The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

something new

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Sportscars also need real coils, contacts, distributers and oh yes, a carburetor too.
Just ask the guys on Top Gear :ROTFL:
-bob

Godfrey

Sportscars also need real coils, contacts, distributers and oh yes, a carburetor too.
Actually, the only real criteria that makes any sense is that you should be able to remove the carpets and the passenger seat, then win the 24 Hours of LeMans ...

"Stirling, what the hell are you doing with my car???"

;-)

monza

-bob
Haha :)

My 1970 911 had no carb (mechanical fuel injection) although it did have a regular coil and points.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Well, if we're showing off our past and present yellow cars. :D This is the only car that I've had seller's remorse over. :(

The Land Rover is a lot more practical as a camera bag and in the weather.

Godfrey

Now that's another lovely yellow car. :)

Had the SLK out for a nice drive this evening. It is delightful. I'm getting the hang of driving it ... It likes to be told what to do with a certain authority. :)

GrahamWelland

Now that's another lovely yellow car. :)

Had the SLK out for a nice drive this evening. It is delightful. I'm getting the hang of driving it ... It likes to be told what to do with a certain authority. :)
I was taught a long time ago at track driving school that you should drive 'em like you stole 'em :D Get that roof down and enjoy the California sunshine. Your SLK was made for SoCal and you couldn't have picked a nicer colour either. (I am of course STRONGLY biased!!)

monza

To celebrate your acquisition, the Mercedes F1 team is on the front row at the Chinese Grand Prix. First time that has happened since 1955. :) (Fangio and Moss.)

Godfrey

I was taught a long time ago at track driving school that you should drive 'em like you stole 'em :D Get that roof down and enjoy the California sunshine. Your SLK was made for SoCal and you couldn't have picked a nicer colour either. (I am of course STRONGLY biased!!)
Oh yeah. And when the supercharger kicks in, it wakes up and flies. Just amazing how smooth and solid it is. The only rattle I hear on this 12 yr old car with 125K miles on it is the plastic dealer license plate frame...

Godfrey

To celebrate your acquisition, the Mercedes F1 team is on the front row at the Chinese Grand Prix. First time that has happened since 1955. :) (Fangio and Moss.)
Stirling Moss once ran into me, tossing me into the mud, at a rainy event at Goodwood. I wonder if I can find anyone with the cable channel to watch the race?

jonoslack

Hmmm Sterling Moss is my wife's first cousin once removed . . . (do I get a badge?). Unfortunately we don't know him, and he's never tossed me (or Emma) into the mud!

GrahamWelland

The thing is Jono that if you're a native englishman we're all probably distant cousins :D (in full disclosure, I'm mostly english, scots and even a quarter one of 'them' - they who call us the roast beefs :) )

That said, kudos for being distantly related to a true gentleman of motor sport who nonetheless would shamelessly put you in the ditch or crash trying for the position or win. Respect! :thumbs:

jonoslack

The thing is Jono that if you're a native englishman we're all probably distant cousins :D (in full disclosure, I'm mostly english, scots and even a quarter one of 'them' - they who call us the roast beefs :) )

That said, kudos for being distantly related to a true gentleman of motor sport who nonetheless would shamelessly put you in the ditch or crash trying for the position or win. Respect! :thumbs:
Well, I'm not related to him at all. But my mother in law used to play with him as a child, so it isn't quite so obscure!

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Oh my, what a thread to have wandered into. The last car I owned was a 1996 Acura NSX. The aluminum top would come off and slide into a special place between the trunk and engine. The trunk could only hold golf clubs.

That was all in the 20 year gap between my MF film days and digital so I have no pictures of the poor car. For a mid-engine 8000rpm screamer, it was very easy to drive. Oh, it wasn't yellow. It was red. It was the job. We all had to have red sports cars. :loco:

Not nearly as happy a car as the 325i that preceded it. Now THAT was a fun and practical car...

--Matt

Godfrey

Ok, just to cap this off:

The Kustard Kraut went in for its service today. New battery, new motor mounts, new cam actuator, all fresh lubricants and filters, a couple other small details. Came out running and feeling like a new car now, hard to believe it's 12 years old. Starts, runs, shifts, etc so much smoother now.

I stopped by the Mercedes dealer on the way home and ordered two new keys for it (just had one from the dealer). And I located an original owners manual, original toolkit and original compressor for the spare tire, they're on the way.

So happy I went for it. This car is a delight to drive. I'm going to enjoy it for a very long time. :)

Braeside

Nothing worse than touring the South of France and not being able to open the top because the trunk is full of suitcases!
HATE it when that happens :p

Have met and spoken to Stirling Moss too, but never had a convertible, not the weather for one here. Car is a wee MINI Cooper, just big enough for me and my gear. LOL

tsjanik

Great autos. My first car was an MGB; wonderful car when it was running well. I now live in a climate where none of the cars posted is practical or even drivable part of the year. A 3 ft snowfall overnight is not unusual. So, Subaru Forester turbo: goes 0-60 in 5.9 s, although not through 3 ft of snow.

_IGP8082_3993 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

D&A

Great autos. My first car was an MGB; wonderful car when it was running well. I now live in a climate where none of the cars posted is practical or even drivable part of the year. A 3 ft snowfall overnight is not unusual. So, Subaru Forester turbo: goes 0-60 in 5.9 s, although not through 3 ft of snow.

_IGP8082_3993 by tsjanik47, on Flickr
Regarding practicality, I'm with you Tom! I too drive a couple of Foresters and in terms of reliability, they can't be beat. One of mine just recently passed the 300,000 mile mark and the others I had followed close by. Of course they are not the most exciting cars to drive (although you have the excellent turbo)...so I also have my other "Yellow" sort of classic type of car (which I'll take a pic and post sometime), but unfortunately with gas prices, doesn't get driven much these days.

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

Dave:

Actually the turbo is pretty exciting. I scared myself a few times with the car until I got used to the acceleration. Equipped with a 5-speed manual and large sunroof which turns it into a de facto convertible it's all the excitement I can handle at my age. The car loses nothing to my MGB, except for not breaking down. :)

Godfrey

ummm ... a sunroof on a sedan or sport yute is NOT a convertible. My Land Rover Freelander had sunroof and removable rear top, and it was *still* not a convertible. ;-)

The SLK has nothing to do with practicality. It has to do with driving pleasure. !