The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Websites

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay folks i am in dire need to update my site and actually it should be down and buried in a big hole. I hate it. I would love to avoid hiring a web designer to redo it but i want something slick looking that i can load with images. Any suggestions

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Fluid Galleries is one that is pretty slick.

http://www.evrium.com/store/

Foliolink is another:

http://www.foliolink.com/

The best I have seen, unfortunately he isn't taking new clients:

http://www.vervelabs.com/
This is a very interesting and timely post as I am working on this exact opportunity. For all intensive purposes ,I will never make my living as a professional. I do,however, aspire to do some professional assignments ..as its the only way I know to gain access to many great venues. To do this I believe you need the credibility that a professional website can provide. From my research ...it looks like the core of the above products is the presentation of your portfolio..sort of a" myface for photographers". I visited each of these and looked at many of the samples...most display less than 100 images broken down into portfolios of 10-15 . The commercial capabilities to sell prints is interesting but obviously secondary to creating an identity and contact information. This is also different from the hosting services like Zenfolio that allow for customer specific repositories of almost unlimited capacity and links to print services. I am interested in how others view these sites and any alternatives they may have found.

MoJo

Registred Users
I've had good luck with Foliolink, very responsive customer service and they have a series of great templates.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Josef I am interested in Foliolink as well. It is however expensive when compared to say the Premium version of Zenfolio. How did you justify the cost difference..or maybe how did you find Foliolink superior to the lower cost alternatives. I can see the "Flash" but once its loaded it seems similar. Roger

Maggie O

Man do i really need to get on the stick here and redo mine
Me too, Guy.

Only instead of "redo" insert "make one."

After Mitch's comments over in the GRD/DL3 thread, I'm kinda thinking that there might be something more I could do with my photography beside decorate my own walls. No idea how to go beyond that vague notion, though.

simonclivehughes

Guy, I used iWeb for my site and I find that it's not only very easy to use and maintain, but also produces a very nice site. I've gotten quite a few compliments on mine already.

LJL

Me too, Guy.

Only instead of "redo" insert "make one."

After Mitch's comments over in the GRD/DL3 thread, I'm kinda thinking that there might be something more I could do with my photography beside decorate my own walls. No idea how to go beyond that vague notion, though.
Maggie,
Not sure how much effort you want to put into building/designing your own site, or just using templates and stuff. Also, if you or others are liking what can be done with Flash, you might want to check out some of the templates and options being offered by Bludomain.com. They have been building sites with easy back-end access for adding, deleting, rearranging, etc., plus several now have shopping carts, calendars, and other useful stuff built in for you to expand your online presence in a nice, professional looking way. They also do hosting for something like $100/yr. (I am not repping them and have no affiliation, but am looking hard at several templates for redoing my site also.)

They have mostly designed stuff for the wedding and portrait shooters, so there are lots of "client galleries" options with password protection, etc. There stuff may not be to everyone's tastes, but they do have some of the best looking Flash sites around....with the exception of very expensive custom builds, but they can do that also ;)

LJ

LJL

Thanks, LJ; I'll have a look.

I gotta find a way to pay for that M8 upgrade.
Maggie,
I am still scratching my head wondering why we should be paying for that kind of "upgrade" :eek:

Do give the Bludomain option a look. I think they are doing some pretty slick stuff. You cannot do much if any modification to some things, but there are so many options that can be turned on and off that it does make them interesting. Some templates allow you to change background color for each image or for a gallery. Others have output for both Flash and HTML. Lots of interesting options. Would like your impressions after you have had a look.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
You should do a website Maggie you certainly have some art worth buying. You have a good eye and i don't say that often.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Thank you, Guy! Any tips on how to get a portfolio going on the web?
Maggie You might want to look at Zenfolio they keep adding features and its cheap to get started $25 with upgrades to $40 then $100. I am using it to work on my portfolio. You can create groups/collections etc and share them in a nice way. My biggest issue is editing..how to get a collection down to say 15 images for each subject. then if I go for say Foliolink..the images will be ready.