The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPhone geotagging app - EXCELLENT

jonoslack

Hi there.
I wish I'd discovered this before I went to China! Obviously it's good to have geo-tagging with the camera, as with the A77, but it uses lots of battery (lots) and isn't always that fantastic.

I just discovered gps4cam - an iPhone app for geotagging photos.

What a neat idea!

it uses the GPS info from the phone (and the date and time if you want as well).
You simply Start a Trip, and the phone grabs a gps reading at intervals you specify. When you finish the trip, a bar code is shown on the phone, and you snap that with your camera(s). Then use their desktop import routine and the program tags the files with the correct GPS data . .. how cool is that!

(now everybody can tell me they've ben using it for ages :ROTFL:

Hosermage

Let me get this straight... so you sync your camera time with the phone time first, then it simply record your phone's GPS location at a fixed time interval. Then, you can run it through a program that will take the recorded time in the EXIF data to look up the GPS location data and add them to the EXIF of the file?

Braeside

Did a brief test with the app today, using my iPhone 4S and Ricoh GXR with A12 Mount.

Hit one problem, the photo I took of the QR Code with an M mount 25mm lens was not giving a big enough QR code on the photo because of the MFD. Therefore the import program on the Mac could not detect any GPS info to tag the photos.

I tried a couple of times, with the same problem.

I then used the P10 module on the GXR which has closeup facilities and got a close up of the QR Code and that worked fine.

Question Jono, did you have similar problems with the M9 and taking close ups of the QR Code? (I guess you would just use another camera for the QR Code photo that did focus close enough).

Braeside

Further tests, I found there is an option in the preferences of the desktop import program: QRCode decoding - I turned off fast decoding and it worked with the lower magnification photos of the QR code taken with the GXR A12 Mount and wide angle lens.

peterv

Let me get this straight. Jono, you buy an app some kid (or a respected software engineer, for that matter) developed in his basement, and you let that program write stuff into your original raw? :lecture:
Or does is place a sidecar file with the GPS info in the same folder as the original?

Braeside

Hi Peter, It does write the geotag into the raw file (not a sidecar file). However you choose the source and destination, so you are writing this into a copy of the raw file, not the original (though you can if you feel lucky).

There is a different and possibly safer way to use it.
Instead of relying in their desktop application to geotag your photos (I do not), you can export the tracklog and use it in any other application capable of geotagging such as LR4, or Aperture or Ingestamatic, and in this way the relevant information will be recorded either in the catalog or in a sidecar file.