The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Reuters' Best photos of the year 2012

tashley

Subscriber Member

Reuters has published its list of best photographs taken in 2012.

95 powerful images, many of them very sad and scary.

Best photos of the year 2012 | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters
Fascinating. I loved flicking through them all, stopping to read some captions, and then trying afterwards to remember some and see which ones proved 'sticky' in my mind. They were:

Death Row cages
Chinese women sunbathing with masks on
Goat in taxi
Puppy with corpse of mother
Crow perched on skeleton in Ganges
Israeli child settler shielding face from Palestinian lady with iPhone
Gay man being beaten up in Ukraine.

A lot of brilliant images but I did sometimes find myself questioning whether I could (or anyone should) have taken some of them. And boy, are there an awful lot of Canons, mostly 5DII, and boy are there hardly ANY Nikons!

Thanks for sharing!

V

Vivek

Thanks, Steen!

I will still be studying them for a while. Some nicely thought out images and some nice captures as they happened. Looks like a good mix.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) And boy, are there an awful lot of Canons, mostly 5DII, and boy are there hardly ANY Nikons! (...)

I found the hint and link at bythom.com
At his blog (PJ Followup, Dec 5, 2012) Thom Hogan says:

"The large Canon bias is mostly because Reuters has tended to buy Canon product for thier staff.
We are not looking at an un-biased sample in terms of brand.
Plenty of photojournalists and other agencies have Nikon gear, it's just that Reuters is a Canon shop."

And before that (in: What Pro PJ's Do, Dec 4, 2012) Thom Hogan wrote:

"A photography buff on Reddit decided to take the Reuters best photographs of 2012 and analyze the EXIF information to look for commonalities.
This was then compiled into graphics by another Reddit user, and then published as a
news article by petapixel.com."