The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Upgrade MacBook HD Issue

wjlapier

I found what I thought was a nice write up on how to upgrade your harddrive in a MacBook. I followed all instructions. Created a backup boot-able drive on my external drive. Checked to see if I could boot from it and I can--I'm typing this message from that drive. I'm using Superduper!. When I try to copy all the files from the external drive I keep getting the same message.

| 06:52:10 PM | Error | SDCopy: Error copying /private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.iTunesX.bom to /Volumes/Untitled 1/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.iTunesX.bom of type 8 due to error 5: Input/output error

Seems most folks who followed the instructions from the website had no problem. I even tried "restore" in Disk Utility and it stops with an error and doesn't say what it is. Any idea on how I can make this work on my own?

Thanks--Bill

bradhusick

Bill, instead of copying all the files from the external drive, run Superduper and pretend the external is the original drive that you want to back up, now to the new blank internal. Don't use finder copy. Make sure you allow it to fix permissions and check the box "Copy ACLs from [boot drive name]" under options.

If you have already tried this, my apologies.

wjlapier

Got it done finally. I sent the log to Shirt Pocket and they said to delete the file that was trying to be copied. After that, the backup went smoothly. On another issue, for some reason all contents in itunes had a duplicate. I manually deleted duplicates in movies and tv shows, and have done alot of it in music, but there are 100's to 1000 or more to delete. I'm happy that the new drive is installed and I don't have to drag around the external drive when watching movies or tv shows.

wjlapier

Do a Google search on this... there are easy ways to do it non-manually.

Cheers,
I did try some from a google search. One would only allow 10 deletes of the duplicates, another 30. This was their free version. If you know of one that doesn't cost too much that is reliable I'd like to know about it.