The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ160 upgrade

Don Libby

Just closed the deal on upgrading my P65+ to a IQ160. The great part of this is that the IQ160 used to be Guy's. It had to travel to Atlanta GA in order to end up less than 100 miles from where it started. :clap:

Don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I need to start autographing my stuff. Collectors items. LOL

I will say it is so nice to see my gear in the hands of other forum members. Don called me to tell me , I told him that back is used to shooting great stuff. So now in his very capable hands the tradition continues. LOL

Happy shooting Don

Don Libby

Thanks Guy. Now I understand why I've been craving garlic recently....:salute:

I'll be using it later this year as I shoot another 60-days in Jackson Hole.

Don

gazwas

Why the upgrade so soon Don as I thought you were smitten with the P65+ and you'd not long upgraded from the P45+?

Don Libby

I'm still smitten with the sensor. Understand this was fast however the IQ is just much better suited for use on a tech camera which is my primary landscape tool.

Don

gazwas

I keep hearing this but I've yet to see proof of this especially seeing yours and others work with the P45/65 backs.

Is it the focus check/100% zoom you find attractive or some other feature?

Don Libby

Upgrading wasn't an easy decision. Actually that's only partially correct.

I've wanted an IQ back since I first saw it and then even more last year in Phoenix. I remember being with Guy, Dave and Doug while Guy tried out the 180 and just fell in lust with the back. It seemed then and it still does that this was a back that was meant to be on a tech camera, any tech camera. The roll and pitch, the finger tap, the focus mask and you can't forget the sports bar size screen. I was still using my P45+ and thought I was getting good image files. I also remember thinking I'd wait till the bugs were caught and fixed before upgrading. Then I figured I'd grab a P65 when they came on the upgrade market, which I did.

The change in files from the P45+ and the P65+ were to be staggering. Not only was I now shooting a higher resolution and full frame the difference between sensors were readily apparent. The day after I had the P65 I still knew I was going to get an IQ. As much as I'd like to get an 180 that feeling has slipped by the wayside as I love the lenses I use and don't want to loose them. I also felt there was that much of a difference between what a P65+ and IQ160 can offer that when the time was right I'd make the move. In a way I'm surprised it took as long as it did. In the end it took 13-months.

Ed Cooley and I had a short conversation earlier this year in the Florida swamps and we both think I got his P65+ after he upgraded to the IQ (Dave doesn't remember). During the conversation with Dave Gallagher this morning I asked who the back belonged to before and was told Guy. Two factors went into my decision, the back was owned by Guy so I knew it hadn't been abused and the other was the complete confidence I have with Dave.

I was writing this as Garth posed his question and will have to re-read it to see if I answered his question.

Don

Don Libby

I keep hearing this but I've yet to see proof of this especially seeing yours and others work with the P45/65 backs.

Is it the focus check/100% zoom you find attractive or some other feature?
Gareth - thank you for the complement regarding the P45/P65 back usage.

I've decided not to edit my previous post and answer yours instead.

I think the 2-biggest factors in my thought process was the ability to check focus with just a double tap and the mask. I understand the focus mask is not foolproof however the ability to double tap on the screen to bring it into 100% is what I believe a key feature. I remember many times standing in ankle deep water hoping that I got what I wanted and it doing so took numerous "failsafe" exposures that in the end I didn't need.

I'm looking forward to tapping the screen and actually working slightly faster with my WRS. Notice I haven't said anything about "live-view" with the simple reason I don't know enough about it to speak intelligently.

I guess the other factor is the overall size of the screen itself along with the resolution.

Don

I should have the back in my hands later next week and hope to be better able to address my feelingings.

kdphotography

You know, Don, it's not too late to drive up to Phoenix and have Guy autograph the pelican case... :ROTFL:

Hey, you have his Metz flash now too.... :p

gazwas

Thanks for the response Don.

I might have to take a second look at the IQ's. I just wish they had a better live view but I do see the attraction of the screen and 100% focus check.

Don Libby

We've got a Canon 1DsIII that has live view. Never used it and never felt the need for it. Understanding that we (Sandy & I) are landscape and nature photographers foremost we simply have never felt the undying need to use it. Same goes with medium format. Live view for me ranks right up there with being able to change the language on the back. Focus check, larger screen, double tap and sensor plus are the key elements for me.

gazwas

Really, you never use it on the Canon?

Since owning the 1Ds3 I've rarely used the viewfinder and from memory couldn't actually tell you what info is in there. Canon style live view is the number one feature I would love to have in a MFD back and would jump at the first back that offered it.

Don Libby

As anyone who knows me will tell you "I'm different". I really had forgotten about the live view on the 1DsIII until I started writing about it a couple minutes ago. Yeah it's neat but it just never fitted into my workflow.

Just because it doesn't fit my workflow doesn't mean it won't or shouldn't for others.

Don

kdphotography

And they call me an enabler. Hey Don, you should take a look at the custom work John milich "jlm" does for tech cameras... :thumbup:

jlm

Workshop Member
i tried the loupe pre-IQ, it was ugly. then the outdoors glare makes the IQ screen useless, then i tried the hoodman, (not too bad) then went for the Rodie. hanging around my neck now