The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

9 colleagues in a video interview

Stefan Steib

Petapixel has published 9 video interviews from the Netherlands, about the future of their jobs, their views on the current situation and their feelings about photography.

Facing The Future: Nine Perspectives on the Future of Photography

Always good to listen to different views on the same subject.

Some comments from my side: I am still not sure if age and enthusiasm correlate, but for sure many younger ones tend to mostly ignore economics. I am also not sure if a Doctor should feel with the patients... and as an analogy if "becoming friends" with the photographed is giving a more objective view on things. So I´d be curious on some more thoughts about this.

regards
Stefan

fotografz

Very interesting post Stefan.

The notion of economics and photography has always been fascinating to me. Of note, there wasn't much discussion regarding advertising work which is still a viable economic area, even though also impacted by both new media and the economic downturn.

The one comment regarding how healthy photography is on a world-wide basis juxtaposed against the lack of valuing photography was particularly insightful. I've seen this directly impact wedding photography to the point that it is fast becoming very difficult to make ends meet IF you are a responsible business person as well as a talented photographer.

When I think back to personal creative motivations and look at those photographers who's work stirred me to strive, it never was about the money ... it never even entered my mind to measure them by anything other than the images they made. In fact, I didn't make the distinction of professional or enthusiasts, although many probably would be considered professionals.

IMO, one of the main difference between the past, now, and the future is the proliferation of images on an unprecedented scale. On one hand, the access to disseminating images instantly has opened up vast new reserves of social comment and creates an unstoppable force for social reform and is a tool against repression. Information will set you free ... or get you killed.

However, unlike the past, there is very little intelligent editing ... in past, the works were published or disseminated by professional individuals who challenged purpose, instilled striving, found hidden treasures, and guided wandering talents. Now, it is a free-for-all that creates a visual cacophony of direct contact with the viewing audience at large ... most of whom have none of those skills.

Stefan, if you could ... please elaborate on your last sentence. Are you saying the photographer should or shouldn't be empathetic with their subject?

IMO, if that's the subject you meant ... then I feel it is imperative to be connected to the subject in some emotional manner. Of course if it is photojournalism, I don't know what the rules of engagement are for that profession ... but otherwise, it is the emotional content that segregates a photographer from a snap-shooter ... because it sure the hell isn't any technical aspect anymore.

-Marc

I gotta think about this more.

Stefan Steib

Marc

to photograph anything always involves you, it´s just the question if this is a projection of your thoughts or an implication of the happenings that lead to make you take a picture, active or passive.
If you are a war photographer, like James Nachtwey sooner or later you will be involved, or you are no human. To see all this and not react is probably not possible. It will lead you to go beyond photography and act-stand up:

James Nachtwey fights XDR-TB | Video on TED.com

on the other side I believe it is not possible to make wedding photography the same way. In the US and also Europe, but even more in Asia the professional setup will lead the bride and groom and the wedding event as a part of the expected output, the professional portfolio that shall be met.
A personal relationship, besides a good briefing of who is who and the timetable, may even be a hindrance, because your personal feelings for "friends" may get into the way of the performance they may expect.

here is an interesting trend in India (it also exists in other countries but I have not found this expressed more clear than here ):

Best wedding photographers India, Wedding Photographer India | Sanjay Austa

Same thing for fashion photography, sure the model and the photographer interact, but the vision comes from the Photographer, the model is a projection of the idea you have. Again friendship or even a personal relationship may even be a hindrance.

Nachtwey says - we are witnesses and have to give testimony.
A directing photographer will probably change the look of the wedding by his interaction and the fashion photographer Definitely does direct the game.

read what Peter Lindberg says on his website
PETER LINDBERGH

"....Creativity is the desire to express ourselves. To formulate these expressions, we have to draw from our reservoir of experience, dreams, desires and experimentation and mix together what was, what is, and what could be... I don't think you can learn it, it is rather something that evolves. Your perception of everything in your life fills up this reservoir.

Some people are drawn to create and express themselves, others are drawn to reflect, to analyze. But in the end, they all could be creative if they had the desire to explore the way in which they are integrated in the world of their experiences. Because creativity is really a rebirth, a true tone we feel for ourselves and for our world. Then our work becomes a real part of who we are. Maybe all this is a question of how deep we are willing to go..."

So - it´s a question of what you want to do.........

regards
Stefan

fotografz

Marc

to photograph anything always involves you, it´s just the question if this is a projection of your thoughts or an implication of the happenings that lead to make you take a picture, active or passive.
If you are a war photographer, like James Nachtwey sooner or later you will be involved, or you are no human. To see all this and not react is probably not possible. It will lead you to go beyond photography and act-stand up:

James Nachtwey fights XDR-TB | Video on TED.com

on the other side I believe it is not possible to make wedding photography the same way. In the US and also Europe, but even more in Asia the professional setup will lead the bride and groom and the wedding event as a part of the expected output, the professional portfolio that shall be met.
A personal relationship, besides a good briefing of who is who and the timetable, may even be a hindrance, because your personal feelings for "friends" may get into the way of the performance they may expect.

here is an interesting trend in India (it also exists in other countries but I have not found this expressed more clear than here ):

Best wedding photographers India, Wedding Photographer India | Sanjay Austa

Same thing for fashion photography, sure the model and the photographer interact, but the vision comes from the Photographer, the model is a projection of the idea you have. Again friendship or even a personal relationship may even be a hindrance.

Nachtwey says - we are witnesses and have to give testimony.
A directing photographer will probably change the look of the wedding by his interaction and the fashion photographer Definitely does direct the game.

read what Peter Lindberg says on his website
PETER LINDBERGH

"....Creativity is the desire to express ourselves. To formulate these expressions, we have to draw from our reservoir of experience, dreams, desires and experimentation and mix together what was, what is, and what could be... I don't think you can learn it, it is rather something that evolves. Your perception of everything in your life fills up this reservoir.

Some people are drawn to create and express themselves, others are drawn to reflect, to analyze. But in the end, they all could be creative if they had the desire to explore the way in which they are integrated in the world of their experiences. Because creativity is really a rebirth, a true tone we feel for ourselves and for our world. Then our work becomes a real part of who we are. Maybe all this is a question of how deep we are willing to go..."

So - it´s a question of what you want to do.........

regards
Stefan
It is interesting that Nachtwey brings to light a frightening subject conspicuously absent from any mainstream communication avenue that I know of. Yet, the story feels incomplete, we don't know what the World Health Organizations are doing (if anything), and no course of action is suggested ... leaving the individual to observe and then do what? Probably click off and go watch one of the House-Wife train-wreaks to further deaden their responses. Not only has a disease become resistant, so has the human reaction to it. Frankly, this may be because the proliferation of communication regarding serious world-wide plights has become over-whelming at a time when many are struggling to maintain their own quality of life. It'll probably take an out-break in Paris, London, Berlin or NYC to get people's attention. So, Nachtwey is quite revealing when asking how to make this all work in a digital age.

Regarding wedding work ... thanks for the blog/article. I think you may have a somewhat narrow view of such work and its evolution ... at least in the West, and specifically in England and the USA. While each geographical area has its own customs, the candid, non-directed documentation of weddings has long been a mainstay approach ... with a key demarkation point being Denis Reggie's candid image of John Kennedy Jr. and Carolyn Bessette exiting from the little church on Cumberland Island that became a sensation. This evolved to where there are many who do not do any structured or directed shots, or very few. That very popular trend lead to the on-slaught of amateur shooters armed with digital Rebels and some limited forum/seminar based education ... week-end warriors, Uncle Bob's, and the Craig's List "Earl Sheib" shooters ... I'll paint any car any color for $99.95 ... or shoot any wedding for $499.95. You get what you pay for has apparently fallen on deaf ears. Which goes to the point I made in agreement with the video interview ... that photography while alive and well, has become de-valued ... even photography that does have enormous social value ... like Nachtwey's.

IMO, photography is coming full circle. It is shifting back to a much more personal form of expression such as that produced by those who we now deem "historically famous". What is missing, is the sorting out and directional aspects of the cacophony. "I know what I like" is actually "I like what I know" ... and as far as the general public is concerned, that isn't much. Art, and art history is becoming extinct in educational venues ... which IMO, is part of the desensitizing of the human existence.

In contrast, I grew up a dummy surrounded by geniuses. A melting pot of ethnic and cultural diversity where Chess was the main form of street combat, book collecting the main hobby, and music tastes ran to Carl Orff's Carmina Burana, Stravinsky, and refrain's played on the Japnese Koto by my best friend's mother. My own Mother was an artist, so it had to be really good to make the refrigerator door. Mind you, this was not a privileged life, it was a blue collar neighborhood in West Detroit.

These experiences instilled a sense of responsibility to one's intelligence and talents. Unlike my artistic mom, my father was a very practical man and suggested I forego idealism and make some money ... then do what-ever you want, because in our society, money talks and bullshyt walks. I applied that advice and made my fortune in the Advertising world by out creating the next person.

So I arrived at that point my Dad suggested ... I can do what I want now.

Which goes to the quote in the last line of your post ... "It's a question of what you want to do."

Good question.

-Marc

Stefan Steib

I have been to the Interfoto in Shanghai 2010. On the second floor there was a wedding photography fair which was drawing much more attention than the Interfoto. If you would see what happens there you would probably sit down flat on your back. It´s the total metareality, the photographer deliver to the customer a full fake of anything you want to buy. From clothing ,location connected with the wedding planning, food, musik, accomodation and even wedding travel with shootings in Switzerland or wherever you want, Albums, videos(on nearly hollywood level !!!!) - this is CRAZY ! People spend a fortune for this and a whole industry obviously makes a nice living from this.

I watch a trend of this coming into Germany also-most interesting that in the face of the economy crisis suddenly money is not a question anymore. People spend this and they want this. I know about the candid stuff but actually in all portfolios of the more expensive photographers also in the states it seems to me this is more or less the "Atmo" that makes the shootings filler, whereas the setup shots are what the customers are looking for.

And to the photographic decision: I have forgotten some Photography , probably the bravest and most important one : All the people amateur or Pro who work in dictatorships like China , Syria or North Korea where taking a picture may get you into jail for years or even cost your life.

Whoever decides to do this, has my deepest respect. I´m not brave enough to do this. I cannot even imagine what a feeling this must be to know you may risk your (and maybe even your families)life for documentating injustice and brutality to show it to the world.

Regards
Stefan