The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Then there is the HABBLESAD

Habblesad

Still, it'll probably sell like hot cakes in China.

ho hum.
20 years ago, maybe. The young, rich Chinese of today are much better informed about technology and international trends. Leica sells well in Asia because it's an established luxury product with known qualities and value for money compared to more fashionable gadgets that lose their value fast.

But there are exceptions, and Asia including the Middle East are probably the only markets where the Lunar will have a chance at all.

jonoslack

I think they are dead wrong on this.

The Chinese may have $, but they are not stupid.
No, of course the Chinese are not stupid, but this is (surely) a matter of taste, and they have very different taste and seem to like what we would call 'bling' (as do a number of other cultures).

Seems to me that it will sit nicely on the seat of your long wheelbase BMW 7 series with the wooden dash and blonde leather seats.

Personally, I think the camera is disgusting - but then it's not aimed at me.

I'm sure there will be nobody around here singing it's praises, either now or later, but I'm not so certain that it won't sell!

Good Luck To 'em I say - if Hassleblad make a profit on it there will be more for R&D for new cameras, and that must be a good thing.

Stuart Richardson

Also, in terms of leveraging your "Lunar legacy", take a tip from Omega. They may have gone off the deep end with some of their lunar commemoratives, but the watch that most people care the most about is the actual watch that was on the moon -- the Speedmaster Professional. Still produced, and not significantly changed from the original watch that was on the moon. The reason it was on the moon was that it was the best, most durable and reliable watch that NASA could find. I am sure the Hasselblad was chosen for the same reason. The Hasselblad "Lunar" camera of today would be most suitable for supplemental solid fuel for the boosters. If you have the cajones to name a camera the "Lunar", at least make it tie in with the legacy somehow. There is literally not a single even tenuous connection between this camera and the camera on the moon, not even the company that produced it (and I am not even thinking Sony here...Hasselblad has changed hands several times and is no longer the company that made the lunar cameras). And yes, I have an axe to grind, as I love the brand. I have an Xpan II, a 203FE and full kit and an X5 scanner. And boy, am I pissed, as in the last few years I have had complete **** service from Hasselblad corporate (you can't even call them...they refer you to your country distributor...a problem in a country where the distributor is a single camera store who already said they can't help you), several hundred euro charges for "preventative maintenance" on a warranty repair for a scanner less than a year old, and now the company is basically driving the only thing good about the company off a cliff -- the actual quality of the products.
I am so so so so glad I went with the Leica S2 instead of an H series camera. I certainly dodged a bullet there.

V

Vivek

The Hasselblad "Lunar" camera of today would be most suitable for supplemental solid fuel for the boosters.
Unfortunately, it won't do. Boosters use a polymer fuel (plastic, dismissed by a HB exec). Even there, "smart" materials are used.

Comparing this utter crap to anything useful (or useless) is futile, I am afraid.

Paul Spinnler

If you check out Luca's profile on LinkedIn you will see that prior to completely destroying the Hasselblad brand he worked in kitchen appliances and tripods ...

IsakBergwall

The Dslr sketch in that digifoto link was actually not so bad! Too bad it is just a skin for the a99?

We have a saying in Sweden that goes "att styla en volvo är som att sminka en gris" and it translates to "to style up a volvo is like putting make up on a pig" and this image sums up pretty well what hasselblad has done with the Lunar.

Paul Spinnler

Also, in terms of leveraging your "Lunar legacy", take a tip from Omega. They may have gone off the deep end with some of their lunar commemoratives, but the watch that most people care the most about is the actual watch that was on the moon -- the Speedmaster Professional. Still produced, and not significantly changed from the original watch that was on the moon. The reason it was on the moon was that it was the best, most durable and reliable watch that NASA could find. I am sure the Hasselblad was chosen for the same reason. The Hasselblad "Lunar" camera of today would be most suitable for supplemental solid fuel for the boosters. If you have the cajones to name a camera the "Lunar", at least make it tie in with the legacy somehow. There is literally not a single even tenuous connection between this camera and the camera on the moon, not even the company that produced it (and I am not even thinking Sony here...Hasselblad has changed hands several times and is no longer the company that made the lunar cameras). And yes, I have an axe to grind, as I love the brand. I have an Xpan II, a 203FE and full kit and an X5 scanner. And boy, am I pissed, as in the last few years I have had complete **** service from Hasselblad corporate (you can't even call them...they refer you to your country distributor...a problem in a country where the distributor is a single camera store who already said they can't help you), several hundred euro charges for "preventative maintenance" on a warranty repair for a scanner less than a year old, and now the company is basically driving the only thing good about the company off a cliff -- the actual quality of the products.
I am so so so so glad I went with the Leica S2 instead of an H series camera. I certainly dodged a bullet there.
Well said! I was finished with Hasselblad after I ordered a H4D-60 that wouldn't materialize even after a year and in the end I just went for Leaf. I cannt count how many times I was assured by Hasselblad that the camera would come in a matter of weeks. It was a complete joke and possibly the worst customer experience I've ever had. They were so good at one point in time but sadly lost it. With a former kitchen appliances guy rebranding 1.1k cameras for 6.5k ... all hope is lost, it seems.

People react so emotionally now because it's just sad to see one of the last standing venerable camera brands dismantle itself in such a disgracious manner. Arguing that a 300 USD aluminium shell and wooden handgrips completely eat up their margin of a few 1000 USD is just an insult to the intelligence of their customer base even if you factor in a nice Danish guy gluing the lizard leather to the grip for 40 USD/h wage. C'mon.

Haha, and producing a wide-angle that doesn't cover full-frame MFD sensors but some crop factors introduced by sensor designs 4-5 years ago ...

Shashin

This is really a unique event. How many times in history does every employee in a company go through a mid-life crisis all at the same time?

gerald.d

"This is the best technology in the best designed camera"
"Everybody at the show has said how much they love it. You are the first person to speak negatively about it. Every. Other. Person. Loves. It. "
"We have professional Hasselblad shooters - world famous photographers - lining up to put their name behind this when it launches."
"Every Hasselblad owner we have spoken to says they cannot wait to buy this camera. "
" We have 6 people in R&D working just on the Hasselblad firmware for this camera. "
" It is a definite possibility that the firmware will automatically correct for chromatic aberrations and other lens defects. "

gerald.d

For those not at Photokina, I should point out that this camera is far, far worse in the flesh than it is in photos.

V

Vivek

" It is a definite possibility that the firmware will automatically correct for chromatic aberrations and other lens defects. "
NEX-7 has automatic CA corrections, Distortion corrections, Light fall off corrections.

Sony already worked it out for me.

Like many, I can not type what I feel about these morons.

pophoto

If they are riding this one out until April 1st 2013, that's still 7 more months to go!
Will they then just say Lunacy?

gerald.d

Yes. But "the firmware will be re-written by Hasselblad, so you will get better images shooting with the Lunar than you can with the Sony."

Ben Rubinstein

Knowing Sony, won't they have the Nex 7n or whatever out before this uglyblad even hits the shelf? They're upgrading the nex line every year at the moment.

V

Vivek

An upgrade is already announced in a NEX-6. Better corner performances (vs 7), better AF (vs 7), WiFi, etc.

Even a better hotshoe!

All for less than the price of a 7!!!

jonoslack

NEX-7 has automatic CA corrections, Distortion corrections, Light fall off corrections.

Sony already worked it out for me.

Like many, I can not type what I feel about these morons.
Ah yes . . . but 6 R&D people are going to rewrite it all and . . . . improve it:eek::facesmack::ROTFL: