The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

BANKER1

"This is the best technology in the best designed camera"
"Everybody at the show has said how much they love it. You are the first person to speak negatively about it. Every. Other. Person. Loves. It. "
"We have professional Hasselblad shooters - world famous photographers - lining up to put their name behind this when it launches."
"Every Hasselblad owner we have spoken to says they cannot wait to buy this camera. "
" We have 6 people in R&D working just on the Hasselblad firmware for this camera. "
" It is a definite possibility that the firmware will automatically correct for chromatic aberrations and other lens defects. "
So, they are not only morons for bringing out this monstrosity, they are liars too. For the life of me, I cannot understand why they can put out that kind of rubbish with a straight face.

Greg

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Frankly, I am surprised at all the surprise over this. What conclusion could one arrive at when a team of investment bankers purchases a company that served a relatively minuscule market, other than they planned to utilize the brand to make dozens of lesser products for much larger markets?

Seriously, I suspect you'll have Hasselblad wrist watches, alarm clocks, binoculars and telescopes in the 2012 Sharper Image holiday catalog. Maybe even Hasselblad stadium seats and ice-chests too. And probably Hasselblad golf towels and keychain lights.

pophoto

I have an idea, Sony should just rebody the Lunar in 2013, call it the "7" and call it a day.

Oh a new thought has come to mind, Sony and Olympus just struck a deal, so in Photokina 2014, Haaselblad will join MFT, rebody the new EM5 and charge whatever they will with inflation, and announce the arrival of Solar, BAM!

Chris Giles

Sony: 'Yes you may use out sensor tech'

Hasselblad: 'How much will it cost us to do so'?

Sony: 'Before we can save you we must first embarrass you'

Hasselblad: 'Ok cool, where do you want me to drop my pants and bend over'?

pophoto

Sony: hey you guys should consider using our sensor technology

Hass: but we make medium format cameras, wouldn't we end up looking like a sell out and embarrass ourselves in the process?

Sony: Not if you rebadge our already successful, top of the range mirror less camera and spice it up!

Hass: we have the perfect design intern for this :)

Swissblad

Frankly, I am surprised at all the surprise over this. What conclusion could one arrive at when a team of investment bankers purchases a company that served a relatively minuscule market, other than they planned to utilize the brand to make dozens of lesser products for much larger markets?

Seriously, I suspect you'll have Hasselblad wrist watches, alarm clocks, binoculars and telescopes in the 2012 Sharper Image holiday catalog. Maybe even Hasselblad stadium seats and ice-chests too. And probably Hasselblad golf towels and keychain lights.
Well seeing as the new business manager worked for DeLonghi, I want a camera that pours coffee and makes toast at the same time.... :LOL:

BANKER1

Jack,

You have a point, but you'd think they would try to milk the best part out of the company before flushing it down the toilet on the very first go-around.

Greg

Shashin

Personally, I think Hasselblad was embarrassed by the idea from the beginning. Why else would they hide the camera under so much metal, wood, and leather to disguise it?

BANKER1

That's a good one Shashin.

After owning many Hassy cameras for decades including an H4D60, I think I'm going to go with the Leica M. I doubt Hassy can ever win back my business. Very sad. In my naivete I expected a lot more from Hasselblad. Actually, I was hoping for a rangefinder from Hassy that was between full frame 35 and MFD that would use existing Hassy lenses. I have never owned a Leica, but have admired them for a long time.

Greg

etrigan63

"Hasselblad - the Chef Boyardee of Photography"

This entire farce has rekindled my interest in the Leica M. Now I have to figure out how to get enough money to afford one...:(

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Take this from their defense;

"For example, the camera's body is made of aluminum. It takes five hours to machine this down."
The NEX 5 and NEX 7 bodies are made from Magnesium Alloy. Why would they require a new body to be machined from aluminum?

Lance

V

Vivek

The NEX 5 and NEX 7 bodies are made from Magnesium Alloy. Why would they require a new body to be machined from aluminum?

Lance
Yes, the NEX-5/7 bodies are made of Magnesium alloy but they are moulded (perhaps takes less than 1s to do it). Something machined from a single block of aluminum (better heat conductor than that Magnesium alloy and unbreakable) would take a longer time.

Can we expect a Lunar 5 as well? :watch:

Stefan Steib

There, I fixed it for you Hasselblad, and it only took me an hour. You're welcome. I never thought I'd say it, but a reworked X-Pro 1 is looking pretty damn good right about now.

View attachment 63633

This is about what I thought they would do- not the pano version but close to this. With a 2500-3000€ pricetag and some internal improvements (24,3 MPix FF sensor instead of the 16 and a dedicated Hasselblad Firmware, Raw support in Phocus and some nice accessories and maybe 2 or 3 dedicated highly opened Lenses like a 1,4/35mm, a 1,2/55 and a 1,4/90mm.

Regards
Stefan

V

Vivek

Lunar and Nex7 side by side

image from dpreview hasselblad stand report

How do you defend this????
The "Lunar" looks like it will be difficult to tilt the LCD. Not only ugly and a daylight robbery but down right dysfunctional!