The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture Integration in Carmel CA

Don Libby

Anyone who knows Ken Doo and myself realize at the offset we're slightly different. Make that more fun loving, slightly quirky. Ken's in is mid 40s and I turn 65 next year; we both act like adolescents and that's on a good day!

Ken and I have been friends for sometime now and decided a few years ago to begin hosting a gathering called "Pigs in a Blanket" after a great breakfast place near Carmel. Our first "Pigs" was 2009 when everyone who came met Chris Lawrey of Capture Integration fame. 2010 brought out Doug which we fear scared him for life then 2011 Dave Gallagher decided to add some class to the act. Nothing happened in 2012 and that wasn't because we were on probation - at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it....

2013 brings us back together February 15th to 17th or 18th depending on a plan Ken has up his sleeve. This isn't a workshop but more of a gathering of like mined people. I understand that while Dave Gallagher will be bringing out tech cameras he'll also have other goodies in his bags. We've never charged a dime for this thinking that you get what you pay for. That said - Dave will be presenting a half day class on C1Pro which there will be a $49.00 charge for. There's limited seating for the class and you'll need to contact Dave directly for this.

So if this isn't a "Pigs in a Blanket" then what do we call this? How bout Capture Integrations heads west?

Plan on shooting half a day in and around San Francisco before turning south on the coast with dinner in Half Moon Bay and shooting at Pigeon Point lighthouse at sunset. Saturday and Sunday will be full days and if Ken gets his way we may have a surprise tour on Monday.

Count this as advance warning on what isn't being called "Pigs in a Blanket #4" but will be just as much fun as if it were.

We'll be posting more information shortly. If you're in the Carmel, Monterey, San Francisco area or else where for that matter and want to join us let us know. Just make certain your shots are up to date.....:D

Don

Last edited:

kdphotography

You can register for Capture Integration in Carmel 2013 with Capture Integration in Atlanta, and there should be something on the CI website shortly. Cost for the weekend is $49, and this includes lunch on Sunday. No Pigs in a Blanket (at least not mandatory) this year so you're safe Jack... :D

Following the Capture One Pro 7 class on Sunday, we're planning an intro to B&W K7 MPS printing (matte and glossy) using the studio's newly converted 9890. The idea is to print images that have been worked up from the weekend, but if you've got a special image to print in B&W, contact me for information on how to prepare your file (full res 16 bit TIFF grayscale) for print.

I'll have a pdf of the tentative schedule for this year's CI in Carmel available shortly... I think you can search GetDPI for "CI in Carmel" or "Pigs" to view threads on previous years' outings...

ken

kdphotography

Sorry I've been a bit slow to get the pdf of our tentative schedule posted---it's the holidays and I've been swamped!

We're still working on some details...

Reservations for CI in Carmel can be accomplished at the Capture Integration Website. From the top menu bar, click on "Company" and scroll down to "Events." Though the wine may be flowing freely, you can ignore the "wine country" description---that's actually a future endeavor for Wine, Dine, and Schwein in Napa. ;)

ken

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I will be in the neighborhood the day before but the big question is will Mariah be there?
-bob

kdphotography

OK, I will be in the neighborhood the day before but the big question is will Mariah be there?
-bob
Is this one of those trick questions? If I answer "yes" I'm sure this will peak (or is that peek?) the interest of at least a handful of guys. On the other hand, this may also mean at least several guys being denied permission to attend by their significant others... :ROTFL:

There may be a different guest appearance depending on the schedule...I'm working on it so that's all I can say for now... :angel:

ken

kdphotography

How are we on the police permits?
Should I be carrying?
In studio we're okay since the property is privately held. Out and about on location I'm still checking on necessary permits for this cool new accessory that we just installed on Don't truck just in time for CI in Carmel: TRAILER-HITCH-MOUNTED STRIPPER POLE - Dave Barry Gift Guide - MiamiHerald.com

And the double-good news is that it also doubles as a studio camera stand on location. :D

Bob, if you're up to it I guess you can carry her. Someone's gotta help the ladies up onto Don's truck.... :ROTFL:
(okay, so it really is Don dancing on the truck...)

Last edited:

jlm

Workshop Member
I'm interested, will see if my NY biz will let me escape...
the days are fri, sat, sun? feb 15, et al?

kdphotography

I look forward to seeing you all there!

Are you bringing your new Alpa FPS, Graham? :D

Hope you can make it John---There will be a heavy technical camera presence and I think it would be great to have you share your handiwork, such as your viewfinder and the HPF ring work.

Itinerary schedule remains flexible and I'm still working on alternatives/options as may be needed.

Some have asked about Carmel-Monterey hotels. There are tons of places in the Carmel area, all are very nice and most have that Carmel (dante's) surcharge. Carmel Resort Inn (cottages) run from $170, and are located only a few blocks from my studio. Carmel Resort Inn Cottages, Hotels in Carmel By The Sea, California

The Hilton Garden Inn in Monterey is just off the Aguajito exit, minutes from Carmel. Hotels in Monterey, CA - Hilton Garden Inn Monterey Hotel

Late add: Quality Inn. $73. 1058 Munras Ave., Monterey, CA, US, 93940 Phone: (831) 372-3381.

There are many other hotels available in the area, including the Hyatt, Embassy Suites, and Holiday Inn Express...

ken

Last edited:

kdphotography

We're fully booked.

Proposed itinerary/schedule is flexible if needed to account for weather. Best photography conditions often precede/follow what lay people think might be horrible weather. But if it does get miserable stormy outside, that's no fun either. A figure model session is planned in studio as an option (think B&W K7 printing) , as well as expanded C1Pro 7 class time and B&W K7 printing.

If you have a special B&W image that you would like to print (as opposed to one from the CI weekend), bring a full resolution, 16 bit TIF image file on a thumb drive. Contact me on how the file should be prepared for K7 printing.

I look forward to seeing everyone there! I'll be the slightly shorter guy. But not as funny looking. :D

ken

kdphotography

Be aware that CI in Carmel starts in San Francisco at the Sutro Baths on Friday, February 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM. Our route takes us down the coast from Half Moon Bay down Hwy 1. The day ends back in Carmel, which is about a two hour drive from SF.

Those coming in from out of town may wish to start their stays in SF, and then seek hotels in the Carmel-Monterey area for the remainder of the weekend.

If you scan upwards on this thread (Post #13) you will see a few hotels/places to stay. The local area is somewhat small, and everything seems to be a "ten minute drive" to Carmel. It is a tourist destination and there are many excellent hotels and restaurants.

Ken