The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Dyslexic Camera

Irenaeus

Any other dyslexic minds out there? Has it made a difference to your photography?

It’s finally been sinking in to my own dyslexic brain that this isn’t just a problem in detail recognition and retention that needs to be overcome but an integral part of one’s being that needs to be appreciated in its own right ~ a difference in the way one’s brain actually functions that should be recognized, developed and rejoiced in. (For more and better in this vein, see this interview at Q&A: The Unappreciated Benefits of Dyslexia | Wired Science | Wired.com )

A great many highly creative people have dyslexic minds, minds which are not best described as defective in certain specifics but as exceptionally capable in their general ability to make creative leaps and connections. Many persons with dyslexic minds exhibit “whole brain” processing patterns that enable them to excel at contextual thinking, understand through narrative reasoning, draw conclusions from their own experience, make intuitive linkages and be able to predict unconventional pathways and outcomes in fluid situations. Many have a heightened spatial understanding as well, but it would be a mistake to look for "cookie cutter" characteristics as each person is unique.

Patton, Picasso, Edison, Einstein, Ansel Adams, Leonardo da Vinci, John Lennon, Winston Churchill and William Butler Yeats are just a few such....

SO, if YOUR minds haven’t glazed over entirely by now, I’m curious ~

Are there many (or any) of us who find themselves on familiar ground here?

Has that revealed itself in the way you make photographs or even in the gear you use?

Are there procedures that do seem to work for others but which you’ve either been unable to master or which you just cannot bring yourself to use?

Any pitfalls you’d caution about or pathways you’d celebrate?

Are you glad about your dyslexic mind? I am ~ I wouldn’t be me without it!

All the best,

Irenaeus