The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Lunar : they go defensive

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
wrt to the car destruction, I do understand the frustration but I really don't understand the show boating approach to destroying your own property to make a point. I had an exotic sports car that spectacularly blew up it's headers and was off the road for 8+ weeks waiting for replacements. I threatened to attend my national club event with the car on a flat bed truck which seemed to get the manufacturer's rep & my dealer to 'suddenly' find parts for me and get it back on the road. However, I can't possibly imagine destroying your own car and effectively pissing away the money tied up in. That's just plain stupid in my book.

Speaking of stupid, back to the Lunar marketing strategy ... :D

Btw, I also tend to agree with Jono that Hasselblad probably will find a way to make some money on this deal but at the cost of their credibility amongst true photographers and long term clients. It seems very sad.

fotografz

The more appropriate phrase is "Spinning in his grave" ... since I suspect this would have absolutely outraged Victor, and all of these hot shots would have been looking for new jobs.

This is what happens when either the accountants or the marketing people get to much power and upset the balance. In this case it looks like the bean counters and the marketing clowns are in cahoots.

Nothing could be worse than what they are doing ... the only thing worse would be if succeeds :eek:

- Marc

fotografz

All this talk of crushing reminds me of the claymation skits for " Mr Bill" ...

" Oh no Mr. Bill, not my new Lunar ... "

- Marc

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
There was a car destruction event here in Thailand around ten years ago, an owner who wasn't happy with his Honda CR-V and the fact that Honda wouldn't replace his problematic car. It was broadcasted live on TV, and at the time, Honda "owned" the local SUV market with a market share of over 90%. After the event, sales plummeted and they were left with somewhere between 10 and 20%.

There were speculations that a competitor was "helping" with publicity around the project and Toyota as well as Isuzu launched competing models less than a year later. Toyota has been the market leader ever since with their highly successful Fortuner model.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nothing could be worse than what they are doing ... the only thing worse would be if succeeds :eek:

- Marc
There's a guy around here who makes back covers for iPhones studded with Swarovski crystals and other junk. They sell at several hundred dollars a piece, and I believe he has the choice of several Mercedes Benz cars and a Harley. He should of course buy the Lunar out of principle, to support like minded souls :D

V

Vivek

However, I can't possibly imagine destroying your own car and effectively pissing away the money tied up in.
You and I do not have that much cash to show the frustration and disgust but some do and they are in China. ;)

PeterA

I don't think they will be able to correct it. It's not their first mistake:
When Hasselblad changed their H-series cameras into a proprietary system, closing other back suppliers out, it was an understandable, although heavily critisised decision. But they didn't only lock others out. They made a system so complicated that for one who looks for a second hand camera and back, finding out which camera is compatible with which backs and lenses is much more complicated than figuring out relations between other vendors that aren't really connected in any formal way.

As one who is on my way into digital MF, Hasselblad was the brand I looked at first, but the confusion made me skeptical. Then came Lunar, and I just had to conclude that Hasselblad is a company out of touch with their potential customers and probably some existing ones as well. Not only would I never buy a Lunar, but I won't buy into any of their systems (unless I get it very cheap), simply because I fear similar customer-unfriendly decisions coming up in the future as well.

Hey... their most attractive model to many (most?) potential buyers, the H4X, is only available if you are willing to trash an existing H1 or H2. It's like buying methadone: You have to prove that you're a heroin addict first :loco:

Why go with a company who is diverting into silly luxury gadgets when there are dedicated suppliers like P1, Mamiya and DHW around? I think most of those participating on this forum will agree that expensive gear is much more than what's in the box when you open it. Even Leica during their worst Limited Edition years showed a firm dedication to their heritage and concentrated on cameras that they had actually made themselves and made well. Hasselblad haven't even been able to sell the very limited numbers (100 and 500 if I remember correctly) of their Ferrari and Stainless Steel editions, even if those don't cost much more than a normal Hassy. And now they are going to sell a 2 year old Sony for 6 or 7 times it's initial value?

Had they known anything whatsoever about disaster management, they would have pulled the thing after Photokina, but I think they still see a profit potential. I wouldn't be surprised if they can sell enough of it to make it pay as an isolated case, but their reputation as a camera supplier to professionals and serious amateurs is probably damaged beyond repair. Then the remaining question is: Will the value of the brand name last long enough for the owners to get their investment back. The way this seems to be going, I hope not. They don't deserve it.

Hopefully, there are some skilled enthusiasts left at their offices up north who can pick up the wreckage when the ship sinks, like DHW did with Rollei. It would indeed be sad to see one of the greatest camera brands go under this way.
The whole industry has been undergoing forced changes for a few years now - as demand for its product shrinks. Niche manufacturers making truly excellent products may survive - because of their unique characteristics - be what they may. There probably isn't enough room for the number of competitors and brands out there now.

I would bet on Phase One to win the war - I just hope the war doesn't take out all makers.

Shashin

If you are not sure what to wear with your Lunar, here's a hint:

And she probably has Instagram on her iPhone and is reviewing those pictures now.

But if you think about it, the Lunar is a great deal. I think this is the first Hasselblad cheaper than a Leica M.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Poster at the dpr forum today about the Lunar:

"I think Hasselblad are to be commended. This is the first time that I can recall the DPR comments section showing anything like a consensus."

That kind of says it all :ROTFL:

One more:

"I really like this, but I'm going to wait until the end of the year before buying...their website says they will start producing custom built versions. I'm going to ask them to build me a bespoke version without the wooden grip but with Sony written on it. That way it will fool theives into thinking it isn't worth stealing."

Last edited:

Stefan Steib

Just to remember - Italian design is actually something very valuable - "IF" somebody uses it for the right stuff in the right context - like this one:

http://www.hdwallpapers.in/walls/ferrari_laferrari-wide.jpg

or that one

http://www.carautoportal.com/car-im...izione/alfa-romeo-8c-competizione-picture.jpg

or this
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-e4Lx8EPHe...ss+by+Mario+Testino+for+VOGUE+UK+MAY+2013.jpg

or here
http://www.motorrad-news.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/MV-Agusta-Rivale-800-2013-2.jpg

the term Italian design - used with this Lunar is an offense for all italian designers who are proud on their work and the heritage of this nation of bella figura..