The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just a note for all you in the NE US

jlm

Workshop Member
another load. water crested, busted doors and windows, what protection you see was trivial. The seaport area varies in height quite a bit, but all you need is a few inches above your threshold

here the crest was +8'
water level reached the tires of the car with headlights at 9pm Monday
here the crest was +8'

black car had been submerged
this suv also subereged and floating around
flotsam from shops

submerged car

Last edited:

Shashin

i'm going to post quite a few images mostly from lower manhattan, the Seaport area where i live
I suspect that is not a two-tone speckled paint job on the walls. I can only imagine the force of the water, even when moving "slowly."

jlm

Workshop Member
a few shots from the navy yard

Dugall's renovated building; under 5' or water, blasted out glass

Last edited:

Shashin

Jim, good thing that CassOne container was tied to the building with an electrical cable or you could have lost it!

What a mess.

jlm

Workshop Member
ha!

that location is about 50 ft from the edge of the pier, with about a 8" curb keeping it from floating out on the east river good thing the power plant had shut down

Shashin

Being a shipyard, are you expecting a lot of storm related repair work? I heard the Navy sent their boats out into the Atlantic before Sandy hit.

I lived in Japan for 16 years and saw the news of the tsunami while living in Maine. The interesting thing was the Maine ship building industry got a boost because they were contracted to make fishing boats--the Japanese boat building industry just couldn't meet the demand. And if you have ever seen a Japanese fishing boat, it must have been an interesting job as no Maine fishing boats resemble them.

Udo

After seeing all that destruction I wish you all fellows being effected by Sandy's devastation a rapid and smooth recovery.

Take care and all the best from the Red Sea,
Udo

weinschela

Subscriber Member
On Long Island, significant damage. Obviously the low lying south shore was really slammed. We're further north and far from the storm surge. The wind was the issue. Our block had many trees down. Some in the street. Some on houses, and some through houses. My son lives a couple of miles away and they had a tree in the front yard come down, but on the road and luckily not on the house (where the 3 year old sleeps). Power is still out (for more than 700,000 on Long Island), but we had old fashioned wired phones that worked. And we also have a weekend house 85 miles east. It lost power too, but the lines are underground and when they fixed the transmission lines it came back on late Tuesday night, so we packed up our stuff and our dog and headed east. My son's family came later yesterday and at least we are now dry and warm. We feel very lucky. So many others were not so fortunate and lost everything, some even their lives. Makes you feel very humble.

D&A

I still have family on the "Island" (South Shore) but haven't heard from them. Spent much of my younger days there too! Sounds like there was quite a lot of storm related distruction as well as the resulting hardships that often follow. As with Dave who just posted in the Nikon thread, who lives on the NJ shore and has apparently suffered considerable hardship, the one blessing is of course is when the loss is only of personal items. As difficult as a situation like that often is, I feel sadness for those who's loss is far greater as when loss of life is involved. Hope in time, all gets back to some degree of normalcy, as soon as possible for you and your family.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great to see our members checking in and seeing they are safe. If there is anything we can do let us know . We are here to at least keep your spirits up.

jlm

Workshop Member
a new crisis now is gasoline shortage due to no pumping power on most of Long island and at the storage facilities in NJ. very, very difficult to find a station open in brooklyn and manhattan

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I moved from Financial District (lower manhattan) to Upper West Side on Saturday in a prescheduled move.

What luck. My previous apartment is in the blackout and surrounded by devastation of various degrees. My new apartment was essentially unaffected. We were having beer at the local bar up to a few hours before the peak of the storm and were back at the same bar 24 hours later; no power outages, meaningful damage on the street, or other issues. My worst problem was walking 50 blocks to work (no subway service, bus service was severely congested), and frankly I needed the outdoor time after a few days of staying in from the storm.

Our owner and marketing director both live in long island and are fared far less well. A large tree was kind enough to redecorate the interior one of their living rooms. No loss of life or severe injury though, so compared to many they too were lucky. There are some horrible stories from this storm including a mother who watched her two children literally float away from after having to ditch from a car that was being submerged.

The Digital Transitions office itself never lost power and the surrounding area came through alright. We had to rely on cell phone internet until this morning when our broadband was restored.

The narrative on the late night shows is of two New Yorks - the largely unaffected north and the devastated south and waterfront. I don't see this as much of an exaggeration. My thoughts are with all those who were not as lucky as me.

Shashin

SergeiR

I moved from Financial District (lower manhattan) to Upper West Side on Saturday in a prescheduled move.

What luck. My previous apartment is in the blackout and surrounded by devastation of various degrees. My new apartment was essentially unaffected. We were having beer at the local bar up to a few hours before the peak of the storm and were back at the same bar 24 hours later; no power outages, meaningful damage on the street, or other issues. My worst problem was walking 50 blocks to work (no subway service, bus service was severely congested), and frankly I needed the outdoor time after a few days of staying in from the storm.

Our owner and marketing director both live in long island and are fared far less well. A large tree was kind enough to redecorate the interior one of their living rooms. No loss of life or severe injury though, so compared to many they too were lucky. There are some horrible stories from this storm including a mother who watched her two children literally float away from after having to ditch from a car that was being submerged.

The Digital Transitions office itself never lost power and the surrounding area came through alright. We had to rely on cell phone internet until this morning when our broadband was restored.

The narrative on the late night shows is of two New Yorks - the largely unaffected north and the devastated south and waterfront. I don't see this as much of an exaggeration. My thoughts are with all those who were not as lucky as me.
Glad to hear you and DT office are ok, Doug.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I don't know which is sadder, the effects of the storms or how we act afterwards. Compare that with hOw the Japanese behaved after the Kobe earthquake and the Tohoku tsunami.
How a small minority of us act afterwards. Our media is also very good about finding those small numbers and reporting the crap out of them. Whether this accounts for a small part of any such discrepancy or all of it I have no idea - never lived in Japan.

Shashin

How a small minority of us act afterwards. Our media is also very good about finding those small numbers and reporting the crap out of them. Whether this accounts for a small part of any such discrepancy or all of it I have no idea - never lived in Japan.
Actually, in the video said this problem was easy to find--they did not have to look hard. This kind of behavior would not been seen at all in Japan--I lived there for 16 years and was there for the Kobe earthquake and the Saron (sp?) gas attacks as well as many powerful typhoons. They know there is a disaster and everyone is in the same boat--getting angry or frustrated is not going to solve the problem and they realize that everyone in that line is in the same situation. Empathy and thinking of others is important. It is sad to see my fellow Americans act this way when so many of our neighbors and friends lost so much--shouldn't they feel a little gratitude that they weathered the storm with little if any loss and couldn't they show a little patience toward all the other suffering through the same situation? And this is not limited to NYC, the same kind of reaction seems to be reported after every disaster. Sure, this is not a majority, but it is enough. And it is still sad.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually, in the video said this problem was easy to find--they did not have to look hard. This kind of behavior would not been seen at all in Japan--I lived there for 16 years and was there for the Kobe earthquake and the Saron (sp?) gas attacks as well as many powerful typhoons. They know there is a disaster and everyone is in the same boat--getting angry or frustrated is not going to solve the problem and they realize that everyone in that line is in the same situation. Empathy and thinking of others is important. It is sad to see my fellow Americans act this way when so many of our neighbors and friends lost so much--shouldn't they feel a little gratitude that they weathered the storm with little if any loss and couldn't they show a little patience toward all the other suffering through the same situation? And this is not limited to NYC, the same kind of reaction seems to be reported after every disaster. Sure, this is not a majority, but it is enough. And it is still sad.
I don't disagree it is sad to see now on the other side of the coin when it comes to media reporting it instead of many worthwhile stories to report like helping others which rarely gets reported and there are thousands of unsung heros in this crisis helping out there community it's simply not worthy enough because of the rating the media gets. This part is even worse because its about money and advertising dollars. I would love to watch many more stories on the guy that walks up 40 flights of stairs to bring water to the elderly. But no ding bats get the air time and good folks do not. Not that they care but we as Americans care about seeing the hero's in all this. It's the inspiration and caring that I want my kids to see not someone pull a gun for a gallon of gas. **** don't get me started I'm frustrated by a lot of this media crap. I want to see news that counts. Maybe I'm crazy

What's even worse is reading and hearing political bullshit over this election during a major crisis. I'm sickened by this even more.