The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

Quentin_Bargate

I'm not missing the point - I completely understand we aren't the target market, and like you, I also suspect that it'll sell in bucket loads in some places (and that the profit margin will be large enough to make it very worthwhile).

But it won't help with sales of MF cameras (absolutely to the contrary), and as Marc suggests, it seems very unlikely that any financial returns will be ploughed back into high end technical products.
Well frankly none of us have a clue because its unchartered territory for Hasselblad, and of course it won't help the sale of MF cameras, but if it helps Hasselblad's finances that should be a good thing.

gazwas

but if it helps Hasselblad's finances that should be a good thing.
Hasselblad's shareholders finances..... maybe?

Imagine that shareholder meeting....... "we've just made a packet from our over price Looney fashion accessorcam and we're going to pump it all back into building an H6D MF camera that will keep the members of getdpi.com happy!."

For the moment at least, hasselblad will not be burned on the streets in China unlike japanese goods. Ironic considering all the wood on those Lunars.

pophoto

No, of course the Chinese are not stupid, but this is (surely) a matter of taste, and they have very different taste and seem to like what we would call 'bling' (as do a number of other cultures).

Seems to me that it will sit nicely on the seat of your long wheelbase BMW 7 series with the wooden dash and blonde leather seats.

Personally, I think the camera is disgusting - but then it's not aimed at me.

I'm sure there will be nobody around here singing it's praises, either now or later, but I'm not so certain that it won't sell!

Good Luck To 'em I say - if Hassleblad make a profit on it there will be more for R&D for new cameras, and that must be a good thing.
Ha, I may like BMWs with wooden dashes, but I have to agree with you the camera looks disgusting. I think both Eastern and western cultures we can find people with good and bad taste, but I certainly won't rule out that nobody will buy it. If I am not mistaken, it was designed in Sweden, so maybe Swedes like this, at least the designing nation if i am indeed mistaken, even then it won't be everyone!

PeterA

None of my old school Hasselblad gear makes pictures any worse or better after this lunatic announcement - funny that - eh?

In their rush to sell units at $50K pa. MF digi back makers never thought that their stoopid customers would wise up - they have and their market is dead and gone.

The Lunatic camera at least won't cost the stoopid buyer tens of thousands of dollars every 18 months....

*Voice of experience talking here;)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Well frankly none of us have a clue because its unchartered territory for Hasselblad, and of course it won't help the sale of MF cameras, but if it helps Hasselblad's finances that should be a good thing.
But they have tried something similar before. After 2 years, they have still not managed to sell the 499 H4D-40 Ferrari Edition cameras, and relatively speaking, at $30,000 those where cheap and only 50% over the list price of a normal H4D. Then there's the stainless steel version for $15,995 body only, also from two years ago, 100 copies that aren't sold either.

gazwas

No doubt in the spirit of good taste, Hasselblad will release the "endangered" range especially for those emerging markets........ featuring bespoke beautifully crafted hand grips made from the spinal bone of the Humpback Whale.

Can't wait.

IsakBergwall

Ha, I may like BMWs with wooden dashes, but I have to agree with you the camera looks disgusting. I think both Eastern and western cultures we can find people with good and bad taste, but I certainly won't rule out that nobody will buy it. If I am not mistaken, it was designed in Sweden, so maybe Swedes like this, at least the designing nation if i am indeed mistaken, even then it won't be everyone!
Lol no! As a swede I object that sir!

The core essence of scandinavian design is minimalistic simplicity and thoughtfulness..

it is not "lets throw on every expensive material we can think of and call it design, and while we are at it lets make it so ugly we make people cry just by standing next to it out of shame for the future of the human race.." or something like that