The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GAS madness

Tim

As most here, I am afflicted with the GAS issue. :facesmack:

I sometimes dream of paring it all back to one body and a compact and be done. I think after my DP2M I'm hopping off the "bleeding edge". I see the GH2 has now hit US$499 and really that is a lot of camera for the $$. I paid more than twice that for my OM-D and the differences are there but subtle. I think many photogs keep up by going for last years tech - saving some bucks along the way. Does it really affect our images that much having the latest? Could we be better image makers becoming more familiar with our tools - keep them longer to know them better? Maybe miss each upgrade doing alternate versions? I dunno. :poke:

What do you think? Do you love your collection of aging technology? How many M8 buyers didn't upgrade to a M9 and still use their M8?

I am now dividing the loss on each used digital camera sold between the images made with it, and it could be a figure in excess of Kodachrome processing per frame from film days. :eek:

GAS. I know its been discussed before but I need some input here people! :loco:

Shashin

I am not probably the best person to give an answer because I really don't like shopping. The first rule of not buying something is to stop looking. Those point-of-purchase displays work because people simply are impulsive.

This is my "philosophy" for cameras and in no particular order. Buy quality simply because it lasts longer. Buy something that is not simply a duplicate--I never understood photographers that had a whole bunch of 35mm SLRs. And know thyself. if I buy or try something that I really never use, then I don't make the same mistake again. It sounds obvious, but after sometime on forums like this, lots of folks are selling something because it is, for example, too big, then go and buy a big camera a few years later because they think they are missing something only to sell it again. And I am always looking for ways to simplify or streamline my gear: do I really need that much gear?

It is funny. The less stuff I have, the more photography I do and the more satisfying it is.

However, some people really like buying cameras. If you are simply addicted to the gear, admit it and stop torturing yourself. As long as your not staving your kids and dog and stealing from little old ladies to fund your addiction, then just enjoy it. If you are thinking this is some logical economic pursuit, you are crazy. You save the most money by not spending it. If you want to "invest," then stocks and bonds are better than consumer goods. Just come clean and say you like to waste your money on cameras in that case and forget the guilt. Repeat after me: my name is Tim and I buy cameras...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I programmed my Mac to give me a serious electrical shock when I hit "add to cart""

That fixed my GAS quick. LOL

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I hardly ever buy the latest model. Last week, I bought almost unused GH1 and GH2 bodies for very nice prices. Why? Because I'm very happy with the performance of my GH1, but if I'm going to use this for work related stuff, I need more than one body. I know an OM-D and/or a GH3 would offer additional features and even better image quality, but would that really increase my enjoyment of taking photos, and would my clients notice? Hardly.

Most of my Nikon gear was bought the same way; the 80-200 AF-S after the 70-200 was launched, the D2Xs (like new, with 5,000 clicks) for 10% of its original new price, and they both work excellently. I have way too much gear, but most of it have come at very reasonable prices :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi, my name is Tim and I... I buy cameras

Now there is an idea... where do I buy that now??
Just move to Thailand. At the house where I'm sitting now, I get small electric shocks whenever I touch a metal part of my MacBook if it's connected to the charger.

This happens even if I haven't bought any new gear in days!
Guess it must be punishment for sins accumulated throughout the years :rolleyes:

Godfrey

For the past two years, I've been experimenting and acquiring a ton of gear in the process. I've discovered a lot of things about what I want, what I like, and what will produce the work I want to do next. They're not always the same.

I'm now at the end of that. I have what I will work with, and I have ideas about what to pursue with it. The next year, I'll be letting go of the extra.

I won't be down to "one body, one lens" or anything like that. But my kit is going to become much smaller in another year.

Regards whether I like my "old" gear: I still like the Olympus E-1 more than most other DSLRs I've tried. I still love the old Nikon F from 1972. The Voigtländer Perkeo II and Balda Baldix are a joy. And my trusty Rollei 35S ... well, you get the gist. ;-)

Now that I've become settled in what I want to pursue, and what equipment is going to get me there, I'll have much less reason to even look at all the new stuff emerging into the marketplace.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of months ago I discovered a spare Hassy darkslide that has been sitting in my drawer of curiosities for about 15 years.
Since that investment had already been made, I decided to build the rest of the kit around it.
-bob

wjlapier

Kind of the same for me. Had this roll of film and decided to buy an ala carte M7. Then I needed a lens and since the M7 is BP I bought a BP 35 cron asph. Now that I shot that roll I need more film.

A couple of months ago I discovered a spare Hassy darkslide that has been sitting in my drawer of curiosities for about 15 years.
Since that investment had already been made, I decided to build the rest of the kit around it.
-bob

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
... which reminds me that I bought a lens hood for a Mamiya 80mm f/1.9 a year or so ago, just in case I should fancy buying a lens for it, and maybe a camera and another lens...

Tim

Kind of the same for me. Had this roll of film and decided to buy an ala carte M7. Then I needed a lens and since the M7 is BP I bought a BP 35 cron asph. Now that I shot that roll I need more film.
:bugeyes: I hope you don't have some engine oil lying about you may end up with a Bugatti Veyron.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Some of you may be joking, but I have used that technique quite effectively on myself. I bought some La Marzocco espresso cups and they just looked wrong without a machine to go with them. Unfortunately, a collection of Pentax 645 lenses never produced a 645D, so sometimes the spell doesn't work.

We are one strange species.

--Matt

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I have a number of friends whose primary hobby is carpentry.

None of them have only one saw, or one chisel, or one...well, you get it.

That's my rationale for three camera systems and I'm sticking to it.

Bil

Oh by the way, I do USE all of them.

bensonga

None of my family or friends really understand my interest in cameras. Yes, I know..."interest" could be a slight understatement.

They would probably be ok with it if I had only three camera systems, but honestly....ONLY three camera systems?

I'm impressed at your self-constraint Bill. Truly impressed.

However, I'm not sure that having three camera systems qualifies as confirmed case of GAS. Perhaps a very mild case?

I don't want to begin counting up my camera "systems". Maybe I can I count film and digital as "one" system, if lenses are interchangeable. That will help to reduce the count.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Often when I consider reducing the number of cameras or systems (I don't have that many... honestly :angel: ), I think about people who collect stamps. I mean, tiny pieces of paper that are supposed to be worth lots of monies? I even use my cameras, all of them :lecture:

Maybe I should have a closer look at one of those brand-new-in-box F-1 bodies the next time I visit Hong Kong :D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I use Nikon out of convenience, not of passion (except maybe the F6 and the D2Xs). My criteria for choosing a camera is that it represented State of the Art within its category at the time of manufacture and that it's good industrial design. Unfortunately, many cameras fall into this category, so what I buy is often a coincience. If what seems to be a good deal comes up while I have some money to spare, I tend to buy. But you are right, I don't have any Canon gear, so buying an F-1 would be a few extra steps. But sooner or later... :)

bensonga

I use Nikon out of convenience, not of passion (except maybe the F6 and the D2Xs). My criteria for choosing a camera is that it represented State of the Art within its category at the time of manufacture and that it's good industrial design. Unfortunately, many cameras fall into this category, so what I buy is often a coincience. If what seems to be a good deal comes up while I have some money to spare, I tend to buy. But you are right, I don't have any Canon gear, so buying an F-1 would be a few extra steps. But sooner or later... :)
Ok, ok....but I'm still holding out hope that you will be the first one here at GetDPI to buy a F1, not an F-1, but a real, honest to god F1. :D