The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Quandry of Choice

Godfrey

I'm heading up to Portland for a weekend visit with friends. Traveling by air so I don't want to carry a lot, and the point of the visit isn't so much to do photography as it is to hang out and relax away from home. I am bringing the iPad because I want/need to do some work on my book over the weekend. k

So what equipment to bring?

Well, I could just toss the M9 with the 40 or 50mm lens into my bag and be done with that. Or I could do the same with the GXR. Or I could take one of the film cameras (Nikon F, Leica M4-2, Rollei 35S, Polaroid SX-70).

Or I could just say heck with it, bring the iPhone 4S and shoot any pix I want with that.

It's these quandaries of choice and intent, picking the equipment that fits some arbitrary bunch of circumstances, that I find get in my way more than anything else. Once I've got the gear in the bag and I'm out at wherever it is I'm going, I just work to make photos that I like with what's at hand.

The problem is I really like working with all of the equipment I have. So choosing, before I am out of reach of it, is difficult. When I had just one camera (well, one and its backup twin), decisions like this were simple.

What do you folks with a bazillion cameras and lenses do?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If there's no particular photographic purpose with the trip, I pick the bag that seems the most convenient for the journey and then take the camera and lens(es) that will fit after the necessities have been packed. When returning home, I usually can't figure out how I had space for the camera in the bag to start with, and often end up carrying the camera separately, looking like a bloody tourist, which is what I am anyway :)

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
In similar gathering like this, I'll bring a M9 with a 40mm lens.

Enjoy your trip!

Godfrey

:) I see the decision-making process is capricious. (-;

The M9 with 40 lens takes up just about the same space as the GXR with 21 and 40 mm lenses. I'll just stuff one or the other of those kits into the Rickshaw iPad bag as that's what I carry almost every day now for the iPad and all the usual junk that I hate carrying in my pockets.

thanks!

Hosermage

Will you be visiting any places in particular? Personally, I enjoyed seeing the japanese garden and Multnomah Falls, so in that case, might need something wider?

Godfrey

Will you be visiting any places in particular? Personally, I enjoyed seeing the japanese garden and Multnomah Falls, so in that case, might need something wider?
It's pretty much an open call for the weekend, but I'm not there by myself. My partner and our friends will also be weighing in on where to go and what to do. Opportunities for my kind of photographic adventure will be limited ... :-\

I have pretty much decided to take the GXR with 21 and 40 mm lenses. That's wide and longish-normal, my favorite pairing. If I really feel the need, I'll toss the 90mm in the bag too, but I suspect I'd just be carrying a lens for no purpose.

tsjanik

There is no such thing as carrying a lens for no purpose. If nothing else, it avoids the possibility of needing it and not having it. Leave something else behind.