The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Back drop support crossbar (14' 4")

I am looking for suggestions for a material I can use as a crossbar support for a 12' wide muslin fabric background. I was using a 2" ID PVC pipe inside of a heavy duty particle board/cardboard tube, but it sags under the weight, making it almost impossible to roll up neatly. I found most plumbing and construction materials come in a maximum of 10 or 12' length. I need a 14'4" long piece of pipe or tubing to properly support this background. None of the major photo suppliers carry anything this long. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Ben Rubinstein

Lastolite make two 3' poles with a connector piece to join two together connected with a centre stand. I have two of these sets. Selling one set if you're interested. You can double those up. 4 cross poles in total with 4 light stands providing the vertical support.

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/lastolite-1150-background-support-system-up-to-6m-widths.html

Here is the 6' setup with the light stands used for vertical support though the lastolite ones are really weak, you need heavy duty light stands for a curtain of that weight.

Thanks Ben. Without actually seeing this set up it is hard to visualize how the center stand would not interfere with the fabric hanging straight down. I have brackets mounted into the ceiling that will hold a tube/pipe, using the Manfrotto 046MC Expan Drive with Metal Chain units on each end. You are correct in that this background is heavy, so I need something quite strong to avoid bending from the weight.

Even with a hole I would think that center stand would prevent the fabric from hanging flat. I am sure I can get some kind of pole, aluminum or otherwise, though it will likely be pricey.

Shashin

How about just mounting it on a 2x4 or 2x6 with the 4"/6" height vertical. It is possible to get dimensional lumber up to 16'.

I need to be able to rotate the crossbar in order to either roll up, or roll down, the background material. I think a 2x4" would not work very smoothly. I found some sectional crossbars online and have sent emails to the sellers to see if two sets could be connected in order to extend beyond what appears to be the industry standard 12' length. Won't have an answer until Monday. I expect I can order a 12' 4" long piece of aluminum pipe in a 4" diameter, but the shipping costs to get it here would probably be very high.

Shashin

If your tube continues to sags, you could clamp a 2x4 or a long length of an angle bar to the length for when you are using it and then you could still roll the background up for storage. You may not need an angle bar or wooden support for the entire length.

If you have auto poles, you may be able to support the middle section of the roll when in use. A bit of a pain, but it would not take a lot of time to setup or break down. Or you can cut some lumber to length as a support as well.

Thanks for the suggestions, but when the existing crossbar sags it is impossible to roll the background up without creating all kinds of creases and wrinkles. I think I will come up with a solution on Monday when I hear back from several different vendors.