The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Poster of Great Cameras in the History of Photography

NotXorc

I'm looking for a poster that features pictures of some of the great milestone cameras in history. Kodak Brownie, Rollei TLR, Leica RF, Nikon F, D1, etc.

This poster would be displayed in a photography classroom and might serve as a conversation starter regarding the arc of camera development and usage. Some casual internet searches have not turned up anything promising, so if you've seen a product of this description on sale, please do post a link.

Thanks in advance!

Shashin

Don't forget the Minolta Talker--the first talking camera.

You might not find one, but have you thought of making one? Even using PowerPoint or Publisher you could get something like that made for a classroom, although InDesign is a better way to do it.

NotXorc

I regret to say that I have no chops in InDesign - never used it.
The main thing preventing the creation of such a poster is access to photograph a great collection. Collectors usually select a theme or a particular brand, rather than going for the ones that were most significant for the market.

The other thing preventing me is lack of knowledge. I'd like someone who knows more about the history of cameras than myself to be the one responsible for choosing which to include. I'm sure I'd leave out some really important ones.

Shashin

If you do the designing, you can taylor the poster to your needs. Basically you show the camera type you want to refer to as examples. No poster is inclusive, so I would not worry about leaving things out. And to be honest, there are very few truly innovative designs you need to find.

As far as images, an internet search will turn up all the images you need. Since you are using this for educational purposes inside a class, it would be covered by fair use--I would credit the photographs out of courtesy.

I am sure you can find a history of cameras online. You could also get a copy of A World History of Photography that talks about the development of cameras. You could also check the Focal Encyclopedia of Photography that has a long section on camera types. You could even scan the image out of there.

NotXorc

Perhaps another summer I will take the time to create such a resource. Those are some excellent books you have suggested for inspiration! …have to add those to my wish list.

At this point I am on the countdown for my preparations and am still very open to purchasing a commercial product.