The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

So what wine did you have for Christmas dinner?

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Started off the day with a Piper Heidseck brunch.
After that South African all the way! And stayed with one house...
With the starter (local shrimps) a lovely Mulderbosch Chardonnay 2004, after which with the turkey I had a Mulderbosch Faithful Hound Cabernet Sauvignon 2003, and my wife a Mulderbosch Cabernet Sauvignon Rose 2005.
For the cheese - well I had one bottle of Vergelegen Cabernet Sauvignon 2000 left and started on it.:clap: I'll finish it off tomorrow.
A wonder I could find the keyboard afterwards...:ROTFL::ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Our tradition for Christmas dinner is either a prime rib roast or lasagna, and this year it's lasagna. I've been working my way through my cellar to clean up some old favorites and will be opening my next to last bottle of 85 Mirassou Petit Sirah and my last bottle of 92 Solis Seducente (Italian style old-vine meritage). Desert and cheese is accompanied by a Ginestet sauternes. Next year it will be the prime rib and unless another significant "big beef" occasion occurs beforehand, my last bottles of 82 Vichon Cab and and 92 Stevenot Cab will come up for air ;)

Best,

helenhill

(Good old home cookin for the husband ,two pugs and myself)
BRUNCH: Sauted shallots & celery in butter than added lump crab with fresh pepper & a dash of hot sauce for the CREPES / fresh squeezed orange juice & grey goose with a dash of pelegrino sparkling water

LUNCH: Caviar / Two Hard Goat Cheeses (One from Spain:Garotxa the other from Cypress Midnight Moon accompanied with Croccantini Crackers/ Chateau Puech-Haut 2005 Rose'

DINNER: Goose with chestnut & fig stuffing, Sweet Potatoes, Cranberrie Sauce, Grilled Asparagus / Christmas Sangria: Fresh Squeezed OJ, grand Mariner, Brandy, Fresh Cherries & Orange slices with a Nouveau Beaujolais with the theme of something old something new

Dessert: Homemade apple pie with Devon Creme / espresso

and then if we have survived all this........ a hot toddie before bed
CHEERS AND LOVE TO ALL
PEACE ON EARTH (may Bush leave office soon)
Helen

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
We made filet Mignon on the grill with a ginger garlic marinade. I cooked them whole for 15 people . First i use coal to cook so I charred them first , than indirect cooked them the rest of the way. Stuffed baked , asparagus grilled with olive oil , garlic and parmesian cheese. Also a big Greek salad and garlic bread. More red wine than I could count and my brother -in-laws in the restaurant business of course there was some really good ones. But if Jack remembers when we went to Ironstone winery 2 years ago up in the Yosemite area i popped there Cab. Franc and I drank that one. Very tasty. Needless to say i was in bed at 8:30 last night and was beat up from cooking, cleaning, eating and drinking. Very nice meal to celebrate Christmas. It's ALWAYS my house every year. My wife and I are just nuts to do this every year,we do all the work.

Desert homemade German Chocalte cake to die for. My wife is one hell of a cook, no doubts about that one. I did not get fat eating McDonalds. LOL

Lars

Reserva Casillero del Diablo Carmenere 2005, Valle Central, Chile (Concha y Toro).

It's a bit young, love the Carmenere grape though. Have to do with what's available on Malta which is a bit limited. I'm a bit weak for Chilean wines, there are some amazing winemakers down there but they don't seem to export the top of the crop much.

(Of course, the tradition from back home calls for a special brew of beer, together with Akvavit variations.)

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Pre dinner: Jacoby 1993 Riesling.

Dinner: Prime Rib, twice baked potatoes , Fresh baked rolls, Salad, etc.

Post dinner: Nice Port from Frank's Family Vineyard (Napa, CA).

Riley

The tradition here is for officers to serve the ranks their Christmas dinner, so i duly visit my last posting to fulfil that duty even during my military retirement. Hence its a mixed bag of stuff you can snaffoo off a plate in a given opportunity. Thats a plethora of common meats, some pretty fancy deserts (pretty fond of the Bailey's ice cream) and something chef called goey stuff, that tasted great if you could get it off the plates.

Drinks are another matter, this year i made sure we would be well stocked with various reds and whites, my own contribution a rather nice Sauvignon Blanc from JP Chenet, and some soft cab savs circa 2003/5 from the many local wineries, Ive an old ulcer so I prefer the soft reds.

Needless to say the rest of the officers and the chefs cooks were pretty plastered come the end of dinner, just in time for a friendly sword fight or two in the connecting passageways. Although this year no-body died my partner points out there is the odd button missing from my dress 'A's and a blade nick on the shoulder which is her problem anyway 8)

I had a great time in the Army and I love to go back to visit, but Im having an even greater time out of it There comes a point where you are just over it and feel the need to take it easy on friends and family especially in the given circumstances of today.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all the compliments of the season, and whatever your Christmas persuasion a happy Festivus to all
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festivus

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Prior to dinner we went to a small Munich church and saw a children's Christmas pageant.
Then we walked back to the house where everyone gathered for the lighting of the (real) candles on the Christmas tree. Gifts were slowly handed out. A proper amount, one per person except for the baby.
During the present opening we sipped an unlabeled 1962 icewein from my host's family's cellers in the Rheingau.
Dinner was a raclett accompanied by a light red wine (swiss, I think).
Finished with too much Aquavit.
Can't remember much more but it was wonderful. :grin:

Next day we caught the morning train at Munich Hautpbahnhof for Prague

-bob

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Bob I think you need to take me on your travels , you know i can just give you a constant workshop teachings. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Your Christmas sounded wonderful

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
My Christmas dinner wine was Gatorade with clear broth and apple sauce for the dinner. Picked up a vile stomach bug in San Antonio and just missed the hospital.