The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Roger Hicks Genius in Amateur Photography Nov 10th

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Seldom have I read a well argued article on 'fine art' and the likes of Gursky than Roger's apology for not being one of the 'luvvies' and enjoying fame and riches. :thumbs:

I can relate.

P.s. no sour grapes to Andreas Gursky and his ilk who make the big bucks. Creating and defining a movement vs. simply copying a style deserves total respect (I have his books myself too and appreciate his work. Ditto Stephen Shore, William Eggleston et al) I just can't stomach the work that they have to do to get recognition.

:chug:

D&A

Graham, is Roger's article on line (Amateur Photography) or only in print (which getting a copy of the magazine has been harder these past few years). I've been reading Roger's opinions and books for the longest time and he's as opinionated as ever. Sometimes I'm in agreement with him, other times not....but its never a dull moment when he posts his thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I've been reading Roger's opinions and books for the longest time and he's as opinionated as ever. Sometimes I'm in agreement with him, other times not....but its never a dull moment when he posts his thoughts.

Dave (D&A)
Ditto - I like the fact that Roger is just Roger and doesn't flow with current fashions. I like that.

I don't have a link. I get Amateur Photographer via zinio online. It'll be posted to their site (amateur photograper) in a week or so I expect.

Shashin

No, Roger follows imagined fashions of the past. I find his writing very predictable. But it is hard to comment on an article I have not read.

I will wait until this is posted on Amateur Photographer.

tjv

Gursky, Eggleston, Shore, they're all important figures in contemporary art AND photography. I haven't read the article – frankly, the argument against Gursky et al is too tired and predictable. Sometimes photographers just can't look past the end of their own noses...

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have to say that I haven't read it either but Hicks to be is one of the most profoundly irritating journalists I know of: I have been avoiding his endpiece in Amateur Photography for quite a while now. You can tell from the photo of himself he chooses to accompany the pieces that he wants to be seen as a guru, and I find that underlying his apparently iconoclastic, see-thru-the-bull-but-in-an-intellectual-not-a-redneck-way is a deeply conservative mind...