The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The art of Photography: Subverted by science?

fotografz

I've been saying similar things for the past year too. Nicely written.

Similar in intent to the message promoted by CJ Chilvers in his "A Lesser Photographer - A Manifesto"

My own journey towards simplicity and re-focusing on Photography has been interesting as my equipment kit expanded as I worked through to what equipment I was going to use. However, I'm very much settled on what I will use now and find myself becoming increasingly disinterested in discussions of the gear, what's new, etc. What I have is certainly good enough for my photo work.

onwards!
G
Thank you very much for this. I've downloaded it and will read it throughly when not distracted. I only gave it a quick glance because I spent the day getting ready for a shoot on Saturday.

As I was preparing as I always do ... it struck me exactly what I was doing. I studied the schedule and went on line to tour the Google street views and promo pics of the locations I'd be shooting at ... figuring the time of day and where the sun would be for each series of shots. I then began formulating ideas of what and how I want to capture the images. I made notes for my assistant and drew things on the location pics I'd downloaded. Most of it was just ideas and how to light it ... I also had to prepare for the possibility of a rainy day.

Only at the end did I assemble the gear which hadn't entered my mind until the last minute ... which camera, what lenses and most of all what lighting tools would allow me to accomplish the task at hand. The day had been spent thinking creatively about making photographs and I never touch a single piece of equipment save using my computer to inform and a pencil to draw and write about ideas.

I realize not everyone works in this manner, and I often just go about it spontaneously myself. Yet it is an indication of "visual thinking" that informs our choices.

Thanks again,

-Marc

S

Shelby Lewis

I'll throw one more concept into the ring... scale.

I'm not speaking photographically, but merely about the sheer volume of images created every minute of every day, around the globe. It seems to me that the onslaught of new gear (and the technological advance associated with it) is a function of the shear scale of social media and the virtual (viral?) sharing of pixels. I'm bewildered daily by the amount of good and bad imagery created... and how it's shared around the world. The saturation of the collective consciousness of the world by imagery (good or bad) helps to beget, IMO, this rapid advance of technology... and it's to the point where new content is seems impossible to create. It's like the photo genome has been cracked...

Music is much the same... in western society our 12-note system has been exhaustively utilized, as have typical rhythmic and harmonic devices. It's tough to listen to ANYTHING these days without it reminding one of something else.

The differences are in the nuance, and the performance... and this is where I find value still in photography. The performance of the craft, whether that be during a session or in the processing or what have you. If I'm lucky enough to create an image with enough nuance to rise above the other images out there that it surely will resemble, then I'm happy. I'm not sure if the science of our cameras has subverted the art directly... for me it's how easy it is to share the images that has been the real game changer.

Last edited:

jonoslack

However, I don't agree that "stuff" can't make a difference in one's art ... it will IF you have a vision or idea that requires it. I'm just pointing out that one "should" proceed the other.
That's not actually what I said, I said that it's unlikely to make a difference unless it brings something you need (pretty much what you've just said).

As far as the general or average level of photographic work having improved, I agree, and said so in the blog. That was the point to some degree. Snip . . .

Is it all advancing the art of photography? I'd argue no. I'd say, it is swelling the middle ranks of average, with a few bright spots beyond that. Perhaps the bright sparks are worth it all ... but I'm not sure it is when one realizes all the creative potential and skill hinted at out there ... but seems to be stuck in second gear.
Okay - well, I think this is an interesting point, but I'm not sure that it's fair to blame technology for this - surely the difficulty is seeing the artistic wood from the competent trees, something that was much easier to do when there were fewer competent trees!

Added to which the much simpler means of propagation of photos makes it even harder to find / see the worthwhile stuff.

The whole thing hinges on whether one is happy as is ... if so, then it is all a moot point. If "could be" isn't of interest, then there is little more to say. The last line of my blog opinion was ... "So can you." If one doesn't "want" to, oh well. But the point is that you "can".

So, on the other hand, I believe there are many who aren't satisfied with status quo ... have reached a point in their trek where all they are doing is repeating themselves ... but don't know quite how to go about moving forward creatively. There-in lies the rub ... you can get every nano detail of technical data your brain can absorb, even plenty of applications of that technology (lighting forums or how to seminars, or location gatherings for example), but how does one "personally" develop a more meaningful purpose, sharpen their seeing, work from the basis of an idea, learn to be more creatively sensitive? ... in short, take it to the next level.
Well, I quite agree - that's the big question (maybe one simply joins one of Irakly's seminars!). It's certainly something which exercises my mind almost permanently - still, I think that by blaming technology you muddy the water - the truth is just that . . . . if you want to improve artistically then you have to put lots of effort into it . . . and you'd better not muddle it up with improving technically

So, as far as I'm concerned, I agree with lots of your individual points, but I rather feel that blaming the technology is aiming in the wrong direction.

Personally - my principal reason for not going to MF is that I feel that it would add constraints to my photography without really adding opportunity. . . looking at the fun with MF threads here doesn't make me feel differently (with some notable exceptions). Perhaps that rests your case for you :ROTFL:

Whatever else, it's an interesting discussion, and seems to have induced Godfrey to buy himself a yellow mercedes!

all the best

fotografz

That's not actually what I said, I said that it's unlikely to make a difference unless it brings something you need (pretty much what you've just said).

Okay - well, I think this is an interesting point, but I'm not sure that it's fair to blame technology for this - surely the difficulty is seeing the artistic wood from the competent trees, something that was much easier to do when there were fewer competent trees!

Added to which the much simpler means of propagation of photos makes it even harder to find / see the worthwhile stuff.

Well, I quite agree - that's the big question (maybe one simply joins one of Irakly's seminars!). It's certainly something which exercises my mind almost permanently - still, I think that by blaming technology you muddy the water - the truth is just that . . . . if you want to improve artistically then you have to put lots of effort into it . . . and you'd better not muddle it up with improving technically

So, as far as I'm concerned, I agree with lots of your individual points, but I rather feel that blaming the technology is aiming in the wrong direction.

Personally - my principal reason for not going to MF is that I feel that it would add constraints to my photography without really adding opportunity. . . looking at the fun with MF threads here doesn't make me feel differently (with some notable exceptions). Perhaps that rests your case for you :ROTFL:

Whatever else, it's an interesting discussion, and seems to have induced Godfrey to buy himself a yellow mercedes!

all the best
Yes, more salient points here as well as the additional comments by others regarding the mass proliferation of images.

To be clear, It's not "blaming technology" ... it is about the obsession with it, compounded by the relentless and exponentially increasing pace of change that collectively occupies so much time and energy that may be better spent elsewhere. So, I'm agreeing that it requires concerted effort to do that, and it's best to not muddle it up with so much attention to what's next in gear as opposed to what's next in your heart and mind. That was the whole point of the Blog post all along.

The primary question is not about stemming the tide, it's about stepping back and assessing one's own individuality, creative spirit and direction without the subversive influences of technological development (equipment marketing OR image proliferation) ... or more importantly the weight of opinion on those awash in data with less personal creative direction to guide them. I think it all can be over-whelming, and actually fear it is desensitizing a lot more people than ever before.

Image proliferation isn't new, it is just more publicly wide spread than before because of the internet. As an Art Director with money to spend, I cannot tell you how many submissions I was exposed to from those trying to get that money. We literally had a whole room stacked floor to ceiling with director reels (DVDs), my office was crammed with Black-Books, industry "Bibles", and endless promo pieces or portfolios from photography studios ... every mail delivery brought more and more. The internet just organized them a little better. The difference was that we evaluated with a specific purpose in mind, not just images for the sake of it. There was so many beautifully executed "empty calorie" images as to be depressing at times. Our dumpster was chock full of photography every week.

As to your "Trees" analogy, I tend to disagree ... while there may be a forest of "competent trees" ... competent isn't the distinguishing feature we should be celebrating ... it is the Red Wood towering above the forest we should be looking for ... or trying to be ... :)

-Marc

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
To me there is a component of this that is influenced by our comfort zones with respect to how much of ourselves we are willing to expose in an online forum. Discussing photography from a "science" perspective is far easier and safer than exposing our very personal struggles with creative development and commitment.

The few true artistic geniuses I've known on a personal level tend to be driven, almost as if by some internal demon, to pursue their vision. Being around them is often uncomfortable and confronting since it's only natural to make comparisons to my own ability (or lack thereof) to face my demons and go beyond them.

As much as I respect and admire the members of this forum, many of whom I have come to think of as friends, I'm not so well adjusted and confident as to allow them to bear witness to my failings or fears. There's a bunch of intimate stuff that I can barely stand to discuss with the "real" people in my life, never mind a group of people who only exist as a collection of pixels on my monitor.

So by default, science is easier and less threatening. Getting past my own self-created and scary barriers to a place of true creativity is the proverbial "Moose-in-the-room" that I carry with me everywhere in the form of fantasized but as yet unrealized potential. Who knows, maybe a photography forum will someday prove to be the key that unlocks all that potential. But like someone who needs to lose 100 pounds, I actually already know what I need to do but lack only the courage to do it.

Best,
Tim

jonoslack

surely the difficulty is seeing the artistic wood from the competent trees, something that was much easier to do when there were fewer competent trees!
As to your "Trees" analogy, I tend to disagree ... while there may be a forest of "competent trees" ... competent isn't the distinguishing feature we should be celebrating ... it is the Red Wood towering above the forest we should be looking for ... or trying to be ... :)

-Marc
Perhaps you misunderstand my analogy - as it seems to me that we're saying the same thing!

I'll think about the rest of what you said later!

V

Vivek

The premise of the discourse is that somehow order has been shaken up by "science".

Science as it is practiced now is within an extremely closed community with its own languages and hierarchy. Very little of any of the (public funded!) findings ever get published openly. If you want see what some group did in the cancer front or something like that, you have to pay a hefty sum (members get a discount naturally) to access it.

I think your whole discourse is flawed with misplaced arguments and anecdotes (Shelby has a point and that is being confused with "science").

How can a closed "school" corrupt anything else? :confused:

fotografz

To me there is a component of this that is influenced by our comfort zones with respect to how much of ourselves we are willing to expose in an online forum. Discussing photography from a "science" perspective is far easier and safer than exposing our very personal struggles with creative development and commitment.

The few true artistic geniuses I've known on a personal level tend to be driven, almost as if by some internal demon, to pursue their vision. Being around them is often uncomfortable and confronting since it's only natural to make comparisons to my own ability (or lack thereof) to face my demons and go beyond them.

As much as I respect and admire the members of this forum, many of whom I have come to think of as friends, I'm not so well adjusted and confident as to allow them to bear witness to my failings or fears. There's a bunch of intimate stuff that I can barely stand to discuss with the "real" people in my life, never mind a group of people who only exist as a collection of pixels on my monitor.

So by default, science is easier and less threatening. Getting past my own self-created and scary barriers to a place of true creativity is the proverbial "Moose-in-the-room" that I carry with me everywhere in the form of fantasized but as yet unrealized potential. Who knows, maybe a photography forum will someday prove to be the key that unlocks all that potential. But like someone who needs to lose 100 pounds, I actually already know what I need to do but lack only the courage to do it.

Best,
Tim
That is quite insightful ... and actually revealing.

However, the suggestion isn't to open yourself up like a pea-pod and show your inner workings to the mass of the internet world ... creative advancement is indeed a lonely endeavor most of the time. Yet, how do you address the Moose in the Room?"

One way, as I mentioned in the Blog, (and there are others), is that history shows us solitary effort doesn't preclude interaction with like minded artists of all types ... it is a very strong tradition in art. History is a great compass, we only need to adapt its universal lessons.

The Impressionists knew one another and debated ideas ... then often went off on their own to do something about it. Braque and Picasso worked side-by-side when developing the notion of Cubism and its time and space theory that literally revolutionized visual thinking forever.

One need only observe the cross influence between James Agee and Walker Evens in producing "Let Us Now Praise Famous Men"

IMO, we need more Alfred Stieglitz mentality and less dominate websites with a mundane popularity agenda that has more influence over the photographic world than anyone ever dreamed possible.

Now, admittedly we aren't them. Yet, in my career I saw thousands of creative people thrown together in the name of "Art in the service of commerce." ... and the great revolution in advertising took place when Bill Bernback (DDB: Doyle, Dane, Bernbach) had the novel idea of throwing Art Directors and Writers together as teams instead of working individually ... resulting in ads like the VW "Lemon" ad campaign ... I've seen this in action, and it is a powerful creative force where each individual is greater than when working alone and then tends to stay greater.

The commonality between most of us is that "Moose in the Room" you mention ... and the objective isn't to fess up to it ... because we all know it is there ... it is exploring ideas on what to do about it, even though if we do it right, the Moose may never be gone and we'll never be satisfied ... which, to me, is just an indication of continuous growth as a creative person.

-Marc

fotografz

The premise of the discourse is that somehow order has been shaken up by "science".

Science as it is practiced now is within an extremely closed community with its own languages and hierarchy. Very little of any of the (public funded!) findings ever get published openly. If you want see what some group did in the cancer front or something like that, you have to pay a hefty sum (members get a discount naturally) to access it.

I think your whole discourse is flawed with misplaced arguments and anecdotes (Shelby has a point and that is being confused with "science").

How can a closed "school" corrupt anything else? :confused:
Huh?

The blog discourse headline below:

"Has the science of photography stolen the limelight from the art of photography?"

Not science as a community, or secret science as practiced by weapons makers, or science as discussed by MIT super nerds.

Science as employed in making photos ... which is all over the internet and discussed in minute detail ad nauseum.

I'm just sharing thoughts about questioning the balance, that's all.

Best,

-Marc

S

Shelby Lewis

... and the objective isn't to fess up to it ... because we all know it is there ... it is exploring ideas on what to do about it, even though if we do it right, the Moose may never be gone and we'll never be satisfied ... which, to me, is just an indication of continuous growth as a creative person.

-Marc
The hidden idea behind this, IMO, is the idea behind life itself... that is, it's about the journey and process... and an attempt to grow during that process (whether that be creative or physical). In the end, the product is secondary and on a another level the idea of art becomes subsidiary to the idea of how we spend our brief time on this planet. I like to view my personal time as a means to fulfill whims creatively, and the overwhelming proliferation of imagery has made that (due to my own failings) difficult for me.

Brain clutter.

It's funny how, in my heart and mind, I know exactly the type of images I want to create yet I rarely spend time REALLY working on those personal ideals. The technological advances in the cameras themselves seem, in my case, to have not made that much a difference... probably because these cameras are capable of so much more than I (most?) generally require.

Speaking of technology... Due to financial (being a doctoral student with children) and "gig" concerns, that I'm probably moving back to 35mm for a few years to better support my family by shooting more weddings, portraits, and architectural work. I've received so many private messages imploring me not to do so due to the step back in IQ I'll take... which strikes me as odd seeing that equipment choice has as much to do with personal situation as it does camera specs. In the end, I don't feel like anything I've created really is good enough (artistically) to measure up to the technological abilities of these cameras. I truly think my work will look like my work (which I wish was better) whether I choose Sony, Nikon, or canon... and that there will be a time in the future when I might require better equipment. Right now, my love for the RZ/Leaf combination will have to be supplanted by something else... but I bet my image-making will change very little. I'm not really sad to be "downgrading"... even though I know I'll be an MF shooter again in the future due to my love for the slower pace of the systems.

It's about process. Process, process, process!

V

Vivek

Science as employed in making photos ... which is all over the internet and discussed in minute detail ad nauseum.

I'm just sharing thoughts about questioning the balance, that's all.

Best,

-Marc
Marc, Why on earth would you call that "science"? Chatter can never become science.

The thread title here:
The art of Photography: Subverted by science?
and then go on with schools and such?

It is misplaced.

If this is meant as some sort of Krockwellian means to catch attention that is OK.

But, I do not see a connection of science subverting photography or even art.

Hosermage

I was reading about this when I remembered this thread:
A Manifesto For Creativity In The Modern Era | Techdirt

I'm merely a newbie with less than a year in photography so I won't even voice my opinions here. However, there seems to be good arguments from both sides.

Okay, maybe I will say one thing, or more... It was the camera tech/science that got me through the door, so I won't say that it isn't helping. The camera is a tool, so my interests in tech is to get the most enabling camera within my budget, and it's because of that limited budget that makes the science part more interesting because it forces me to study it to get the most out of my money.

However, now that I bought my used M9, I'm far less concerned about the tech stuff and more concentrated on how to make better photos. I'll probably re-evaluate my gears again in a year or two, but I think it's healthy.

I think the "other" tech/science, like the internet, does help the beginners more. Without it, I wouldn't be able to see so many inspiring photos that make me want to "up my game", and meet you fine folks. And, I take all criticism as positives because they help me grow as a photographer. One day, if I can be so lucky, when the "art" of my photography has plateau'd, I will try to remember that upgrading my gear isn't the answer.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
They have to train their eyes more than their camera skills.
The real thrust of Marc's piece is not science vs. art, as I read it; it's looking/feeling inwards to develop oneself (in the process of refining the discrimination of, and the meaning of, the light that hits the retina), in preference to the explicitly outward mental movement of examining/comparing/assessing the gear.

And I am more in Vivek's camp re. his interpretation of 'science', but feel that Marc meant more to the engineering manifestation of it (and the more popular end because of that). Not to mention that the whole implicit structure of our culture and language is heavily influenced by the processes that all science engages in, so in one sense this juxtaposition is inevitable.

For me personally, the tension between art and engineering is creative, and I have moved to a radical simplification of my own gear as a response to looking deeper in the way Marc discusses.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I've been saying similar things for the past year too. Nicely written.

Similar in intent to the message promoted by CJ Chilvers in his "A Lesser Photographer - A Manifesto"

My own journey towards simplicity and re-focusing on Photography has been interesting as my equipment kit expanded as I worked through to what equipment I was going to use. However, I'm very much settled on what I will use now and find myself becoming increasingly disinterested in discussions of the gear, what's new, etc. What I have is certainly good enough for my photo work.

onwards!
G
Thanks. Actually the iPhone would be all you need. Was a very good reading.

V

Vivek

The real thrust of Marc's piece is not science vs. art, as I read it; it's looking/feeling inwards to develop oneself (in the process of refining the discrimination of, and the meaning of, the light that hits the retina), in preference to the explicitly outward mental movement of examining/comparing/assessing the gear.

And I am more in Vivek's camp re. his interpretation of 'science', but feel that Marc meant more to the engineering manifestation of it (and the more popular end because of that). Not to mention that the whole implicit structure of our culture and language is heavily influenced by the processes that all science engages in, so in one sense this juxtaposition is inevitable.

For me personally, the tension between art and engineering is creative, and I have moved to a radical simplification of my own gear as a response to looking deeper in the way Marc discusses.

Kit, Thanks for your elegant post! :thumbs:

Marc, That is what I was trying to say that Kit did very nicely. :)

Inner reflection is a heavy ( and an important) subject and isn't restricted to just photography. ;)

T.Karma

People want desperately to believe science will be their savor rather than doing the hard work required to become better ... and I think it is a mass epidemic of this sort of thing these days ... with all kinds of people hanging on every hint of yet more technical advancements that might spur on their own brain and creative spirit ... why some think that will happen when it didn't with past "game changing" tech I have no idea.
-Marc
Well said.

It is a game mind versus heart. The mind is collectively under the drug of "objective progress", while the heart suffers badly from this reduction and separation of reality.

Somewhere I was reading long time ago, that when an age has no more "grand ideas", or you could say the "grandeur" in vision and thinking, when people have narrower field of view and get stuck in details, an era will come to an end.

I believe we will soon be ready to accept that outer progress is as useful as a great car with no fuel inside, when we do not develop at the same time inner vision, inner hearing and a substantially new form of communication and understanding.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As I was preparing as I always do ...

-Marc
Here's an area that is unfortunately suffering from the galloping technological development. Many photographers, pros as well as amateurs, seem to believe that advanced technology can replace preparations. Sometimes I get the impression that people think technology can replace light as well. "No problem, I just use ISO 500,000 and can correct it in PS CSonemillion."

To some extent, it's true of course. One can get away with things that wasn't even remotely possible just a few years ago. The downside is that, by not preparing properly, one loses the time spent with the subject and scenario in one's mind before the actual shoot. This is all the more a pity when one thinks about all the excellent tools available for preparations these days, like Google Maps, Wikipedia etc.

Time is a factor that can't be replaced by technology, even though many photographers seem to think that. But the time it takes getting to know a model, or the time it takes waiting for that decisive moment or getting familiar with a scene is exactly the same with the newest, hottest digital wonder as it is with a view camera. Photography can be fast, but good photography is sometimes slow. Great art is almost always very, very slow, although the actual exposure time is just a fraction of a second.

Last edited:

aboudd

The art of photography is being subverted by technology, laziness and an ever declining standard for excellence. Kirk Tuck discussed this on his blog last week and I concurred for the most part with this posting:

Kirk Tuck, who makes me think every now and then - and I hate that - has a very interesting article about camera equipment and the craft of photography. Go see his VSL posting Everything has Changed. To quote his thoughtful piece "We’re moving from a craft mentality which demanded a long and detailed mastery of all areas of a discipline into a post-craft world where the latest apps and styles take cultural precedence over perfectionism. " He contends that the 19th century craft sensibility is now gone and technology has brought us to instant production of mediocre quality. While I would not want to return to a time when leeches were the cure of choice for most medical maladies, photographers, especially those just starting out, would benefit from a more rudimentary approach to the art or craft or whatever you would want to call it. It is not possible to find a digital camera without auto-exposure, auto-focus, four hundred and twenty two scene settings and video functions. Hell, it's hard to find a cell phone without those features either. If one wants to learn any craft, one should start with the basics. For new photographers in particular, that means turning off all automatic functions and learning the relationships of aperture to shutter speed to ISO. Some will make that choice, others will leave the camera on full auto and start snapping.

In my April Fool's send up of a new Leica M10.af, I invented a camera without an LCD screen. I said it would encourage a film like approach to photography. Like waiting for the film to come back from the lab, one would have to wait until the files were downloaded to the computer to view them. Were I to make a camera to teach with, it would have a "learn" button that would disable the screen, turn off AF, AE and motor drive functions and limit the amount of captures to 36. That would force a more thoughtful approach to creating a photograph, one would have to think before shooting - wouldn't that be refreshing? The digital shotgun approach to photography, shooting three hundred images to uncover one good one would be eliminated. As an alternative this could easily be done with an inexpensive used Minolta SRT 101 and a few rolls of Ilford FP4. This is all great in theory, but it probably won't catch on and the reason goes beyond photography, art or music, (diatribe alert) it goes to our inability as a society to delay gratification and our willingness to accept mediocrity as a standard.

I have a number of theories as to when this started, one of which is with stock photography. Instead of paying photographers to create a unique image to fulfill a need, advertising agencies and magazines started using existing photography, later to be called stock shots, instead. The driving reason was of course cost. Why pay a photographer thousands of dollars for a unique, defining image when you can license use of an image for $400.00? The public wouldn't notice the difference. Many photographers started creating stock images and cataloging them to fill this need. To their credit, it least the images were to professional standards, many created in studio. Unfortunately the net result for many professional photographers became the loss of assignment work. It didn't stop there.

As the demand for quantity in anything accelerates, quality often falls. For example, You have three hundred cable channels and you still fall back on one to watch well written Law & Order episodes every evening. Digital auto-everything cameras make it possible for anyone with ears to generate (notice I did not write create) marginally acceptable images, and there is always someone willing to use them. With royalty-free images now available, this further lowers our standards. CNN took this to the bottom of the pit with their "i-report" model, described as "Accepts video, photos and audio from a computer or cell phone. A compilation of news items submitted by citizen journalism". Translated this means, you give CNN shitty images so they do not have to send someone out to cover a story and they put your name next to the photo or video, you get 15 seconds of fame, instead of paying for something worthwhile. Last week a tourist was beaten in Boston while a bunch of people, none of which helped him, recorded the assault on their cell phones. The images of course, later broadcasted. This could launch me into a separate diatribe, but I limit these to one per posting.

Leaving this path for awhile, one of Kirk's other points (among several good ones) is that by constantly upgrading our gear in pursuit of the shiniest technology, in essence, we no longer own our gear, we sort of rent it. We buy a $3,000 camera, keep it a year, sell it for $2,000 and buy the next $3,000 version. Cost of use of the camera for a year is $1,000, we are renting it for $85.00 a month.

This brings me to our collective inability to delay gratification, something Nikon, Canon et al depend on. Mea Culpa. I am one of the worst offenders. Since going digital I have not kept a camera more than 18 months, even as these purchases are made in the belief that I have bought the best thing and it will serve me well for a long time. It could of course. My clients use my work in brochures and on web sites. Do you really think there would be any difference between the files generated with last years Nikon D3 and next years Nikon D5? Not for their purposes. I would guess the images of a five year old camera would serve as well.

We should all get off this treadmill. We should be more craft oriented. We should aspire to use our gear to create images of higher and higher quality instead of sinking into the pool of mediocrity. We should give our credit cards and bank accounts a chance to exhale at the same time.

I've been trying to follow my own advice. I've cut back from a 7 lens medium format system to a 3 lens version. I cancelled my pre-order on the Nikon D4 and I have spent more time learning the finer points of post-processing my images. It ain't easy, it is akin to trying to walk away from a perfectly prepared rack of dry-rub ribs. I hear the siren call of megapixels in the distance ... must resist.