I use too. I used bad simple passwords, was even repeating the same few ones on different services. I finally came to my senses last year and since then I have been using 1Password with individual random passwords for all the services I use.

Now I only wish 1Password to be secure.

raywest

A simple trick, which works well for pin numbers, which could possibly be extended for more complicated passwords, is to use a word or phrase which you will remember. (if it is an exising pin number then you will need a word with more different letters than the maximum digit in the number - sounds complicated, but it is not)

so, say the pin number is 8153 - use a keyword, perhaps 'getdpiforums'.

then you can write on the back of your debit card, or wherever, the letters 'ogpt', where 'o' is the 8th letter, 'g' is is the 1st, etc. unless someone knows your keyword, the letters will mean nothing.

Obviously, if you use a word with duplicated letters within the number range, you may need to do something different e.g. 'canoncamera'- then 8153 becomes 'mcnn' which would translate into numerous numeric codes (maybe not a problem for Nikon users :D. )

Best wishes,

Ray

emr

One could make a single relatively solid password with a system that's based on a conversion logic from the website name or such. I briefly tried something like that but found it annoying to be always doing the "math" when logging in to a website. And then I also figured that the system was flawed because even if my logical system was not quite obvious, having somebody figure it out would make all my passwords available to the cracker. So totally random individual passwords it is. Unfortunately the only way to really make that work is some software/browser add-on like 1Password.