The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ160 upgrade

Don Libby

Just a real fast update here. I've had the back for less than 60 minutes and have tried it out with the WRS. Single word to describe the experience is Perfect. I'll be going out later today for more indepth testing however so far so good and well worth the upgrade.

Don

Don Libby

Something I've picked up and I'm not too certain I've seen it before however the IQ felt larger in my hand than the P65+. And it is. While the Plus Backs have a slight angle from the sensor back to the LCD screen the IQ doesn't. The IQ is more "boxy".

The jury is out on the battery compartment and will stay that way until I'm shooting in the winter. I found I could change batteries with my gloves on however I don't see me doing that with the IQ as there's now 2-small catches I'll need to negotiate (one-on the cover the other is the batter latch). All in all minor.

I've played with the screen and double tapping to check focus and like it, also the focus mask. Plan on going out in the morning to really kick the tires.

Don

Don Libby

While I haven't had much time to get used to the IQ I have noticed/decided on changing some of my capture workflow while using the WRS.

First thing is the battery compartment. If I kept setting the camera up the same way as before I'd have to remove the camera off the tripod to fully access the compartment. I found by turning the camera 180 degrees on the head allows me better access. I'm still slightly concerned about opening the cover with gloves but that will have to wait. I've also concluded this is a small price to pay.

The second change is due to the power consumption. If I keep shooting on zero latency I run through batteries too fast therefore I've decided to return to using my Kapture Group One Shot Cable. It looks like Phase has a cable similar to the Kapture and am trying to track down cost and availability.

Seeing as how the sensor and resolution is the same as the P65 there's no surprises. The great addition in getting this back is the screen and ability access much more information than what was available on a Plus Back.

Still very pleased with the lateral upgrade. Guy, your back has found a good home. :salute:

Don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Don I had no batteries issues going zero latency. Actually much better power consumption on the IQ. I had 5 batteries and never went past 2 in a day. One trick was power off after shooting than power on when setup for next shot. I just made it a habit of powering off more often . Plus it cools the back down but certainly better battery life.

jlm

Workshop Member
"One trick was power off after shooting than power on when setup for next shot. I just made it a habit of powering off more often . Plus it cools the back down"

somehow set my back to stay on for 2hrs! without realizing it. finished shooting for awhile and stuck it in the think-tank bag, ended up not shooting anymore. got back to my studio an hour later, back and most of the bag contents were 87 degrees. should have stuck a burrito in there as well

re-set auto turn off to 5 minutes